P6T Deluxe Driver install

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by vicmarcal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm

imk wrote:Yes I am happy to help where I can, as for C/C++ coding that will have to be later in year before I apply as too busy on other projects at this time.
Thanks for the heads up re testing latest builds and have downloaded bootcd-62898-dbgwin.7z, but how do I unpack it to an installable iso please?
Ian
Regarding to contributions as some of the answers given could be misleading or misinterpreted:
"Mind you that they have some stringent - I have to be careful when using that word :-p - conditions if you really want to help with the code itself."
Our only restriction to help contributing with patches is : "you never looked at MS code".
We are not " stringent" about newcomers and our code, it's foss, it's out there, everyone can hack it, people who are not even remotely devs.

Me for example. I'm not an IT guy, never studied in an IT university and however I am fixing and hacking several of our APIs. Fixing from buffer overflows to APIs behaviors or even contributing with Apitests.
Regarding Jira
JIRA is our main hearth.
It is not the tool for bugreports, but also the place to send contributions, when you have time or you want to help in the future.
From Translations, to Apitests to Code fixes are reviewed, re-reviewed, and commited from JIRA.
Regarding the first steps
A lot of people has pointed really nice links.
But the best one imho is the http://www.reactos.org/testman.
Here any commit is fully tested with api tests(both winetests and rostests), which are just APIs recieving Params and checking if the returned values are correct or not.
Ie: https://reactos.org/sites/all/modules/r ... 7573,27575

You can see that any FAILED tests are clickable, and will show you which specific call to the API is failing.
LockDatabase.c:40 "Test failed: Wrong last error. Expected ERROR_INVALID_SERVICE_LOCK, got 0x6"

As said, and this is the thing I want to remark MOST: Anyone, not just IT developers, can help ReactOS.

Some answers sound as if one have to be Dave Cutler or Alex Ionescu or Bill Gates to help ReactOS or we'd reject his help.
That's not the case. And I am a perfect example of a guy contribuiting weekly with patches and not being one of those.
Image

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

justincase wrote:Wow webunny, you really take things in subjective context.
The point of (that portion of) my post wasn't to side with anyone, or to get this thread off-topic, but to make a small aside to you that your choice of words was the main issue in the other thread. ("won't let you get close to the code" is really quite a strong statement, this is what might scare people off)
By all means post a link to the Jobs page (it wouldn't be up on the website if it wasn't to be seen), just don't make it sound like "if you don't fit these qualifications we don't want you touching our code, you can't help us, goodbye" (which was how it came across to several people in the other thread).
Posts linking to the Jobs page should be less off-putting, perhaps something along the lines of:


Ian (imk), I'm glad to hear you're interested in helping the ReactOS project, and also that you have some experience with C/C++ programming, please do all testing with trunk builds (found at http://www.ReactOS.org/getbuilds) as "Release" versions are out of sync with current development, and feel free to to report any bugs you find on our bugtracker (please search first though, duplicates can confuse things), and if you feel you can help with the code itself please visit the Wiki and/or Development sections of the website for help Getting the Build Environment (w) and Source (w/d), Compiling (w/d), and Submitting Patches (w), if you have any questions please use the forums (which you've obviously already found :D ), and once you're familiar & comfortable with all of this, do you perhaps qualify for a paid contract? (see "Jobs" page for info)

Also please don't let the occasional forum squabbles scare you away, I'm convinced that just about everyone who posts here means well for the project, even if we occasionally don't sound like it.

And to finally return to the threads original topic:
imk wrote:So download the Ethernet Yukon driver for NT and put it on floppy but system does not look at floppy when I try manual install.
Floppy support is a bit buggy too, I recommend you check the bugtracker to see if your issue has been reported yet.
Also for file transfer, see if a USB Flash Drive works for you (it's a work in progress, but apparently it works just fine for on some people's hardware).
[... one more edit ;) : ReactOS is currently targeting the Windows server 2003 version of NT (5.2), so you'll need a newer driver than would work for WinNT 3.x/4.x]
Small letters are only useful in contracts where you hope the small print isn't read. ;-)

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm

vicmarcal wrote:JIRA is not the tool for bugreports, but also the place to send contributions
virmarcal here means that JIRA is not only for bugreports, but also for contributions :)

