Question

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

viper1745

Question

Post by viper1745 »

1. when the new reactos will be released?
2. will all windows games work on it from the ones from the 90's to today games?
3. will all drivers and software work on it like my logitech G19S keyboard and my G700S mouse and my radeon HD graphic card?
rachid

Re: Question

Post by rachid »

1 - Idk maybe 201x, maybe 202x
2 - yes
3 - yes

I think...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

viper1745 wrote:1. when the new reactos will be released?
2. will all windows games work on it from the ones from the 90's to today games?
3. will all drivers and software work on it like my logitech G19S keyboard and my G700S mouse and my radeon HD graphic card?
1. Unknown (but not very soon as in the next few weeks, in any case)
2. No
3. No

Even when the new ROS (do you mean the RCE?) comes out, it still will be alpha, meaning not ready for everyday use.

That said, you CAN already vote for the wallpapers (trunk release) here!: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466

@rachid: I think he was referring to the next (=new) release, not the endgoal of the finished ROS 1.0.
viper1745

Post by viper1745 »

@webunny i was referring to the new one and i was hopeing it would run all of the apps including games and my drivers to my hardware i mostly gaming on my pc after a long day of work that how i unwind
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

viper1745 wrote:@webunny i was referring to the new one and i was hopeing it would run all of the apps including games and my drivers to my hardware i mostly gaming on my pc after a long day of work that how i unwind
What exactly do you mean by "new one"? The next release? Then, for both questions 2 and 3 the answer is a safe no, by a long shot; it won't get *that* better in a short time, and the rate at which ReactOS makes releases is usually no smaller than one every two years. That's too short a time frame to fix all of the compatibility issues. Even more, from a practical POV, ReactOS is not likely to achieve 100% apps and drivers compatibility, and will probably be called feature complete when it gets 99% of them to work properly, so it would still be a no for 100%, but not every app you try should have a high chance of working out of the box in that distant future. If you mean "final ReactOS", then the asnwer is probably yes, but the time when it will come will be at least in a few years, and might even be in the next decade or later. Keep in mind it's not supposed to be even considered beta until after 0.5. Right now, we are (admittedly nearing its end, or so we hope) in the 0.3 series. I believe there aren't that many missing components for 0.4, IIRC the old roadmap (not reliable, but the best I have to use as a guide) it involved having a explorer_new in good shape under ReactOS (which right now mostly means shell work, and not work on explorer_new itself) and network and USB drivers working reliably, but I might be wrong. That doesn't say a thing about compatibility with other applications, although the shell work should improve some of them.
Last edited by mrugiero on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

mrugiero wrote:
viper1745 wrote:@webunny i was referring to the new one and i was hopeing it would run all of the apps including games and my drivers to my hardware i mostly gaming on my pc after a long day of work that how i unwind
What exactly do you mean by "new one"? The next release? Then, for both questions 2 and 3 the answer is a safe no, by a long shot; it won't get *that* better in a short time, and the rate at which ReactOS makes releases is usually no smaller than one every two years. That's too short a time frame to fix all of the compatibility issues. Even more, from a practical POV, ReactOS is not likely to achieve 100% apps and drivers compatibility, and will probably be called feature complete when it gets 99% of them to work properly, so it would still be a no for 100%, but not every app you try should have a high chance of working out of the box in that distant future. If you mean "final ReactOS", then the asnwer is probably yes, but the time when it will come will be at least in a few years, and might even be in the next decade or later. Keep in mind it's not supposed to be even considered alpha until after 0.5. Right now, we are (admittedly nearing its end, or so we hope) in the 0.3 series. I believe there aren't that many missing components for 0.4, IIRC the old roadmap (not reliable, but the best I have to use as a guide) it involved having a explorer_new in good shape under ReactOS (which right now mostly means shell work, and not work on explorer_new itself) and network and USB drivers working reliably, but I might be wrong. That doesn't say a thing about compatibility with other applications, although the shell work should improve some of them.
You mean beta. It's already alpha.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Webunny wrote: You mean beta. It's already alpha.
Nice spot.
viper1745

Post by viper1745 »

mrugiero wrote:
Nice spot.
so the one you guys raised $25,141 not going to be released cause you guys didnt raised $50,000?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Just not as quickly...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
viper1745

Post by viper1745 »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Just not as quickly...
ok since you know what version i am taking about ill ask you the same question. will all windows games work on it the ones from the 90's to today games?. will all drivers and software work on it like my logitech G19S keyboard and my G700S mouse and my radeon HD graphic card?.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

viper1745 wrote:
mrugiero wrote:
Nice spot.
so the one you guys raised $25,141 not going to be released cause you guys didnt raised $50,000?
Oh, so that's what you meant by "the new ReactOS"? The RCE? Yes, it's going to be released, but it's going to take more time than if the $50000 were raised. Still, the very same IGG page stated it wouldn't feature 100% compatibility in that edition, but instead would focus on being compatible with software and hardware chosen by the backers, so the answers remain exactly the same.
viper1745

Post by viper1745 »

okie dokie.. i guess i will stick with failuresoft windows cause i do gaming on my pc as well on my Playstation® 4 i dont only gaming on my pc i do other stuff like video editing.. recording my game play with my blackmagic design intensity pro.. etc
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It won't be ready for a while yet but you can speed things up by installing a VM and trying your software and reporting any bugs you find.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Also keep in mind there was a restriction in the IGG project about which apps could be the focus, they must make no heavy use of 3D, as for it to be usable you need:
- a complete, or near complete, implementation of at least DirectX9.0c or OpenGL 3.3, as most modern games take those as the minimum requirement; this is for the bare minimum, software rendering; the latter could theoretically be covered by mesa, which currently nears OpenGL 4.0 support, but I'm not sure if it is still able to build for Windows (and, of course, ReactOS);
- a lot of graphics drivers infrastructure that IIRC is still missing, for providing hardware acceleration.

This practically means RCE will not be ready for gaming by 0.4.0.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

There was never any timeframe for the delivery of RCE, so it's not possible to say how much longer it will take to release with $25,141 worth of funding than if it had received $50,000. It will be released when it meets the community's requirements, which depends on what software and hardware the community chose. It's probably safe to bet that it will be released sometime between tomorrow and December 31, 2099. Whenever it releases, it will certainly not be compatible with all games from the 90s until today, and it will certainly not be compatible with all drivers and software. Those goals are likely to be (mostly) reached in v1.0, which will be released anywhere from a year to a thousand years after ReactOS Community Edition, depending on funding and developer availability.

In the meantime, many people enjoy using Linux and running Windows software under WINE, both of which are free.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.