Blog: Tweaks and improvements

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Blog: Tweaks and improvements

Post by Z98 »

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Blog: Tweaks and improvements

Post by hbelusca »

The Challenge:
Windows' explorer vs. explorer_new: Which is which, in the pictures? :D :D
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

The one who mentioned themes was me. I found out that, if you change the directory on ReactOS, the window loses its theming until you click inside it again.
Gigaherz said that it's not a fault in browseui, but in uxtheme, and it wasn't there before the recent changes.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Pretty impressive! Great work
ReactFan

Post by ReactFan »

Great job if this goes on it may live to see the final work at the end of the year :-)
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

You can look at it now on the shell experiments branch.

I think we'll be using explorer_new as the main shell pretty soon actually, the `sneak peak' has the address bar filled in, which is more than we can say about explorer_old. With the shell classes pretty functional and the start menu working, I'm optimistic that soon our shell will actually be good.

And things like this are the main reason the IGG campaign in so important, with Smiley's and Gigaherz's contributions, we're seeing massive progress on the shell, and without funds that wouldn't be happening any where nearly as quickly.

Once explorer_new is the main shell I'll think we'll see a lot more traction with getting devs working on it too (it's a good learning place for reactos coding), as currently, it's a lot like, yeah... don't go near that...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Frontier wrote:You can look at it now on the shell experiments branch.

I think we'll be using explorer_new as the main shell pretty soon actually, the `sneak peak' has the address bar filled in, which is more than we can say about explorer_old. With the shell classes pretty functional and the start menu working, I'm optimistic that soon our shell will actually be good.

And things like this are the main reason the IGG campaign in so important, with Smiley's and Gigaherz's contributions, we're seeing massive progress on the shell, and without funds that wouldn't be happening any where nearly as quickly.

Once explorer_new is the main shell I'll think we'll see a lot more traction with getting devs working on it too (it's a good learning place for reactos coding), as currently, it's a lot like, yeah... don't go near that...
What's missing: the task bar items. Gigaherz could need some help with ATL/OLE

If this is there, the new shell can be activated as default, it is already as good (even if slightly buggy) as the old one.
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

True. Gigaherz, can you start a jira issue on that one with what you know about it so we can look into it?
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

There has been a JIRA issue related to that for a while already: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7953

I just didn't link it to the EPIC... I'll do that.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

hbelusca wrote:The Challenge:
Windows' explorer vs. explorer_new: Which is which, in the pictures? :D :D
The top is W2K3, the bottom is ROS, and I still notice 3 differences.

1. The address bar.
2. My Computer missing on lower right.
3. Different folder icon color.

However, things certainly look much closer. The heading icon and the rebar issue are no longer issues.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

The "My Computer" thing is related to the Internet Security Zones thing of Internet Explorer, so it will most probably be missing for a long time. The addressbar is my next target (as soon as I recover from a ninja cold/flu I caught). Not sure what you mean different folder color, they look the same to me...
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

Frontier wrote:You can look at it now on the shell experiments branch.

I think we'll be using explorer_new as the main shell pretty soon actually,
Why is it only in the "shell experiments branch" ? I thoughted, that it have to do with ReactOS Community Edition, so that the new explorer will be published there first.

I see no other reason for this branch. (Ok, there can be the reason, that possibly the new explorer currently don't run on ReactOS, because some dlls or functions of system-dlls are still not implemented)

The current explorer is incomplete?
It is in an earlier state already there:
Download a nightly build (http://www.reactos.com/de/getbuilds) or ReactOS 0.3.16.
Start it. Start a cmd.exe-window. Run taskmgr.exe and kill the explorer.exe-process. start on the commandline (the cmd.exe-window) C:\ReactOS\explorer_new.exe.
Thats it.
But as I sayd: It is very incomplete. All the nice changes are not in there.

Greatings
theuserbl
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

1) The purpose of a branch is to do disruptive development that may need some time before it can be safely integrated into the mainline codebase. Since that is why branches exist, that is the only "reason" there needs to be.

2) Development on explorer_new and its supporting infrastructure started years ago. Development on community edition related things have not started since the funding period is still not over. The only mention made of explorer_new in the community edition was that the community edition would use it. It was never said that explorer_new would debut with community edition.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

gigaherz wrote:The "My Computer" thing is related to the Internet Security Zones thing of Internet Explorer, so it will most probably be missing for a long time. The addressbar is my next target (as soon as I recover from a ninja cold/flu I caught). Not sure what you mean different folder color, they look the same to me...
I thought the folder icons were lighter in color in ROS and richer in Windows. I just loaded the ColorPix utility and while it is inconclusive, they are more similar than I thought. I chalk the apparent differences up to viewing on an LED display. So graphics below your field of vision might actually appear lighter in color. Reversing the order of the images would probably have the reverse effect, with W2K3 appearing lighter. So there might not be differences at all. It is just hard to get a lock in on a gradient.

You can tell I do more graphics editing than a lot of people and that I used to do crafts. :-)
rachid

Post by rachid »

PurpleGurl wrote: I thought the folder icons were lighter in color in ROS and richer in Windows. I just loaded the ColorPix utility and while it is inconclusive, they are more similar than I thought. I chalk the apparent differences up to viewing on an LED display. So graphics below your field of vision might actually appear lighter in color. Reversing the order of the images would probably have the reverse effect, with W2K3 appearing lighter. So there might not be differences at all. It is just hard to get a lock in on a gradient.

You can tell I do more graphics editing than a lot of people and that I used to do crafts. :-)
Both explorers are using the same icons!! Windows ones.