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by justincase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 pm

vicmarcal wrote:JIRA is our main hearth.
It is not the tool for bugreports, but also the place to send contributions, when you have time or you want to help in the future.
From Translations, to Apitests to Code fixes are reviewed, re-reviewed, and commited from JIRA.
I figured Translations and code fixes were covered under "Submitting Patches", I suppose mentioning API tests separately would have been a good idea, but reviewing is the only one of those that I think I totally missed. Either way, thanks for pointing these out.
Black_Fox wrote:virmarcal here means that JIRA is not only for bugreports, but also for contributions :)
Yes, I tried to get that across without straight up stating "do everything in JIRA" in my post, was I unsuccessful? sorry.
Webunny wrote:Small letters are only useful in contracts where you hope the small print isn't read. ;-)
In this case I'm using small(er) letters to indicate that they are off topic, thus if you skip them, you won't be missing what's actually pertinent to this particular forum thread.
Black_Fox wrote:WinRAR also supports extracting of 7z archives, if you're on Windows.
I personally dislike WinRAR, and I would never direct someone to a paid/shareware app (WinRAR) to extract a file made with/for a free open-source program.
(the .7z file-format was created for 7-zip, hence the extension being .7z, for 7-zip)
imk wrote:Yes I am happy to help where I can, as for C/C++ coding that will have to be later in year before I apply as too busy on other projects at this time.
As others have reiterated, C/C++ coding help is best started with testing, then patches posted to JIRA. Applying for a job is a separate thing entirely (getting paid to take time off and work on ReactOS like it's your job), and is only for those who qualify.
The need to submit patches via JIRA first is stated quite nicely on the Jobs page itself:
Formalities aside, you do need to prove yourself above and beyond the minimum requirements if you want to be considered for a position. Basically the project will require a demonstration that you know what you're doing. Having accepted patches is pretty much mandatory, since it shows that you've at least figured out how to compile and test an operating system.
And again please note that the information on the jobs page is ONLY for getting PAID to help ReactOS. Please help in any way you can even if you fall short of the jobs pages requirements.

Also I know I'm not perfect, so thanks go out to anyone and everyone who clarifies something I've said.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm

vicmarcal wrote:
imk wrote:Yes I am happy to help where I can, as for C/C++ coding that will have to be later in year before I apply as too busy on other projects at this time.
Thanks for the heads up re testing latest builds and have downloaded bootcd-62898-dbgwin.7z, but how do I unpack it to an installable iso please?
Ian
Regarding to contributions as some of the answers given could be misleading or misinterpreted:
"Mind you that they have some stringent - I have to be careful when using that word :-p - conditions if you really want to help with the code itself."
Our only restriction to help contributing with patches is : "you never looked at MS code".
We are not " stringent" about newcomers and our code, it's foss, it's out there, everyone can hack it, people who are not even remotely devs.
Look, vic, if you pm me for saying that I shouldn't put oil to the fire, you shouldn't continue yourself. I've redone my response in my former post, just because I felt you had a point that it shouldn't amount to a next round of discussion about this. And then you make a post of your own.

I did not say we're "stringent about newcomers'. The fact that you place that directly under my quote, as a sort of rebuttal, at least implies I did. It's a straw man fallacy. What I said (it's directly viewable above in the quote) is that there are stringent *conditions* for if he would want to involve himself in direct coding. The conditions for that is mentioned in the jobpage, to which I didn't link this time, just because of all the fuss it created last time - even though it makes it clearer about what coding job it pertains, and what exactly the conditions are.

In any case: how does "there are stringent conditions if you want to help in directly coding" equals "we're stringent about newcomers"? It doesn't. Period. I EXPLICITLY said this time it wasn't about (filing patches with) JIRA, so one can't reproach me that again.
People should stop acting as if I step on a wasps' nest, when I mention that there are conditions set to particular ways of help (aka, the direct coding which is explained further on that jobpage). The conditions are there, and it makes sense to point people to it which could qualify to that, without suggarcoating it. I clearly said it's not about JIRA or other help. I'm getting tired of always having to mention this everytime a potential capable person who could qualify for direct coding comes by, and each time I refer to that page, it's like I've said something improper.

If one can't mention this to software engineers and people who can code in C and C++, then to whom? The jobpage is there, and so are the conditions. It's exactly these kind of people we should address and point them towards this possibility in ROS-helping.

