ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

ctasan
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by ctasan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm

The biggest problem in ReactOS is application compatibility.

Example, Office 2000 and XP setup failed. In 2003 Setup couldn't register a module I think it causes from Windows Installer.

In Office 2003, Setup couldn't register a module -I don't remember name of the module-. Office 2003 seems to work but when I attempted to uninstall it, I waited for a few seconds and there was a BSOD with "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" message.

Because of this, we must improve Windows Installer, binaries, Unicode, shell, DirectX etc. Also a lot of crash causes from kernel (ntoskrnl.exe).

Addition 1: I have Windows Research Kernel (WRK) v1.2. It's designed for Server 2003 SP1/XP Professional x64. If you want kernel, I'll give it and you can port it to ReactOS for solving kernel problems.

Addition 2:I use VirtualBox. How can I debug and get a log file during application setup, working and uninstalling for detecting errors?

Thanks, good night.
Can Taşan

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Z98 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Incorporating code from the Windows Research Kernel into ReactOS would be illegal. People need to stop thinking that there are shortcuts.

jonaspm
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by jonaspm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 am

Hi! thank you for your interest in the ReactOS project!

First of all, to get debug logs easily you can create a file called KDBinit in C:\ReactOS\system32\drivers\etc and put a filter into it. Then reboot and choose "ReactOS (Log file)" in the boot menu.

SEE THIS FOR A DETAILED EXPLANATION.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Kdbg#KDBinit
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Kdbg#filter
Image

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am

Debug to Log wont help if your wanna make a backtrace. At that point it wont write to HDD anymore. Use VBox and link the Output to a file OR better... Install Com2Com and configure it to link the two virtual COM Ports COM1 and COM2 which you have to name EXACTLY that way by renaming the CNC1 and CNC2 or whatever name they get by default. Then use Putty to show the Output of COM2. VBOX COM port has to be linked to host's COM1
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm

ctasan wrote:I use VirtualBox. How can I debug and get a log file during application setup, working and uninstalling for detecting errors?
Check out my tutorial, it logs into Putty. You can set a large enough buffer for Putty and then save the buffer to file. As EmuandCo writes, logging directly to file has some disadvantages.

ctasan
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by ctasan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Z98 wrote:Incorporating code from the Windows Research Kernel into ReactOS would be illegal. People need to stop thinking that there are shortcuts.
I have read Windows Research Kernel's licence. We can use it, because it's for non-commercial purposes. I just said it for stopping errors about kernel. You can show me a server or a ReactOS' server and I'll upload it.

Also others, thanks for your help.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Z98 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 pm

No, we cannot. ReactOS does not fit the definition of a non-commercial project.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Non-Commercial != GPL compatible.
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ctasan
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by ctasan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm

You can take a look to WRK license:
Windows Research Kernel Source Code License

This license governs use of the accompanying software, and your use of
the software constitutes acceptance of this license. Your license rights
below are subject to the restrictions in the license, and are available
to you only so long as you remain eligible due to your affiliation with
an accredited educational institution. (For more details on eligibility
see http://www.microsoft.com/resources/shar ... demic.mspx)

You may use and modify this software for any non-commercial purpose within
your educational institution, including making a reasonable number of copies.
Teaching, academic research, and personal experimentation are examples
of purposes which can be non-commercial. You may post copies
on an internal secure server, and it may be installed and used
on personal machines of eligible users.

You may distribute snippets of this software in research papers, books or
other teaching materials, or publish snippets of the software on websites
or on-line community forums that are intended for teaching and research.
The total amount of source code in each of your snippets should
not exceed 50 lines. If you wish to use a larger portion
of the software, please contact compsci@microsoft.com.

You may not use or distribute this software or any derivative works
in any form for commercial purposes. Examples of commercial purposes
would be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling
the software, or distributing the software for use with commercial products.
If you wish to commercialize your work related to the software or take part
in research with industrial partners, you need to contact iplg@microsoft.com
to enquire about a commercial license.

You may distribute the software and modifications to the software for
non-commercial purposes, but only to other eligible users of the software
(for example, to another university student or professor to support joint
academic research). You may not grant rights to the software or derivative
works that are broader than those provided by this license. For example,
you may not distribute modifications of the software under terms that would
permit commercial use, or under terms that purport to require the software
or derivative works to be sublicensed to others.

