ROS Mentioned as Alternative Operating System

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: ROS Mentioned as Alternative Operating System

Post by PurpleGurl »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Do they have to be transexual?
No, but I had ties to that community and she happened to be, and that was where I learned about her.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Do they have to be transexual?
Nope, seems that any girl, or any girl enclosed in a boy body(sorry about not knowing the proper term in English) is also a potential candidate. So there is no obligation to be transexual really.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

vicmarcal wrote:sorry about not knowing the proper term in English
It's Ladyboy I think.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

gonzoMD wrote:
It's Ladyboy I think.
No it is not. The proper term is transsexual, and I like Vic's comment. I will discuss this more in the OT forum, since thread hijacking takes away from the current discussion and is discouraged by the rules.

The reason the topic took this turn is not only because of the link I posted, but an off-hand comment I made about Lynn Conway. The next poster didn't realize the sentence after the TS comment narrowed the scope to only one person. So they assumed I was saying we needed to look for TS women in colleges to help us, when I was only mentioning one person as a possible prospect (who happened to once have TSism). I later removed the TS comment since it was not germane to the topic and already confused one person. But that omission may have steered the followup comments since there was then the assumption that the comment was about the women coding project (which is open to female-born women and those who currently identify as women despite their original or even current anatomical status, so they include pre-op TS women, post-op TS women, and transgendered male-born folks who habitually live as women and will never get surgery).

Anyway, it is a good thing we are being mentioned in articles. All positive awareness will help us. A limited amount of "negative" attention might be beneficial if it generates sympathy (and thus funds or someone willing to "get their hands dirty" and help fix it). However, I think we should strive for positive press.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:
gonzoMD wrote:
It's Ladyboy I think.
No it is not. The proper term is transsexual, and I like Vic's comment. I will discuss this more in the OT forum, since thread hijacking takes away from the current discussion and is discouraged by the rules.

The reason the topic took this turn is not only because of the link I posted, but an off-hand comment I made about Lynn Conway. The next poster didn't realize the sentence after the TS comment narrowed the scope to only one person. So they assumed I was saying we needed to look for TS women in colleges to help us, when I was only mentioning one person as a possible prospect (who happened to once have TSism). I later removed the TS comment since it was not germane to the topic and already confused one person. But that omission may have steered the followup comments since there was then the assumption that the comment was about the women coding project (which is open to female-born women and those who currently identify as women despite their original or even current anatomical status, so they include pre-op TS women, post-op TS women, and transgendered male-born folks who habitually live as women and will never get surgery).[...]
This whole thread has taken a bizarre turn.
Last edited by Webunny on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

React os does not run on most peoples hardware hence why most people think that it does not as most of the devlopers have to many things to do or things they need to fix. Unlike React OS Haiku runs on a large amount of hardware and Haiku also has a higher level of qaulity with their releases. What? Each Relase is stable like a brick, I have never crashed/bricked haiku. unlike reactos. This is because unlike reactos haiku forcused on stabablity and is still working on compatability, hence why I have extra frustrations to reactos. Also can we stay on topic please. I am not trying to make this sound like an insult, but then again most of you don't care.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:This whole thread has taken a bizarre turn.
Agreed, but all is not lost. We all agree that positive press is always helpful, and I think we all agree that we should get more creative when it comes to funding and finding developers.
Jessey wrote:React os does not run on most peoples hardware hence why most people think that it does not as most of the devlopers have to many things to do or things they need to fix. Unlike React OS Haiku runs on a large amount of hardware and Haiku also has a higher level of qaulity with their releases. What? Each Relase is stable like a brick, I have never crashed/bricked haiku. unlike reactos. This is because unlike reactos haiku forcused on stabablity and is still working on compatability, hence why I have extra frustrations to reactos. Also can we stay on topic please. I am not trying to make this sound like an insult, but then again most of you don't care.
I'm not sure how large or complex of an OS Haiku is, but the more complex it is, the longer it takes to develop it, and the more possibilities for instability. The developers are aware that stability is a problem, and in the last meeting, they decided it would be good to focus on bug reports that result in BSOD and application crashes, and just going by the commit logs, I say they are making progress.

As for being OT, we all know that, and I think most of us have apologized and moved on (and I might make a topic in OT to help tie up the loose ends), so no need to continue this line of discussion here.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

I am supirsed that they did not put skyos on there list.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Jessey wrote:I am supirsed that they did not put skyos on there list.
Hmm, never heard of that one.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

http://www.skyos.org/I don't know how they could have not heard of sky os. back in its heyday people thought it might be the next windows. :D
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Jessey wrote:http://www.skyos.org/I don't know how they could have not heard of sky os. back in its heyday people thought it might be the next windows. :D
It looks mostly defunct.