GetVersion Function?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

coryhenrique

GetVersion Function?

Post by coryhenrique »

Hello, I would like to know where is the GetVersion function located in which file (kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll or in another one)?
Which is used in various software to identify the version of NT.
E.g: NT Version 5.2 = Major Version: 5 e Minor Version: 2

Links about the GetVersion function on the Microsoft website:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

Thanks in advance! :D
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: GetVersion Function?

Post by Z98 »

You know you could answer this yourself by just doing a string search on the source code.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

coryhenrique

Post by coryhenrique »

I would like to help in the ReactOS project, I'm student in software engineering. But for that I need certain information.
Can anyone help me about subject of the post?

Thanks in Advance! :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

coryhenrique wrote:I would like to help in the ReactOS project, I'm student in software engineering. But for that I need certain information.
Can anyone help me about subject of the post?

Thanks in Advance! :)

Hmm.I was going to say to z98 and hbelusca: just tell the guy. I don't like those evasive answers myself. If one asks a question, one can always shove it off with 'search it yourself', after all, and that ain't really all that friendly or helpful for the enduser. In this particular case, it would have taken less time to answer it, than to write the sentence that he should search it himself.

That said, now that you said you are a student of software engineering - which they couldn't know in front, I presume - and you want to help with ROS coding, things change a bit. If that is the context in which you want to get it, I guess one could say it's sort of a minimum test. I mean, if you can't figure out how to search for the GetVersion with the link hbelusca has given you (there is a search box on there), I'm sorry to say that your skills (as a software engineering student) are subpar, and I doubt the ROS devs would let you anywhere near the code. In fact, they still might not. They're pretty...well, elitist is maybe a wrong word, but certainly 'stringent' about the capabilities of a coder, just take a look here: https://reactos.org/node/785 .

If you can't do a search and find out yourself, you won't be of much help, I'm afraid. So I suggest you give it a try.

But, if for some reason you still can't find it, or are unwilling to do, just say so, and I will give you the answer. Only I don't think it will reflect very well (for the devs) on your capabilities/willingness to help with ROS-code, then.
Last edited by Webunny on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

We have a documentation where you can search for functions: http://doxygen.reactos.org/search.php?q ... on&btnG=Go
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:We have a documentation where you can search for functions: http://doxygen.reactos.org/search.php?q ... on&btnG=Go
That said, I can't find the exact number there neither. Lol. I know the main number, but not the sub-subversion after the second dot. Well, I'm not a software engineer student, after all, so... :P
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Webunny wrote:That said, now that you said you are a student of software engineering - which they couldn't know in front, I presume - and you want to help with ROS, things change a bit. If that is the context in which you want to get it, I guess one could say it's sort of a minimum test. I mean, if you can't figure out how to search for the GetVersion with the link hbelusca has given you (there is a search box on there), I'm sorry to say that your skills (as a software engineering student) are subpar, and I doubt the ROS devs would let you anywhere near the code. In fact, they still might not. They're pretty...well, elitist is maybe a wrong word, but certainly 'stringent' about the capabilities of a coder, just take a look here: https://reactos.org/node/785 .
Let's keep things accurate please, without misinterpretations and false information:

* There is nothing "elitist" and "stringent" about making sure the community's funds are spent *very* wisely, and the *jobs* section reflects that. It has nothing to do with normal contributions, at all, and it says so clearly: "Contracted full time, part time, and internship level positions are all available".

* You just posted a *jobs* link to a *newcomer* and painted a false impression to him about our code acceptance. We accept patches, from anyone, regardless of whether they are even developers or not. We do our best to review and commit the patches that come in, through our JIRA or even the developers mailing list.

* For participation in general, we have https://reactos.org/participation and it sends the exact opposite message to what you tried to give this newcomer. Please try to think before unintentionally harming more than you help.

* Finally, I agree with Z98 and hbelusca. coryhenrique, as a student in software engineering, please consider searching for that string (hint: greping) through http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=summary

These are 3 hints combined: The fact that you can search for the string (Z98), the fact that you can do so through http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=summary (hbelusca) and finally, the fact that the term to look for, there, is grep (me) so have fun and report back to us ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

AmineKhaldi wrote:
Webunny wrote:That said, now that you said you are a student of software engineering - which they couldn't know in front, I presume - and you want to help with ROS, things change a bit. If that is the context in which you want to get it, I guess one could say it's sort of a minimum test. I mean, if you can't figure out how to search for the GetVersion with the link hbelusca has given you (there is a search box on there), I'm sorry to say that your skills (as a software engineering student) are subpar, and I doubt the ROS devs would let you anywhere near the code. In fact, they still might not. They're pretty...well, elitist is maybe a wrong word, but certainly 'stringent' about the capabilities of a coder, just take a look here: https://reactos.org/node/785 .
Let's keep things accurate please, without misinterpretations and false information:

* There is nothing "elitist" and "stringent" about making sure the community's funds are spent *very* wisely, and the *jobs* section reflects that. It has nothing to do with normal contributions, at all, and it says so clearly: "Contracted full time, part time, and internship level positions are all available".

