Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by hbelusca »

oldman wrote:It's a nice picture, courtesy of nasa.
I thought to put the text 'ReactOS version 0.4.0', on the right, but having done it, I think the logo looks better, possible in place of the text on the right. So what do you think?
Note that nothing is set in stone, because the image I would up-load would be a gimp xcf file. Only a small image would be placed with it, just for others to see what it looked like.
I'm not sure putting "ReactOS Version 0.4" text on the right bottom is nice (if you want to have something like the windows version displaying, it's a registry setting, and the text appears on top of the wallpaper). And for the ReactOS logo in the wallpaper, can you try the same but without the white radiation emanating from it? (you can remove it by taking a svg version of the logo for example). But personally I think putting logos on landscape wallpapers is quite odd. You would better include them in abstract wallpapers (e.g. on windows, you might have noticed that the wallpapers where the windows logo is displayed in more or less fashionable ways don't show (nature) landscapes...).
oldman

Post by oldman »

hbelusca wrote: And for the ReactOS logo in the wallpaper, can you try the same but without the white radiation emanating from it?
Is this any better? I do not like the logo now, it needs to be darker and clearer.
[ external image ]

What do you suggest for submitting wallpapers? Just submit the the raw image as png, or submit a variety of common screen sizes?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

For submitting to Jira, maybe just the raw image... But we don't have policies for that at the moment, as far as I know...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

oldman wrote:
hbelusca wrote: And for the ReactOS logo in the wallpaper, can you try the same but without the white radiation emanating from it?
Is this any better? I do not like the logo now, it needs to be darker and clearer.
[ external image ]

What do you suggest for submitting wallpapers? Just submit the the raw image as png, or submit a variety of common screen sizes?
Probably is better to upload the design file instead the raw file. This way it's much easier to change/manipulate layers. I.e, I have several White versions of the Logo that would fit perfectly in that image.
oldman

Post by oldman »

vicmarcal wrote:
Probably is better to upload the design file instead the raw file. This way it's much easier to change/manipulate layers. I.e, I have several White versions of the Logo that would fit perfectly in that image.
You can find all the images here. Have fun!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:[ external image ]
It's a nice picture, courtesy of nasa.

I thought to put the text 'ReactOS version 0.4.0', on the right, but having done it, I think the logo looks better, possible in place of the text on the right. So what do you think?

Note that nothing is set in stone, because the image I would up-load would be a gimp xcf file. Only a small image would be placed with it, just for others to see what it looked like.

@ gamax92
I looked at this (Test = 40, Points = 10) and it looks quite nice; reminded me of clouds.
Spot on with your second sentence. I first looked at the picture, thinking: I wouldn't make a 'version' text in it. And: he should replace that with the logo, and thus put it on the right instead of the left, since the icons normally start left too and would cover it.

And then I read your comment, and see that you already had similar thoughts too. :D

Edit: While the 'nature' ones are gorgeous, I also think we should add some abstract ones; they are cool in their own regard, and it gives more options for those that want to try something else than pictures of nature. Has this one: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352#p109369 been added to JIRA? And this one?: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352#p109372 (I especially like test 40 for it's 'cloudy' impression, and test 500 because it gives a 'spacy' feel.)

Could the creators of those images clearly state if their pictures are under public domain, or CC0, or CC BY at most. And if one doesn't feel like putting them on JIRA, I'm willing to do it, then.
solid_black

Post by solid_black »

Webunny wrote:Has this one: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352#p109369 been added to JIRA?
<...>
Could the creators of those images clearly state if their pictures are under public domain, or CC0, or CC BY at most. And if one doesn't feel like putting them on JIRA, I'm willing to do it, then.
No I didn't upload it there. I just wanted to gather some feedback. It was a test render with quite a poor quality and a lot of "noise". If you're going to put it in Jira, first tell me if everything seems OK (like colors look right, is it lit enough and so on), then tell me which exact resolution do you need, and I'll re-render it.

Regarding the licensing part, I suppose it is not free unless I say it's free, so at the moment it is copyrighted. But I can release it under whatever license you (and others) advise me (should it be GNU GPL? or CC-BY? or CC-BY-SA? or CC0? or this one?).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

solid_black wrote:
Webunny wrote:Has this one: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352#p109369 been added to JIRA?
<...>
No I didn't upload it there. I just wanted to gather some feedback. It was a test render with quite a poor quality and a lot of "noise". If you're going to put it in Jira, first tell me if everything seems OK (like colors look right, is it lit enough and so on), then tell me which exact resolution do you need, and I'll re-render it.