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

justincase wrote:I personally dislike WinRAR, and I would never direct someone to a paid/shareware app (WinRAR) to extract a file made with/for a free open-source program.
(the .7z file-format was created for 7-zip, hence the extension being .7z, for 7-zip)
WinRAR's got a great user interface and I actually paid for it in some sale, but I understand your objections; I use 7-zip too. For a free & open archiver with a good UI I can suggest PeaZip.

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: The Best Archiver(s) of All Time !!!!! ;)

Post by justincase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I always had problems when I tried using WinRAR, I think its UI looks very cluttered, I dislike that it (by default) replaces almost all archive files' icons with it's own (icons should represent the file, not a program that thinks it should be the one to open it), and people often tell people it's free and don't consider the fact that if you don't pay for it it nags you (grr annoying). On top of that I really like open-source software (which is why I'm here in the first place :shock: ).

PeaZip is mostly just a UI wrapper around 7-zip's libraries (it is more, but not much more) & I personally prefer 7-zips UI over that of WinRAR or PeaZip.

(as a side note, I never associate 7-zip with any file-types :geek: I just use it's context menu entries)

:idea: Also 7-zip works perfectly under ReactOS & Wine, and has a (legal) Portable version (which also works just fine under Reactos/Wine, minus shell integration obviously) available too.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Z98 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Webunny wrote:
In any case: how does "there are stringent conditions if you want to help in directly coding" equals "we're stringent about newcomers"? It doesn't. Period. I EXPLICITLY said this time it wasn't about (filing patches with) JIRA, so one can't reproach me that again.
People should stop acting as if I step on a wasps' nest, when I mention that there are conditions set to particular ways of help (aka, the direct coding which is explained further on that jobpage). The conditions are there, and it makes sense to point people to it which could qualify to that, without suggarcoating it. I clearly said it's not about JIRA or other help. I'm getting tired of always having to mention this everytime a potential capable person who could qualify for direct coding comes by, and each time I refer to that page, it's like I've said something improper.
You do realize that "directly coding" does not equate "getting a job with the Foundation" in the minds of me, Victor, Amine, and a lot of other people? That from our perspective, directly coding equates code contribution of any kind, whether it be via patches or getting commit access as a volunteer developer? And that we also find it inappropriate for you to try to direct people who are new to the project, regardless of their formal qualifications from the past, to the jobs page when all they're asking about is how to provide initial contributions because it creates a false impression that the only way to contribute is to apply for a job and therefore they need to meet those standards right away? And the way you keep bringing it up carries the undertone of "we're really picky about the patches we accept so you need to get it right to have it accepted" which then discourages someone from even trying? Because if you really can't see that, then consider this us notifying you that that's the impression we keep getting from you. We're not asking you to stop on a whim, we're asking you to stop because you are potentially doing harm to the project with the way you fixate on what you think are "stringent conditions." And adding qualifiers to your statements does not constitute stopping the statements that we consider problematic.

imk
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by imk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Guys,
I seem to have stirred up a load of trouble here so please let me have my say.
I have retired from full time IT and I am not really looking for a job, fully time or part time.
However if something comes up in the future that would interest me then I would be happy to help.
Currently I have a fully time job restoring my house. But it is nice to take a break and do some IT and as I feel your project is very worthwhile I am happy to do some HW testing for you.

Maybe in six months I'll look at getting into some bug fixes or patches for ReactOS, maybe even write a device driver for my own hardware etc.

But at this moment all I need is a way into helping you with some testing.
I have Windows 7 and use virtual XP, so if you think it would be better that I test Virtual ReactOS than HW and then do a HW test by request that is fine by me.
Ian

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Z98 wrote:
Webunny wrote:
In any case: how does "there are stringent conditions if you want to help in directly coding" equals "we're stringent about newcomers"? It doesn't. Period. I EXPLICITLY said this time it wasn't about (filing patches with) JIRA, so one can't reproach me that again.
People should stop acting as if I step on a wasps' nest, when I mention that there are conditions set to particular ways of help (aka, the direct coding which is explained further on that jobpage). The conditions are there, and it makes sense to point people to it which could qualify to that, without suggarcoating it. I clearly said it's not about JIRA or other help. I'm getting tired of always having to mention this everytime a potential capable person who could qualify for direct coding comes by, and each time I refer to that page, it's like I've said something improper.
You do realize that "directly coding" does not equate "getting a job with the Foundation" in the minds of me, Victor, Amine, and a lot of other people? That from our perspective, directly coding equates code contribution of any kind, whether it be via patches or getting commit access as a volunteer developer? And that we also find it inappropriate for you to try to direct people who are new to the project, regardless of their formal qualifications from the past, to the jobs page when all they're asking about is how to provide initial contributions because it creates a false impression that the only way to contribute is to apply for a job and therefore they need to meet those standards right away? And the way you keep bringing it up carries the undertone of "we're really picky about the patches we accept so you need to get it right to have it accepted" which then discourages someone from even trying? Because if you really can't see that, then consider this us notifying you that that's the impression we keep getting from you. We're not asking you to stop on a whim, we're asking you to stop because you are potentially doing harm to the project with the way you fixate on what you think are "stringent conditions." And adding qualifiers to your statements does not constitute stopping the statements that we consider problematic.

