China and Korean Government are shifting away from Windows

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rizalmartin

China and Korean Government are shifting away from Windows

Post by rizalmartin »

China and Korea Government are now planning to move away from windows after Windows 7 end of life. They prohibiting from using Windows 8. They are seeking for open source alternative. I think that is a good opportunity to seek help from them for developing React OS.

http://english.etnews.com/computing/2963926_1301.html
As the support for the Microsoft (MS) Windows XP service is terminated this year, the government will try and invigorate open source software in order to solve the problem of dependency on certain software. By 2020 when the support of the Windows 7 service is terminated, it is planning to switch to open OS and minimize damages. Industry insiders pointed out that the standard e-document format must be established and shared as an open source before open source software is invigorated.

At the ‘Open Source Software Invigoration Policy Debate,’ hosted by the Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning and held on June 25 at the Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies in Seoul, Lee Hyeok-jae, head of the Software Industry Promotion Division of the National IT Industry Promotion Agency (NIPA) announced the interim result of the ‘Open Source Software Invigoration Plan’ established by the industry-university-research experts (Open Source Software Policy Study Group) last April. The open source software invigoration plan was established with the aim of creating a computing environment not biased toward a certain OS and making a domestic open source software ecosystem through cooperation between the private and public sector.
tomleem

Re: China and Korean Government are shifting away from Windo

Post by tomleem »

Since ReactOS is open source, China and Korea can adapt it to whatever they want and/or need and not be restricted to whatever Microsoft wants to give them. I think it would also mean faster computers since ROS (IMO) would not have the 'bloat' that Windows seems to have (in an increasing amount with each newer version). :ugeek:

Hopefully they will contribute to ReactOS too. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
rizalmartin

Post by rizalmartin »

I wish those countries contribute codes for ReactOS by performing researches across their schools and universities in order to speed up the process of React OS developement.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

However someone has to contact them right now.
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

jonaspm wrote:However someone has to contact them right now.
Who's up to it?
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

The_French_Rat wrote:
jonaspm wrote:However someone has to contact them right now.
Who's up to it?
You!
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

"Which" Korea? - There was a certain Korea with some "Red Star Linux"... And China has "Red Flag Linux"... :D

But yeah, I do give a chance for ReactOS in these countries. In reality, Windows XP is pretty much all you actually "need", if you can afford only very modest hardware. ReactOS is perfect for that.
ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

Aeneas wrote:"Which" Korea? - There was a certain Korea with some "Red Star Linux"... And China has "Red Flag Linux"... :D

But yeah, I do give a chance for ReactOS in these countries. In reality, Windows XP is pretty much all you actually "need", if you can afford only very modest hardware. ReactOS is perfect for that.

North Korea uses the Red Star OS which is based on Linux, China however did have Red Flag OS which is another OS based on linux but became obsolete due to funding issues, South Korea is the recent country that is or may be switching to opensource if the rumors are true. Though don't trust what you read online since nothing official has come out of the South Korean Government.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

But are they really pushing for a new non-Microsoft OS, or are they just specifically targeting Windows 8?

There are lots of places (companies) that are saying "No Windows 8", because all of the user interface BS makes user support and training among other things a nightmare. But Windows 9 or 10 might eventually be fine.
dgosborn2

Post by dgosborn2 »

I just stumbled on this thread. I actually already had plans to contact them and I know who to contact. I'm going to get with a politically savvy chinese guy I know and see if he will play ambasador for us.
middings

Post by middings »

The South China Morning Post reported August 2 that the maker of Red Flag Linux declared bankruptcy on June 27.

Chinese operating system? Still searching ...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Those are the persons who get in bankruptcy, not things...
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

One: China has gone with Ubuntu Kyrin so give up there. Second no one in asia cares what the goverment wants them to use, they just pirate windows any way. Now if the local goverments were smart they would redrict all of those pirates to the reactos web site and BOOM no more windows pirates and increase devlopement of reactos as they would have nothing elese to use.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Jessey wrote:One: China has gone with Ubuntu Kyrin so give up there. Second no one in Asia cares what the government wants them to use, they just pirate windows anyway. Now if the local governments were smart they would redirect all of those pirates to the ReactOS web site and BOOM no more windows pirates and increase development of ReactOS as they would have nothing else to use.
That would be a double-win. Nobody would need to pirate Windows, and the "hacker" types could pour their skill and energy into helping us.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

Realisticly Reactos could be a good tool for students to learn how and os works and how windows and such works. Also they need to here the software slavery talk. I heard it at Linux Fest Nothwest 2014. I can't remember who gave it, but he mentioned that the closed source software is the master and it controles what you can do with it and I agrea that would be a better way to reach people in asia where they pirate their software to use open source solutions like reactos.