* You just posted a *jobs* link to a *newcomer* and painted a false impression to him about our code acceptance. We accept patches, from anyone, regardless of whether they are even developers or not. We do our best to review and commit the patches that come in, through our JIRA or even the developers mailing list.

* For participation in general, we have https://reactos.org/participation and it sends the exact opposite message to what you tried to give this newcomer. Please try to think before unintentionally harming more than you help.

* Finally, I agree with Z98 and hbelusca. coryhenrique, as a student in software engineering, please consider searching for that string (hint: greping) through http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=summary

These are 3 hints combined: The fact that you can search for the string (Z98), the fact that you can do so through http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=summary (hbelusca) and finally, the fact that the term to look for, there, is grep (me) so have fun and report back to us ;)
strin·gent
ˈstrinjənt/
adjective
adjective: stringent

(of regulations, requirements, or conditions) strict, precise, and exacting.

That's exactly what it is. I don't know why you keep refuting things I say, while I use the exact dictionary meaning of the word, and not some personal interpretation. (Though, granted, what is to be considered stringent IS interpretation, but that doesn't make my interpretation less valid than yours).

Nobody was talking about not being able to give patches, btw, it was in the assumption that the fact that none simply gave the NT number was indicative of it being a test. True, it could also be because the devs themselves don't know about it, or because they do not have the time to tell him. Both of the latter options are unlikely, since, of devs one might presume they DO know this, and if it's because they don't have time, then making a longer post than is necessary to just say it, makes no sense neither. I note, btw, that you too, did not simply gave the answer.

Who is misrepresenting what, one may wonder. Did I say patches couldn't be put in by anyone? No. Did I say the funds shouldn't be spend wisely? No. So who is doing the interpretation, here, and what is the relevance of the 'counterarguments' you gave? In as far as someone would want to help out as an software engineer student - which one might reasonably presume lies ABOVE a simple report of a Jira bug which everyone can do, but more likely would involve the code itself, he WOULD have to be able to show he can handle it, true or not? That's exactly what I meant by 'won't let you anywhere near the code' (one would be hard-pressed to see in this a token that ordinary patches can't be *presented* through jira). If this is not the case, and anyone can start fumbling with the code, I'm hereby asking access to directly being able to make changes to the code. I'm no software engineer, but apparently one wouldn't need to demonstrate any aptitude on forehand, then. And certainly not if I'm not going for the paid job, apparently.

Is this closer to the truth? Of course not! You know as well as I, that no-one just arriving on the spot can meddle with the main-branche code just like that. Before he's allowed to do that, he has to show he knows his stuff. Right or wrong? Hence, the 'stringent', aka, exact and precise conditions. There is nothing pejorative about the term 'stringent', btw. Some things need to be stringent. It should have been obvious to you, that when I speak of 'helping ROS', in the context of software engineering, it was pertaining to the code, not some simple bug-filing on Jira. But apparently not. I hereby edit my former post and make it 'to help with ROS coding'. Satisfied? Or can't I still not say the bar is pretty high for that?

