ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi. I have some questions about this campaign. I will try to be specific.

1) "Community Edition"... it means that only those who donate have access to it, right?
2) Is Community Edition a separately maintained special version of ReactOS?
3) "Based on ReactOS 0.4"... will it be stable enough?
4) 50.000 $ ... Sensible goal, but is it enough?
5) Is this campaign only for ReactOS Community Edition
or will the original ReactOS also benefit from development?
6) Have you thought of further plans on how to maintain this
version if the funding is successful now? And how? - Sponsors,
further fundraising campaigns...?

Thanks in advance. P.S. I like the style of your advertising on the Indiegogo page
and on http://community.reactos.org/ . Good luck! :D
Last edited by laurflorin on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

littlejth
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by littlejth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm

In the other thread mentioning this, gonzoMD said that all the work from this edition will be fully put back into ReactOS Standard Edition.

DOSGuy
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by DOSGuy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 pm

It would be nice if there were pictures of the physical rewards somewhere, such as the T-shirt (and what the heck is a "Hackbunny plushie"?). Also, some details about the Single Board Computer would be appreciated.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

AmineKhaldi
Developer
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by AmineKhaldi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:10 pm

laurflorin wrote:Hi. I have some questions about this campaign. I will try to be specific.
Hey! Sure
laurflorin wrote:1) "Community Edition"... it means that only those who donate have access to it, right?
Not at all, how can you think of that? :) The backers will get to *decide*, *control* and *shape* the release, but we maintain the free open source spirit, so everyone gets to access it when it's released to the world!
laurflorin wrote:2) Is Community Edition a separately maintained special version of ReactOS?
Initially it will be a release, that is community driven, but if things work we can plan future releases too. Yes, you may consider it as a community-driven ReactOS flavor.
laurflorin wrote:3) "Based on ReactOS 0.4"... will it be stable enough?
ReactOS 0.4 will bt its core, and once the backers decide what we need to work on, we'll get to it.. this requires, as a result, a certain level of stability in the end yes.
laurflorin wrote:4) 50.0000 $ ... Sensible goal, but is it enough?
We have faith in our community, and we believe that the $50k "barrier" will be broken several times ;)
laurflorin wrote:5) Is this campaign only for ReactOS Community Edition or will the original ReactOS also benefit from development?
ReactOS benefits directly from this. Our community wouldn't want any less!
laurflorin wrote:6) Have you thought of further plans on how to maintain this version if the funding is successful now? And how? - Sponsors, further fundraising campaigns...?
We have a mixture of plans/strategies to increase the chances of success: further fundraising campaigns, potential partners...etc. We have opened several programs (check the website, programs section) that many software and hardware vendors may find interesting.
laurflorin wrote:Thanks in advance. P.S. I like the style of your advertising on the Indiegogo page and on http://community.reactos.org/ . Good luck! :D
Thank you for this feedback! We're glad you like the (R)evolution and that motivates us even more! ;)

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by vicmarcal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 pm

DOSGuy wrote:It would be nice if there were pictures of the physical rewards somewhere, such as the T-shirt (and what the heck is a "Hackbunny plushie"?). Also, some details about the Single Board Computer would be appreciated.
Yes. We're working as mad on it. :)
You will see a lot of changes during the next couple of hours.
We weren't expecting so much attention really. Twitter is hot till recently. Our designers(aka me) working at 300%. Amine and Z the poor guys reviewing my vicmarcalish.
:)
Image

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 pm

@ AmineKhaldi

Thanks very much for the feedback. Questions were all answered very clearly ;)

Send my regards and success wishes to the other ReactOS team members. This time
the team seems to have taken a much wiser decision. The initial sponsorship
on Indiegogo has gathered quite some cash so far. And it's just the first day :D

Fingers crossed 'till the end.

P.S. There's a "fresh" new attitude in the air that I am sensing now. It's like devs have switched
from conservative, technical details to more consumer approach. This is seen both on
the fundraising campaign page and also here on the forum. My opinion is that if you
keep this attitude up and running, there will be many more successes to come.
And who knows? Maybe one day you could even become better than Microsoft at its own game!
With the Community's support and the open source nature... I think ReactOS will resemble
Windows - but only with its Pluses and none of its Minuses.
Last edited by laurflorin on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Ah, didn't know there was a new thread opened for it.