How is filing potential patches with JIRA DIRECT coding? There is nothing direct to it, because it's first FILED (aka, one does not change the code directly), then it's analysed by the devs, then recommendations are done, and then if good enough, the devs apply it.

It's so evident that this can't be placed under 'direct coding', that it's bordering on the ludicrous to try to argument filing patches to JIRA would fall under that. And this is further demonstrated on the jobpage, where the coding one talks about there, has nothing to do with JIRA on itself. So, you know, maybe you, Amine, etc. do not equate it with what is described on the jobpage (though I would like to see something closer than that to 'direct coding', then), but it sure as hell should be clear that it's not filing things with JIRA. There is no way one can reasonably interpret it that way, unless one *wants* to interpret it that way.

And if what you say in your last sentences is true, than pointing to the jobpage and saying that if they would want to have a go at direct coding, they can, as long as they fulfil certain conditions, to people who can qualify for it, is deemed to be 'harmful to the project', and 'problematic'. This is quite mindboggling. Why would that be harmful, when it's PART of ROS, and why wouldn't it be harmful then, when I said you can choose VM testing or HW testing? There are certain conditions you need too, there, namely for HW testing a rig which runs ROS, and preferably a serial cable for debugging purposes. However, I don't see you claim that me saying that is 'harmful' or 'problematic', or are afraid it will 'scare away' people. Or that they might think I said they can't help in any other way, like make a donation. Why is that? Because it would make little sense; it's just stating the facts, and saying one can do a certain thing under certain conditions, does not imply that one can't do anything else. As I am with 'direct coding'. And if you don't understand the same under it (though I think I made it perfectly clear what should be understood about it), feel free to tell me what specific term you use for what I'm using with 'direct coding'. I'll use that term, then.

@imk: don't worry about it. It's just something that comes up now and then. The point is, I feel strongly that people who might qualify for it (who can code) should be made aware that there is the possibility, if they ever want to do it, for direct coding. It's, of course, no obligation, it's just making someone aware of it. An example of that is viewable on the jobpage, however, it doesn't mean you HAVE to go for a job to do that. There are, however, some stringent conditions for it, but it would be certainly welcomed if you wanted to give it a try. Some people here always act up when I say that. For some reason, they think people like you won't understand that it's NOT an obligation, or that you might misconstrue it as meaning you can't give ANY other help, except if you fulfil those stringent conditions. That you couldn't even file a patch in JIRA, or help testing, or such. Frankly, I think they're basically treating you guys as idiots or wussies, if they really think that you would not understand the difference, or would be 'scared away' by me saying that. Treating people like that, certainly with IT credentials and of normal intelligence, is unreasonable, imho. But hey, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Answer me this honestly: did I gave the impression to you, you couldn't help in any other way, unless you applied for a job under strict conditions? Was I scaring you away and being unhelpful? Did you read in what I said to you "we're really picky about the patches we accept so you need to get it right to have it accepted", as is claimed?


Maybe in six months I'll look at getting into some bug fixes or patches for ReactOS, maybe even write a device driver for my own hardware etc.
That would actually be wonderful. ;) and maybe applicable to other hardware too.

But indeed, HW testing is fine, and you certainly do not need to feel rushed. Just know if you want and feel the vibes again and go for the C/C++ coding, you can help in that way too. I'm happy to note you want to be a HW tester; we really need as much as possible, since there are not that many.

imk
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by imk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Test system based on an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, 3gb RAM, Xeon X5570 CPU, ati xt 1800 video card, 40 GB SATA HD, CD/DVD SATA drive.
The system is VERY stable as it is my standby development system and have just been install with Win7 on another HD and soaked tested for a week.
Not sure were or how to post my test results but here they are:

Both 0.3.16 and 62898 a very picky about which KB and mouse they will install and or run with.
Cheery USB Keyboard will not work.
Logitech mouse port mouse will not work.
Genius mouse port mouse will not work.
Microsoft P/N X800898 mouse USB will not work.