Regarding the licensing part, I suppose it is not free unless I say it's free, so at the moment it is copyrighted. But I can release it under whatever license you (and others) advise me (should it be GNU GPL? or CC-BY? or CC-BY-SA? or CC0? or this one?).
Well, I'm not entirely sure what goes, for a wallpaper for ROS. Public domain, obviously. And CC0 is as close as you can get to public domain, so that would work too. And I suppose GPL too. Don't know about the rest. If it's the same for you, you could pick one of these 3. Or triple licence it under all 3. 8-)

As for the wallpaper itself: it was ok, for an abstract wallpaper. I'm not sure I would pick it - I'm actually not THAT fond of abstract things, unless it's mandelbrot or other fractal geometry, but the point was rather that we should have some diversification so that everyone finds something he likes. And not everyone is only interested in 'nature' ones all the time. Maybe you could make some variants, a bit more HQ and in different colour-tones (aside the current green-ish, also blue/grey or such?).
solid_black

Post by solid_black »

Webunny wrote: Well, I'm not entirely sure what goes, for a wallpaper for ROS. Public domain, obviously. And CC0 is as close as you can get to public domain, so that would work too. And I suppose GPL too. Don't know about the rest. If it's the same for you, you could pick one of these 3. Or triple licence it under all 3. 8-)
OK, let's go with dual-licensing: GNU GPL 2+ and CC-BY. That's for all images in this post.
Webunny wrote:a bit more HQ
solid_black wrote:tell me which exact resolution do you need
Is 1920x1080 enough? Should I use JPG or PNG?
Webunny wrote:and in different colour-tones (aside the current green-ish, also blue/grey or such?)
Well, I initially started with a blue one but decided that green looks better.
Here is some color variations (again, just test renders at the moment. Please tell me which of them I should render in high-quality).

Green (same as before):
[ external image ]
Blue:
[ external image ]
Purple:
[ external image ]
Bright:
[ external image ]
Grey:
[ external image ]
Red & Blue:
[ external image ]
Nemerian

Post by Nemerian »

One from me.
Sorry if the light looks off, not exactly sure.[ external image ]
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Nemerian wrote:One from me.
Sorry if the light looks off, not exactly sure.[ external image ]
Seems a bit overexposed at the upper part, indeed.

@solid_black: the balls/bubbles themselves can't change color?
Nemerian

Post by Nemerian »

Webunny wrote: Seems a bit overexposed at the upper part, indeed.
Umm... can someone around here decrease the saturation up there?
solid_black

Post by solid_black »

Webunny wrote: @solid_black: the balls/bubbles themselves can't change color?
They can, but if you don't want me to spam this thread (and image hosting) with all possible color variations :lol: tell me what colors do you want. And I have now Green and Blue versions from the previous post rendered (1920x1080 and no "noise") so please tell me if I should send them to you.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

solid_black wrote:Well, I initially started with a blue one but decided that green looks better.
Here is some color variations (again, just test renders at the moment. Please tell me which of them I should render in high-quality).

Green (same as before):
[ external image ]
Sorry, in my opinion this style is not good at all. Icons would get lost on that kind of picture, colors are clashing and it's not pleasing to my eyes.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:
solid_black wrote:Well, I initially started with a blue one but decided that green looks better.

Green (same as before):
[ external image ]
Sorry, in my opinion this style is not good at all. Icons would get lost on that kind of picture, colors are clashing and it's not pleasing to my eyes.
One has to admit it's quite original, though. As said, not everyone likes the same thing. Of course, ROS can't incorporate every wallpaper around. Maybe this would be an excellent way of getting some community involvement? It's not THAT difficult for the community to come up with a potential wallpaper (we see the proof now), so contrary to coding, this is something that can be feasibly done by any of us. We could also vote for it, just like on some other topics. This would increase involvement of the community in a way that doesn't really derail anything or where the devs should feel they have to clamp down on (like with the slogan).

I think this is an excellent way for getting some community bonding, and someone of PR (vicamaral) could take it up and make it a bit more 'official'. What do you say, vicamaral? For instance, why not, at least for the RCE, put, say, 5 extra wallpapers in there? People here could show their suggestions/creations (provided it is GPL or CC0 licence or public domain), and one lets the community decide by vote, and the top 5 wins. It's an easy way to organise something with the community, without any impact coding wise, so the devs should be ok with it.