In fact, in your last sentence, you indicate exactly that, that you expect '(as) a software engineer student' to be able to do a search on his own. You don't seem to expect this from an ordinary user. Thus, the bar is more raised for him because one is expecting more of someone like that too. And if he's ever going to offer his help with the code - whether it's for a paid job or voluntary, I'm pretty sure demands and requirements will go up even more.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If it was not your intent to imply that our standards for getting patches accepted was on the jobs page, then why did you link it? Cause that's the impression that was given off when you linked that page. Your wording and your use of that page as a reference implied that only people who met the standard on the jobs page would get their patches accepted, which is what Amine took issue with.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:If it was not your intent to imply that our standards for getting patches accepted was on the jobs page, then why did you link it? Cause that's the impression that was given off when you linked that page. Your wording and your use of that page as a reference implied that only people who met the standard on the jobs page would get their patches accepted, which is what Amine took issue with.
Well, exactly! Why would you interpret my link to that site and me saying that one can't come close to the code without any proof of capability (aka, the stringent conditions) to mean that one can't file patches or make bug-reports on Jira? What has one to do with the other? Do you need access for changing the code, to file a JIRA-report/patch? No! So why would I have said that sentence, and why would I link to that jobpage? Because it DID NOT have anything to do with filing patches to Jira! That should have been clear, if you think about it logically. Otherwise, you could as well say: that doesn't mean he can't test ROS, so why did you link to that page? Or create a background for ROS, so why did you link to that page? Or donate to it. Well: duh! Because I set it exactly in the context of a software engineer helping out with the code directly!! That one uses another context oneself, so be it. But that one misinterpreted the context I used it in, well, that's a lack of deduction, and not on my part. Amine was the one suddenly coming up with JIRA-filings, not me, nor the original poster! Maybe it's his take that a software engineer student can only file a patch or a JIRA report just like anyone else, but that is his interpretation. My interpretation is, that a software engineer offering help can also help with the actual coding, but for that he needs to prove himself: hence my link and my comment. It's quite logical once you get the context it's used in.

It should have been *obvious*, thus, that I was talking about it in the context of a software engineer helping with the actual coding, not about filing bugreports on jira, let alone spending funding wisely.
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Drawing that inference was not that difficult due to the way you chained your phrases together. When you follow up "I doubt the ROS devs would let you anywhere near the code" with a link to that page as an example of the standard the project sets, without anything in between, then the natural assumption one would make is that to be allowed "near the code" the standards you just referenced are what the project seeks.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Drawing that inference was not that difficult due to the way you chained your phrases together. When you follow up "I doubt the ROS devs would let you anywhere near the code" with a link to that page as an example of the standard the project sets, without anything in between, then the natural assumption one would make is that to be allowed "near the code" the standards you just referenced are what the project seeks.
It should also have made it clear (within that natural assumption) that 'the ROS devs wouldn't let you anywhere near the code' should be interpreted as referring to helping with the actual coding, directly. There is no sense in interpreting that to mean one can't simply file to JIRA. For filing something to JIRA you do not need permission to deal with the code from the devs, so it's strange a dev like Amine would interpret it that way. And the jobpage IS for actually helping in that way (aka, actual coding but also more stringent conditions). It would seem to me, thus, that the two things are in accordance and reinforce eachother in the interpretation that I was using, and *not* leading to a more confusing inference.

It's basic logic that, because I say that he can't help with the actual coding itself without proving himself (as mentioned on that page), this does NOT mean he can't help in any other way. I don't know why Amine seemed to have forgotten that the conditional use of one thing doesn't mean the impossibility of all the rest. The parent poster just said he was willing to help. Nothing more, nothing less. Pointing out that some specific help (like helping in coding itself) needs some stringent conditions is fully justified. Interpreting that to mean he can't even do any JIRA-filing anymore, is faulty reasoning, and not something I came up with. As said; following that reasoning, one could as well claim I said he couldn't simply test ROS anymore neither (which is also 'helping ROS'). Or wasn't allowed to donate to ROS. It's a reductio ad absurdum to interpret it that way.
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
coryhenrique

Post by coryhenrique »

Guys, I think u have misunderstood, what I would like to know where is stored the NT kernel version on ReactOS?
E.g: Everest indicates that the kernel version is 5.2, where information is stored?

Note: I started the engineering of software in the middle of last year, I'm new at it, but I like very much the field of operating systems. Above all open-source!
I thank all previous answers!

I apologize 4 something, thanks in advance!!! :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

coryhenrique wrote:Guys, I think u have misunderstood, what I would like to know where is stored the NT kernel version on ReactOS?
E.g: Everest indicates that the kernel version is 5.2, where information is stored?

Note: I started the engineering of software in the middle of last year, I'm new at it, but I like very much the field of operating systems. Above all open-source!
I thank all previous answers!

I apologize 4 something, thanks in advance!!! :)
It's not your fault, rest assured. It's just another round of our more obnoxious discussions; it happened before and no doubt it will happen again. In the best case it's due to miscommunication, and in the worst because of people being deliberately obtuse.

You do not have to apologise for anything.

I'm no dev, so I can't help you much with your question. And the devs themselves don't seem to be willing to provide the answer directly. That said, if you're willing to help now or in the future as a software engineer, feel free to do so. As you may have noted ;) you can do that by applying directly to help in the coding itself, which would entail some stringent conditions, or of course, by filing patches or bugreports with Jira, or test ROS, or donate, etc.