Why is it taking so long?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveh

about Win2003 / or Vista+7

Post by steveh »

In Vista and Win7 it is always possible to set a classic desktop style.
And choice of a thin or large taskbar.

So the Vista and 7 can be configured for a 95% XP lookalike.

Only Luna style is not included in Vista / 7.

And what i miss after XP EOS:
the windows search in XP was quite comfortable and configurable.
Vista and 7 search are not as pratical.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Why is it taking so long?

Post by EmuandCo »

Both search functions suck because they dont check ALL files for the needed information. Try SuperFinder
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DOSGuy

Re: about Win2003 / or Vista+7

Post by DOSGuy »

steveh wrote:And what i miss after XP EOS:
the windows search in XP was quite comfortable and configurable.
Vista and 7 search are not as pratical.
That's what I missed the most, too. XP had an amazing Search GUI that allowed you to search by virtually any criteria. It's supposedly possible to search by any of those criteria in Windows 7, but you have to type arguments into the input box as though you were using DOS(!!!). Going from GUI back to command-line is progress? That change makes Windows 7's search functions impractical for most people. Thanks for the tip on SuperFinder, EmuandCo.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nice toy, isn't it? ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Doors

Post by Doors »

Myself I use windows 'everything'

http://www.voidtools.com/

It indexes everything ntfs based locally, the beta version also supports searching network shares, and fat32 if wanted.
Because it monitors local drives including the usn journal it is always up to date locally.
Network shares can be updated on a schedule you set.

Simply put pdf in the search bar and you are looking at a list of pdf files.
After that you can narrow by filename fragment.

All results are instant and realtime.

I have to admit i'm spoiled by it.
steveh

Post by steveh »

@DOSGuy
but you have to type arguments into the input box as though you were using DOS(!!!).
OMG!
i did not even know that search option combinations exist in vista / 7 (usable that complicated way). :evil:
Bluebee

Post by Bluebee »

Reading this post it sounds like advertising Windows 7 !

I strongly advice to stay with the Windows XP user interface and Windows XP compatibility.

If in later times Windows 7 programs will be running, too, that would be okay as long as Windows XP programs are still running.

There are millions of users out there depending on Windows XP because of their - often proprietary software.
It would cost them millions to upgrade their software to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
The five biggest British banks have to pay 50.000.000£ per year to Microsoft to get Windows XP support!
Would it be of help if one of these banks will support ReactOS?
janl

Post by janl »

The five biggest British banks have to pay 50.000.000£ per year to Microsoft to get Windows XP support!
Couldn't you (or somebody else) kontact them and suggest them (let's say) 1 promile (50 000) donate to Reactos. Perhaps Reactos will satisfy them (after some time of paid developing)
oldman

Post by oldman »

janl wrote:
Couldn't you (or somebody else) kontact them and suggest them (let's say) 1 promile (50 000) donate to Reactos. Perhaps Reactos will satisfy them (after some time of paid developing)
You fail to understand corporate Britain, or corporate anywhere. They will not have anything to do with a little open source setup, or an operating system that they have most likely never heard of! They want to deal with another large company that they can get guaranteed support from. The banks most certainly will not put money into ReactOS; they may put money into a start-up company with a good business plan!

You need to knock on Richard Branson's (Virgin) door; even then, he may just laugh at you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
RussoTuristo

Post by RussoTuristo »

happy1460
I think I will be dead by the time this OS is ready.
You sound very upset. But you shouldn't be upset. Don't measure your lifetime with ReactOS. Don't even refer to it in any way. Don't mess with this thing at all. Because it's not a thing anybody should care about. ReactOS has already proved it's a completely dead project. After 18 years of active development it can only show us some kind of an OS-like stub. What other fruits are you still hoping to get from it?
The more important thing is that now ReactOS is just a money collecting project. It doesn't even intend to produce anything useful. It does nothing but try to persuade you to donate some money.
Please don't think that I'm trying to offend ReactOS programmers. These guys are just honest workhorses and they really try to do something useful. But they don't seem to realize how this kind of business is usually run in present-day Russia. Don't you know that ReactOS Foundation is a Russian organization? I'm Russian and I live in Russia, so I know. No one in Russia needs ReactOS. Nor government, nor business, nobody. No one expects it can produce anything useful. And ReactOS rulers know it very well. Any of so called "innovative" projects in Russia has only one goal - to get a government grant. A government official that gives that grant knows for sure that a project will definitely produce nothing, he just takes his share of the grant. That's called corruption, bro.

It's a pity that such a great idea degenerated into this shame. It's a really great loss for us all.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Perspective......

History,, The new year of 2006 was a major set back. 2007 we figured out how some of this "REALLY" really works! So in that "Point of View" nothing got started until 2008. But it was only half of "The Deal". It was hard and it had major push back and some of them went insanely out of control. Resulted in major slow down in 2009. Since 2007 nothing was done for the other half and it was neglected until 2011. End of 2013 the resurgence of push back with criticism, again this too might create a new issue.

Perspective......

So "The New ReactOS Project" started up in 2008.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

RussoTuristo wrote:happy1460
I think I will be dead by the time this OS is ready.
You sound very upset. But you shouldn't be upset. Don't measure your lifetime with ReactOS. Don't even refer to it in any way. Don't mess with this thing at all. Because it's not a thing anybody should care about. ReactOS has already proved it's a completely dead project. After 18 years of active development it can only show us some kind of an OS-like stub. What other fruits are you still hoping to get from it?
The more important thing is that now ReactOS is just a money collecting project. It doesn't even intend to produce anything useful. It does nothing but try to persuade you to donate some money.
Please don't think that I'm trying to offend ReactOS programmers. These guys are just honest workhorses and they really try to do something useful. But they don't seem to realize how this kind of business is usually run in present-day Russia. Don't you know that ReactOS Foundation is a Russian organization? I'm Russian and I live in Russia, so I know. No one in Russia needs ReactOS. Nor government, nor business, nobody. No one expects it can produce anything useful. And ReactOS rulers know it very well. Any of so called "innovative" projects in Russia has only one goal - to get a government grant. A government official that gives that grant knows for sure that a project will definitely produce nothing, he just takes his share of the grant. That's called corruption, bro.

It's a pity that such a great idea degenerated into this shame. It's a really great loss for us all.
Look, I myself have been a staunch critic, where I thought criticism was due. I imagine that didn't always sat well with the devs and blind fanboys. But this amount of negativism is way overboard. It's not because Russia has some corruption-problems, that the whole project and teammembers per definition are money-grabbing embezzlers. ROS is not run from Russia, and the non-profit (Foundation) is located in Germany, as far as I'm aware. So most of your argument which concentrated on this is irrelevant. Yes, there are some russian devs; I don't see any inherent problems with that on itself.

While it's true the development took a very, very long time, one must also note much more progress has been made these last 2-3 years, in comparison with what came before. Thinking about it rationally, one can't but agree to what the devs say about this: you simple can't re-create an OS like XP with some half-to-full-dozen developers working mostly part-time on it, with a corporation like MS who has hundreds of developers working full time on it. Saying the project is dead would have made more sense 5-10 years ago, at least from a first impression standpoint. Things have much improved by now, and continue to improve, in comparison, faster and faster. So it's a curve going rapidly up. It's also way more active (including the site) as it used to be. And we're almost at 0.4, and the new project on IGG is quite good, and doesn't seem like they trying to 'money-grab' at all, but instead rely only on voluntary gifts for a non-profit organisation into developing an open-source OS. It makes less sense for you to say this now than with Thorium. And less about ROS now, than in the past. So I don't see a reason to become all gloomy and negative now neither.

What you're doing here, is not merely giving criticism, let alone constructive criticism, but being unwarrantly negative about it. I repeat: it's not like I have blindfolds on and think every thing they do or did was the best choice neither, but at least one should remain sensible on it, and try to better things, instead of just depicting a grim situation which isn't really warranted.
RussoTuristo

Post by RussoTuristo »

What you're doing here, is not merely giving criticism, let alone constructive criticism, but being unwarrantly negative about it.
Well, you might say that if I'm so "unwarrantably negative" about ReactOS, I shouldn't post anything here at all. But you would be wrong. Because I'm not against ReactOS ideas or developers. I really really think that all those people who have been devoting their time and energy to Linux development could've given humanity much more profit if they had developed a Windows compatible open source OS. Instead of it, they continue to support a group of OSes that are based on the 1970s ideas.
So, I would be one of the most active zealots of such an OS if it existed or even were about to be born. Unfortunately, ReactOS completely ruined these my hopes. So I'm not criticizing. I'm just really disappointed. That's why I joined this forum and made my posts here.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Let's go over the problems with your post.

Development on Windows NT started in 1989. If you're talking about OSes that are "based on the 1970s ideas" then you're looking at systems with a Unix heritage, such as Linux. If your point was to suggest that modern NT has a DOS heritage, you would still be equally incorrect. NT's behavior and architecture is completely unlike that of DOS. It effectively emulates certain DOS behaviors for purposes of backwards compatibility with applications users care about, but these were all built on top of NT's core and are not integral to a fully functioning NT operating system. Then there's your line about "not against ReactOS ideas" before going right on to say that you think they should have been working on Linux instead. Except, well, the idea of ReactOS is to create an NT operating system. Not Linux, not Unix, but an NT system. So how you can be "not against" that but still advocate that the project should abandon its stated goal is a little beyond me.

Your entire argument is premised on the notion that improving a non-Linux operating system doesn't benefit you since your focus is on being able to use Linux based systems. Except that the developers of ReactOS are people that are not using Linux on a day to day basis on their desktops and so improvement of Linux as a desktop system is as equally meaningless to them as advancement of a non-Linux OS is to you. That being the case, your disappointment is a moot point from the perspective of the developers since you don't want to use what they are making and they have no desire to use what you want them to make.
RussoTuristo

Post by RussoTuristo »

First of all, I have to mention again that I'm Russian, and obviously English is not my native language. So, I have to apologize if my posts are totally incomprehensible.
Now let me move on to your post.
Then there's your line about "not against ReactOS ideas" before going right on to say that you think they should have been working on Linux instead.
Who are you talking about? Who should have been working on Linux instead? I said:
I really really think that all those people who have been devoting their time and energy to Linux development could've given humanity much more profit if they had developed a Windows compatible open source OS. Instead of it, they continue to support a group of OSes that are based on the 1970s ideas.
Let me rephrase my words a little.
...all those people who have been devoting their time and energy to Linux development....
= Many people give their free time and effort to develop the Linux kernel and Linux-related software. They do it for free, as volunteers. At least, most of them.
...could've given humanity much more profit if they had developed a Windows compatible open source OS. Instead of it, they continue to support a group of OSes that are based on the 1970s ideas.
=My humble opinion is that it would be much better if they, those numerous Linux developers, devoted their time and efforts to developing a Windows-like OS, because Windows is much more advanced against any Unix-like OS. I suppose it's unreasonable to apply so much energy to Linux, which I called an OS "based on the 1970s ideas". If all those Linux developers had been developing a Windows-like OS instead of Linux, they "could've given humanity much more profit".

So again, who were you talking about? The people I was talking about have already been working on Linux. And they continue doing it. But I'd like if they developed a Windows-like OS instead of Linux.
the idea of ReactOS is to create an NT operating system. Not Linux, not Unix, but an NT system.
Are you trying to play Captain Obvious? :)
So how you can be "not against" that but still advocate that the project should abandon its stated goal is a little beyond me.
No, I don't say that your project has to abandon something. It doesn't matter if your project abandons anything or not. I don't care about it, because it won't change anything. Things will stay where they are. That's why I say that I'm really disappointed that this project, which could achieve such a great goal as creating an open source Windows-compatible OS, doesn't seem to accomplish it someday. :( I said that
It's a really great loss for us all.
Your entire argument is premised on the notion that improving a non-Linux operating system doesn't benefit you since your focus is on being able to use Linux based systems.
WTF??? I don't even like Linux. More than that I think Linux, like any Unix-based OS, is a very ancient OS. I said that present-day Linux uses the same ideas and concepts that remain unchanged since 1970s. I find it ridiculous.
So an idea to create a Windows-compatible open source OS is very, very, very reasonable. It should've been done many years ago. And it was really great that a project with this goal appeared in 1996. And it's a shame that that project spent 18 years for almost nothing.
Except that the developers of ReactOS are people that are not using Linux on a day to day basis on their desktops...
Do I care if they use Linux on their desktops or not?
That being the case, your disappointment is a moot point from the perspective of the developers since you don't want to use what they are making and they have no desire to use what you want them to make.
Of course I don't want to use that they made. The thing they made is not an OS, it's a stub. I couldn't even make their LiveUsb to start. What a great achievement after 18 years of development.

Again, I'm a proponent of the idea of creating an open source Windows-compatible OS. I said:
So, I would be one of the most active zealots of such an OS if it existed or even were about to be born. Unfortunately, ReactOS completely ruined these my hopes. So I'm not criticizing. I'm just really disappointed. That's why I joined this forum and made my posts here.
your disappointment is a moot point from the perspective of the developers
I totally understand that. I don't think that my words can change anything. They are just words. And I don't even hope that they will be noticed. It's really funny (and also very illustrative) that a man who did notice them managed to interpret them in absolutely opposite way.

Anyway, all this is just my IMHO.

PS: Sorry again for my terrible English.
Last edited by RussoTuristo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.