------ Will not work ---- Means the system will lockup, or crash during 1st or 2nd phase of the installation.

What does work is a DELL RT7D5JTW Keyboard (Mouse/Keyboard port type) and a Microsoft P/N X802382 USB mouse.

Don't ask my why one Microsoft mouse works and the other does not as BOTH work in the system when running Win7.

First I installed 0.3.16 and have run in for about two days. I tried to install driver from the ASUS drive disk but none would install.
I tried to install Ethernet driver by copying in files manually but the drive would not load/run. (I think it was the driver for NT4)

I install tonight 62898 but only ran for about 15 minutes before it crashed, It was working OK for a while then went into a endless reboot cycle.

I have reinstalled 0.3.16 and tried to install the 2003 NT server Yukon Ethernet drive. This is a Run to install exe file, the install ran part way through the install process then BSODed.

Hope that help and do let me know when you have another version for me to test please and any other test you would like me to try.
Ian









I have tested ReactOS

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 pm

imk wrote:Test system based on an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, 3gb RAM, Xeon X5570 CPU, ati xt 1800 video card, 40 GB SATA HD, CD/DVD SATA drive.
The system is VERY stable as it is my standby development system and have just been install with Win7 on another HD and soaked tested for a week.
Not sure were or how to post my test results but here they are:

Both 0.3.16 and 62898 a very picky about which KB and mouse they will install and or run with.
Cheery USB Keyboard will not work.
Logitech mouse port mouse will not work.
Genius mouse port mouse will not work.
Microsoft P/N X800898 mouse USB will not work.

------ Will not work ---- Means the system will lockup, or crash during 1st or 2nd phase of the installation.

What does work is a DELL RT7D5JTW Keyboard (Mouse/Keyboard port type) and a Microsoft P/N X802382 USB mouse.

Don't ask my why one Microsoft mouse works and the other does not as BOTH work in the system when running Win7.

First I installed 0.3.16 and have run in for about two days. I tried to install driver from the ASUS drive disk but none would install.
I tried to install Ethernet driver by copying in files manually but the drive would not load/run. (I think it was the driver for NT4)

I install tonight 62898 but only ran for about 15 minutes before it crashed, It was working OK for a while then went into a endless reboot cycle.

I have reinstalled 0.3.16 and tried to install the 2003 NT server Yukon Ethernet drive. This is a Run to install exe file, the install ran part way through the install process then BSODed.

Hope that help and do let me know when you have another version for me to test please and any other test you would like me to try.
Ian









I have tested ReactOS
Woohoo! ;)

I may have mentioned it before, but feel free to fill in your info at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs too. (The forums are rather fleeting, and it's uncertain one would find the info back after a while, and it isn't centralised neither).

As a general rule/aid in getting (more) builds working on real HW: always format in FAT32, and leave the initial keyboard/timezone/etc. on the default US one. Changing that at the start can cause problems.

I'm pretty amazed you got *some* usb to work. I didn't, of as yet (but I didn't try out the most recent builds, though).


Thanks for your effort, imk.

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

This stuff is TOTALLY off-topic in this thread:

Post by justincase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Webunny, these conversations don't belong in every thread on the forum.
I'd like to request (since you keep bringing it up) that you make a new thread for this and when you want to say something about it, do it in that one.

As far as why you shouldn't be doing what you're doing: it's because the way you're doing it is easily misconstrued to mean that the "jobs page" qualifications apply to more than what they do.
The qualifications mentioned on the Jobs page are ONLY for PAID CONTRACTS, anyone who wants to can test, file reports, make suggestions, improve the wiki, submit patches, and if they really want to and can prove themselves to the ReactOS devs become an SVN committer. You can become a committer WITHOUT meeting the "jobs page" qualifications.

If you don't meet the qualifications outlined on the jobs page, the only thing you can't do here is get paid to work on ReactOS.