I'll post a link to my other post here, then: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13145&start=15#p107621

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 pm

I've posted about this on my Facebook page and in all the computer forums for which I have an account created.

The more people know, the better! :D
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by vicmarcal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 pm

laurflorin wrote:I've posted about this on my Facebook page and in all the computer forums for which I have an account created.

The more people know, the better! :D
Thanks!That's the attitude! :)
Image

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Let's "spam" the world... like a real revolution. They could say that we are mad or
annoying, but in the end they will be thanking us :D

Anyway, every genius has his touch of madness, aye? 8-)


EDIT: $ 1,000 already :mrgreen: That says something ;)
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 pm

http://postimg.org/image/vfk3q0h7r/

http://www.postimg.com/146000/more-145614.jpg

One step further.

Let's rumble! ;) Go go go :D

EDIT: now I've post the link to our Revolution on like 10+ web search engines.
Hope that they will promote us to boost the campaign.

EDIT 2: also spawned on many facebook pages.

I shall settle down now a bit so that I won't be banned from these website.
But at least if I got banned, it were worth it :)
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by Webunny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 pm

vicmarcal wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:It would be nice if there were pictures of the physical rewards somewhere, such as the T-shirt (and what the heck is a "Hackbunny plushie"?). Also, some details about the Single Board Computer would be appreciated.
Yes. We're working as mad on it. :)
You will see a lot of changes during the next couple of hours.
We weren't expecting so much attention really. Twitter is hot till recently. Our designers(aka me) working at 300%. Amine and Z the poor guys reviewing my vicmarcalish.
:)
Also, if it's still possible to do so; check the text under the rewards and change them where necessary (I saw some typo's). No big deal, but if you still can change it, it's little effort too.

And now some practical questions:

1)Is it possible to auto-set the money/numbers in or at that site to Euro's, instead of dollars? It would avoid me having to re-calculate every time, and I'm just more comfortable with my own currency. It's not a major thing, but if there's an auto-convert somewhere that allows (me, in my browser) to see the currency in EUR, it would be nice.

2)If I donate there on that site/indiegogo, is it still possible to get a tax-reduction from it (in an EU-country)? This would allow me to augment my donation considerably.

3)If so, can I choose two 'rewards' at the same time, and make them count as one donation? (This is because in my country, it's only tax-deductible from a minimum amount, but that amount isn't on there, and the approximational amount to it is for a reward that doesn't interest me as much. I would rather choose two different rewards, but then it has to be able to count as one (I think).)

theuserbl
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by theuserbl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 am

Nice.
But why do I see a little difference to other projects?

Other projects (Haiku, KDE, GNOME, LibreOffice, ...): "We working on our project and having fun with it. But for the server, be present on conferences, for marketing, etc, we need money. Please donate."

ReactOS: "We are working hard on this shitty code. It makes no fun. So we need money to pay for people, who doing it. Please donate."

Greatings
theuserbl

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 am

theuserbl wrote:Nice.
But why do I see a little difference to other projects?

Other projects (Haiku, KDE, GNOME, LibreOffice, ...): "We working on our project and having fun with it. But for the server, be present on conferences, for marketing, etc, we need money. Please donate."

ReactOS: "We are working hard on this shitty code. It makes no fun. So we need money to pay for people, who doing it. Please donate."

Greatings
theuserbl
Well, some of the first ones have Big Foundations or Companies supporting them, others have great Donnors behind them. Haiku has a Funding Ideas (Paid for code) too.
Be sure that LibreOffice developers are paid (even if there are casual contributors). Having at least a couple of devs hired is a must for any project, because it ensures the quality of someone caring constantly of part of the code.
Image

laurflorin
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by laurflorin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

Hey devs! :D

I have a tip for you.

XP Support is ending. People still use this OS (~ 30% of the population)

Wouldn't it be nice to stress this idea on the indiegogo page? ;)

The death of XP will not happen thanks to ReactOS.
There would be MANY people who would pay for this :D
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests