ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

timmay2019

Re: ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Post by timmay2019 »

Sand wrote:
timmay2019 wrote:
Sand wrote: Why not? We don't have to have the exact same look as windows. We can practically do whatever we want with ROS :) .
I am fed up with MacOS style lovers on Linux. MacOS has terrible design. It has 5% market share when Windows has 90%. This shows what most people want. And many bad changes on Linux and Windows are inspired by MacOS influence (including the idea to remove customizablity from Gnome and Win8).
No, the reason Macs have a 5% market share is mostly cost not design, also many users are familiar with Windows. For example, when users go to a store and look at 2 computers, 1 with windows priced at $699 and 1 MAC priced at $1599 they are most likely going to choose the windows one despite both usually ending up the same in cost over time.

And I can customize Win8 (don't know about Gnome as I rarely have used linux).

P.S. I am no MAC or Linux lover ;)
Sand

Post by Sand »

timmay2019 wrote:
No, the reason Macs have a 5% market share is mostly cost not design, also many users are familiar with Windows.
If they had good design, they could sell it at the same price as Windows and have greater market share and profits. Yet they occupy a niche market and make the most profits from smartphones.
Last edited by Sand on Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sand

Post by Sand »

vicmarcal wrote: When searching for a Tango substitute, we found several XP themes for Linux iconsets, even we checked the Explorer++ ones, and we discovered that they were using icons extracted from Windows and hence illegal to use them.

However, the one I linked seems to have its own iconset and recently released, and they can be used if they are under GPL.
:)

I would have an eye on those...
Thanks. While I totally support the idea of using Windows-like icons (I would prefer Vista/7/8 style though), my opinion is that ReactOS should not disregard the possibility of using another icon theme preferably reflecting its current branding (the blueish-silver design). That's why I was searching for an icon theme having the same palette.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Sand wrote:
vicmarcal wrote: When searching for a Tango substitute, we found several XP themes for Linux iconsets, even we checked the Explorer++ ones, and we discovered that they were using icons extracted from Windows and hence illegal to use them.

However, the one I linked seems to have its own iconset and recently released, and they can be used if they are under GPL.
:)

I would have an eye on those...
Thanks. While I totally support the idea of using Windows-like icons (I would prefer Vista/7/8 style though), my opinion is that ReactOS should not disregard the possibility of using another icon theme preferably reflecting its current branding (the blueish-silver design). That's why I was searching for an icon theme having the same palette.
Sure, find one, check its completeness, and drop us a line :)
Sand

Post by Sand »

vicmarcal wrote: Sure, find one, check its completeness, and drop us a line :)
How to check the completenes? For example, is Slick or the Gnome theme complete?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

vicmarcal wrote:
Sand wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Why Faenza was choosen as the potential alternative?

I am all eyes, if you find a complete iconset(please compare "completeness" against Faenza) which doesn't look squarish and really looks as XP, but doesn't confuse the user neither.
How many icons does Faenza have? How do you measure completeness? Is Gnome icon theme incomplete?
You can download Faenza and check by yourself, comparing with the one you found. That way you will understand what completeness is, just by comparison.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

that NuoveXT 2 icons look so good.
gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Despite there being thousands of icons, some of them are blank, some are duplicates, and some share the same basic element like the glossy blue computer screen. That needs to be taken into account for checking completeness, if the icon set can be expanded further.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/windows ... e-for.html clearly is a winner.

But, seen the myriads of opinions floating around... is there actually a way to vote for it, for the RCE? Can it be pushed by the 'push votes' on IGG?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

So, are the icons actually legal? Are they created with the original icons only as a reference? Because to me, they look so similar they may be copied. What's their licence?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:So, are the icons actually legal? Are they created with the original icons only as a reference? Because to me, they look so similar they may be copied. What's their licence?
At least the ones in the screenshots looks so similar but they are different.
As you can see Xp folders and that theme has different "folders" orientation.
Desktop icon looks similar but it is different.
Arrows in Xp are green, they are using blue,etc.
The paper bin looks similar but it is different.
So what i see is that they follows same "guidelines" but have different icons really.
So it could be a nice candidate too.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Vic, see the official Win7 icons, e.g. here (if it doesn't work, search Google Images for "Windows 7 personal folder"). This isn't really about the official XP icons, but those from 7 :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Lol: They call it Windows Xp theme and used Windows 7 icons?
I am in the mobile now but i love the "spot the differences" game.
1) The "Videos" icon is different: The "film roll" is darker in the Theme than in the original one, also the left border of the fill roll is hidden in the Windows version while not in the Linux one.
2) The "Download" icon is different: the arrow point downwards is less fatty than the Windows original one. Also the shadows casted by the arrow is different than the Windows one.
3) The "Pictures" icon has two pictures instead one inside the icon folder.
4) The Desktop looks similar, however in the Linux theme seems a little bit uglier due that top and bottom arent as paralel as top and bottom in the original one, making its right side wider.
5)The "My Documents" icon has a different kind of sheet inside.
6) "My music" icon: The blue iconic seems bigger and while in Windows has a space between the icon and the folder, it doesnt happen in the theme.
So basically they seem to have reworked the icons.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:Lol: They call it Windows Xp theme and used Windows 7 icons?
Woohoo! the we're ready for the future as well! :P
1) The "Videos" icon is different: The "film roll" is darker in the Theme than in the original one, also the left border of the fill roll is hidden in the Windows version while not in the Linux one.
2) The "Download" icon is different: the arrow point downwards is less fatty than the Windows original one. Also the shadows casted by the arrow is different than the Windows one.
3) The "Pictures" icon has two pictures instead one inside the icon folder.
4) The Desktop looks similar, however in the Linux theme seems a little bit uglier due that top and bottom arent as paralel as top and bottom in the original one, making its right side wider.
5)The "My Documents" icon has a different kind of sheet inside.
6) "My music" icon: The blue iconic seems bigger and while in Windows has a space between the icon and the folder, it doesnt happen in the theme.
There also this one, as a Win-looking set: http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/164202-1.png
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:Lol: They call it Windows Xp theme and used Windows 7 icons?
(...)
Thanks for taking a look. Yes, on close examination I think even the folder itself is very slightly different. I hope the iconset's different enough as a whole!