My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #1
UPD Now as for r66089 it works, but USB keyboard and mouse - dont.
FAIL

livecd-63709-rel.iso @ CD-R
no usb devices attached (except mouse and keyboard)
AHCI is enabled, but CD-drive is PATA

CPU-Z report http://pastebin.com/X7UhYyBp
Custom PC, AMD\ATI based
Socket AM2+ (not the AM3!!)

8 gb od RAM installed

[ external image ][ external image ]
[ external image ][ external image ]

[ external image ]

==========================================
FAIL

livecd-63712-dbg.iso @ CD-R

For real debuglog see 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmdifqAWjk
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by EmuandCo »

use debug to screen boot method...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

See the last screenshot =) it is output to screen
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

/me makes EmuandCo notices that it is precisely what jedi-to-be used for his last picture... :P
EDIT: I see that jedi-to-be was faster than me to answer ^^
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #2

WIN,native resolution, everything works except network (no drivers installed).

no usb devices attached (exept mouse)

Laptop ACER Aspire 5750G - 2454G50Mnkk
Intel Core i5/nVidia based
8 gb of RAM installed

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspir ... hdd/specs/ - specs

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #3

FAIL, spams with lots of errors and reboots

no usb devices attached

Laptop EMACHINES E732ZG - P623G50Mnkk
Intel Pentium/ ATI Radeon based
8 gb of RAM installed
http://notebook.tech-details.com/eMachi ... Mnkk/#spec - specs

See video for debuglog (720p) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdOQAJXG0c

================================================================================================
FAIL, cant do backtraces as it reboots immediately
livecd-63712-dbg.iso

see 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaquBcedJhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGcMFaH4pI
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #4

CD-drive is PATA
usb devices attached Mouse, keyboard, scanner, printer

Custom PC, VIA based
VIA Embedded Board ( EPIA-M900-12LQ / SBC / Mini-ITX / VIA QuadCore X4 1.2Ghz VIA VX900H, specs) + Rosewill RC-215 Controller Card (VIA VT6421A PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 )
8 gb of RAM installed

[ external image ]
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Jedi-to-be wrote:Case #4

CD-drive is PATA
usb devices attached Mouse, keyboard, scanner, printer

Custom PC, VIA based
VIA Embedded Board ( EPIA-M900-12LQ / SBC / Mini-ITX / VIA QuadCore X4 1.2Ghz VIA VX900H, Rosewill RC-215 Controller Card[/url] (VIA VT6421A PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 )
8 gb of RAM installed

Feel free to put it here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, you did not what I wanted you to. Use DBG ISOs. REL is useless in output matters.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope, you did not what I wanted you to. Use DBG ISOs. REL is useless in output matters.
i have updated my message on case #3, please see it again.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope, you did not what I wanted you to. Use DBG ISOs. REL is useless in output matters.
BTW, do we have dual-purpose boot&install CD's yet?

I always thought that was a shortcoming on ROS' part - which shouldn't be that hard to get right, for a dev (we already have one and the other, after all). It is rather apparent that a lot of 'ordinary' people wanting to test it out, would try the live-cd version first. But, IF they like it, they would rather install it from that live-CD as well: I don't think there is much sense in making them download yet another ROS-ISO just to install it.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

No Webbunny, there are currently no boot+live (aka. hybrid) cd downloadable. The reason is basically the following, that for devs and people who want to quickly regress-test things, it is faster to download just a bootcd than a hybrid cd (especially if you don't have fast internet), mainly because currently live cd contents is not a ram disk image mounted, but just the files organized as they would be on your hdd, but on the cd (--> no compression etc...). It does not mean that making a hybrid cd is not feasible (eg. the cds given at the yearly Chemnitzer Linux Tage are hybrid cds).
Maybe this current state would be reconsidered as soon as we get a proper ramdisk image support in ReactOS (working driver and working things in the kernel), that we do not have currently. For that (/me looks at all the people in the forums): "Patches are welcome (tm)" :)
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Video with real debug output for the first case has been provided.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

hbelusca wrote:No Webbunny, there are currently no boot+live (aka. hybrid) cd downloadable. The reason is basically the following, that for devs and people who want to quickly regress-test things, it is faster to download just a bootcd than a hybrid cd (especially if you don't have fast internet), mainly because currently live cd contents is not a ram disk image mounted, but just the files organized as they would be on your hdd, but on the cd (--> no compression etc...). It does not mean that making a hybrid cd is not feasible (eg. the cds given at the yearly Chemnitzer Linux Tage are hybrid cds).
Maybe this current state would be reconsidered as soon as we get a proper ramdisk image support in ReactOS (working driver and working things in the kernel), that we do not have currently. For that (/me looks at all the people in the forums): "Patches are welcome (tm)" :)

Hehe. Nice one, hbelu. Subtle. I see you've read viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13250&start=45#p110259 ;-). Truth be told, I only noticed on second read. But, as said, I don't mind. :D

Now, ok. Basically, what you're saying is, that it's easier for the devs not too use such a CD. And that it would be easier if it could be ramdisk image mounted. Very well. No doubt that's true.

But that doesn't change what I said, does it? I mean, whether or not it's easier for devs, my point was, that it's easier for users, certainly the 'ordinary' kind, to have a live+install CD. So, while I can understand your argument, it's only valid from a strict (limited) personal perspective (=theirs). However, being devs and wanting to promote ROS (at least, I would presume) it's not only what they themselves fancy, but what users would like as well. At least, that's what one would expect from people that have a wider and deeper goal than just having it easy themselves, when using ROS. So...I'm all for your appeal for patches and what not, but the argument thou brings forth is rather egocentric in nature. If they want to (better) promote ROS, they should make a hybrid CD, whether or not they personally would use it (imho). Since, apparently, we do(?) have one each year..I guess nothing excludes making it a bit more up-to-date. I dunno: a quarterly updated distribution?

Btw, hbel, don't forget to vote on the wallpapers!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Interesting... please provide us a Jira Report with that information. That's indeed a interesting problem... Did you try to install with without ACPI HAL?