Re: Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jessey

Post by Jessey »

I would suggest you take the time to learn more about software development before trying to propose unreasonable tasks. I would also you suggest you try to better understand what the goal of ReactOS is.
yet you have classic shell, kde/qt, gnome (yes there is a windows port), and even a unix emulator. If someone wants to try to come up with ideas in a positive matter then there should be no said reason to turn away an nother person away from said poject and spread more rummors about the reactos forum, witch are not needed. I personaly don't care, as the shell is the last thing I have to worry about. :D :D :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As soon as gigaherz managed to make the shell sort of Windows compatible, we can talk about optimizations, but first this biiig task is needed. The work he already spent there are looking verrrry promising though.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Win2K as a default, shows it is a serious o/s. All the other stuff can be done by themeing.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Win2K as a default, shows it is a serious o/s. All the other stuff can be done by themeing.
This is not correct. The modern start menu has an own class called cPersonalStartMenu
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes but I'm talking about look and feel. If people want a different GUI then it can be done through look and feel.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Kargaroc586

Post by Kargaroc586 »

You can hide shortcuts/symlinks that point to executables from the desktop, and instead display them in the beginning of the start menu (separated by a line, like how WinNT4 does it).
You can also make the start menu display a special program group that all programs think is the root of the start menu. This would contain all of the program groups that installers create.

Most installers tend to create a program group in the start menu root (with shortcut, uninstaller), and a shortcut on the desktop. This would clean up both of these problems, automatically.

You should make the icon hiding optional per-icon if you do this, cause sometimes a person may want to have an icon specifically on the desktop.