Please don't reply to me on this matter in this thread. If you wish to continue this (or any other similar) conversation regarding what is or isn't allowed or recommended, PLEASE make a thread for it instead of hijacking semi-random threads all over the forum.
imk wrote:I seem to have stirred up a load of trouble here so please let me have my say.
No you haven't, it's something that's been ongoing for a while now, there are several threads which have recently ended up doing the same thing.
Sorry it found it's way into this thread.
imk wrote:Not sure were or how to post my test results ...
As Webunny says, http://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs would be a good place, but it's also a good idea to start a bug report (if there isn't one already) for whatever is preventing it from working.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: This stuff is TOTALLY off-topic in this thread:

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 pm

justincase wrote:Webunny, these conversations don't belong in every thread on the forum.
I'd like to request (since you keep bringing it up) that you make a new thread for this and when you want to say something about it, do it in that one.

As far as why you shouldn't be doing what you're doing: it's because the way you're doing it is easily misconstrued to mean that the "jobs page" qualifications apply to more than what they do.
The qualifications mentioned on the Jobs page are ONLY for PAID CONTRACTS, anyone who wants to can test, file reports, make suggestions, improve the wiki, submit patches, and if they really want to and can prove themselves to the ReactOS devs become an SVN committer. You can become a committer WITHOUT meeting the "jobs page" qualifications.

If you don't meet the qualifications outlined on the jobs page, the only thing you can't do here is get paid to work on ReactOS.

Please don't reply to me on this matter in this thread. If you wish to continue this (or any other similar) conversation regarding what is or isn't allowed or recommended, PLEASE make a thread for it instead of hijacking semi-random threads all over the forum.
It doesn't work that way. If you ask to not bring something up, you shouldn't bring it up yourself. Note that in my post here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13255&start=15#p108316 I had removed all my remarks on this topic (I had made a whole paragraph going into it in more details, in response of what others/you said), specifically because vic asked me to not turn it into a discussion again. However, he - and others - then brought it up him/themselves, again, in which case I feel obliged to respond in kind. You need two to tango, after all.

I agree that too much focussing on this side-issue is not conductive for helping with more practical things, like the HW testing imk is doing now, but that is valid for everyone who continuous this particular topic.I would have considered the matter closed at that point (at that post), if not for other people continuing it. Since I follow reciprocity, if other people feel they're free continuing it, then so do I. Therefore, if you want me to comment on it in a new thread, I suggest you start commenting in such a new thread too, and not in this thread. Otherwise, your proposal does not make sense, or, at least, is one-sided.
imk wrote:I seem to have stirred up a load of trouble here so please let me have my say.
No you haven't, it's something that's been ongoing for a while now, there are several threads which have recently ended up doing the same thing.
Sorry it found it's way into this thread.
imk wrote:Not sure were or how to post my test results ...
As Webunny says, http://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs would be a good place, but it's also a good idea to start a bug report (if there isn't one already) for whatever is preventing it from working.
And, as said, for some bugreports with bt, it's advisable to have a serial modem cable, if the other ways of getting buginfo aren't working (well).

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: P6T Deluxe Driver install

Post by Z98 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 am

When one makes changes to ReactOS, how can it be considered anything but "direct" coding since they are "directly" making modifications to their copy of the source code? After all, there's no such thing as "indirectly" coding since you are either coding or you are not. If you're coding, you're directly coding and if you're not, you're not coding at all and thus "direct" doesn't come into play. How the code ends up in the repository is irrelevant since any code written was coded "directly" against the ReactOS code base.

The information on the jobs page is of no relevance to people that are asking how to get patches into the project. Unless someone is asking specifically about applying for a development position with the Foundation, the information on that page is useless for them. The procedure that people go through in order to get patches accepted are not detailed on that page, nor does the information on the jobs page provide any hints or guidelines as to what the project wants in a patch. Since there is no relevant information about the procedure, bringing up information from that page doesn't provide the person asking questions any useful information and in fact can confuse them if they end up inferring that the requirements on the jobs page have any association with patch submission and acceptance. Furthermore, the metrics used to judge whether someone should get commit access or not is also not touched upon on the jobs page and are in fact different than the metrics used to determine whether someone should be offered a development contract. Therefore, there is no point in bringing up the jobs page or its content at all when discussing how to contribute code to the project. That you need to add so many qualifiers when bringing the information up is a pretty clear indication of the irrelevance of the information to the topic being discussed. What I, Victor, and Amine have asked of you is that you stop bringing up that information when it doesn't help answer a person's questions.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 0 guests