You may use any information in intangible form that you remember after
accessing the software. However, this right does not grant you a license
to any of Microsoft's copyrights or patents for anything you might create
using such information.

In return for the license rights above, you must agree to these obligations:

1. You will not remove any copyright or other notices from the software,
nor reverse engineer or decompile binary portions of the software,
unless your laws give you the right to do so despite this restriction.

2. You will include a verbatim copy of this license if you distribute
the software in any form.

3. If you distribute derivative works of the software in source code form
you will do so only under this license, and if you distribute derivative
works of the software solely in object form you will do so only under
a license that complies with this license.

4. If you have modified the software or created derivative works,
and distribute such modifications or derivative works, you will cause
the modified files to carry prominent notices describing your changes and
the date of the changes, so that recipients know that they are not receiving
the original software.

5. THE SOFTWARE COMES "AS IS", WITH NO WARRANTIES. THIS MEANS NO EXPRESS,
IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY WARRANTY
OF TITLE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. YOU MUST PASS THIS DISCLAIMER ON WHENEVER
YOU DISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE OR DERIVATIVE WORKS.

6. MICROSOFT WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES RELATED TO THE SOFTWARE
OR THIS LICENSE, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL
OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT THE LAW PERMITS, NO MATTER
WHAT LEGAL THEORY IT IS BASED ON. YOU MUST PASS THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
ON WHENEVER YOU DISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE OR DERIVATIVE WORKS.

7. If you sue anyone over patents that you think may apply to the software
or anyone's use of the software, your license to the software ends immediately.

8. You will not use the software to aid the development of any software
programs that are designed to: (a) harm or intentionally interfere with
the operation of a computer system including any data or information stored
on such computer system; and/or (b) surreptitiously gain or maintain high level
access to a computer system, self-propagate, and/or execute in a manner that
prevents detection, including but not limited to, so-called "rootkit"
software programs, viruses, or worms.

9. Your rights under the license end immediately if you breach it in any way.

10. Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this license.


License Version: 12 January 2006.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Z98 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm

We have looked at the license. We and the entire open source community have examined every single license MS has used for any source code they release. We know exactly which licenses allow us to actually use code in ReactOS and which do not. The WRK's license most emphatically does not.

The_French_Rat
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by The_French_Rat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Z98 wrote:No, we cannot. ReactOS does not fit the definition of a non-commercial project.
One question: How?
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.

WorldBlender
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:34 am

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by WorldBlender » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 am

The_French_Rat wrote: One question: How?
The license(s) that ReactOS are licensed under permit commercial uses, including but not limited to, charging a monetary fee for a copy of ReactOS, forking ReactOS in order to gain a commercial advantage, and usage in a business for essential operations, even if the main user target is towards those of residential or other non-commercial users.
And these snippets,
From the Windows Research Kernel Source Code License:

You may use and modify this software for any non-commercial purpose within
your educational institution, including making a reasonable number of copies.
Teaching, academic research, and personal experimentation are examples
of purposes which can be non-commercial.
You may post copies
on an internal secure server, and it may be installed and used
on personal machines of eligible users. [<- Does not fit the definition of "anyone"]

You may not use or distribute this software or any derivative works
in any form for commercial purposes. Examples of commercial purposes
would be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling
the software, or distributing the software for use with commercial products.


You may distribute the software and modifications to the software for
non-commercial purposes, but only to other eligible users of the software
(for example, to another university student or professor to support joint
academic research). You may not grant rights to the software or derivative
works that are broader than those provided by this license. For example,
you may not distribute modifications of the software under terms that would
permit commercial use
, or under terms that purport to require the software
or derivative works to be sublicensed to others.
go against my main point here.

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Black_Fox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

WorldBlender wrote:The license(s) that ReactOS are licensed under permit commercial uses, including but not limited to, charging a monetary fee for a copy of ReactOS, forking ReactOS in order to gain a commercial advantage, and usage in a business for essential operations, even if the main user target is towards those of residential or other non-commercial users.
And these snippets (snip) go against my main point here.
Thanks for reminding, I tend to forget the forking/derivate aspect of opensource licences in regard to non-commercialism.

The_French_Rat
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact:

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by The_French_Rat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 am

WorldBlender wrote:
The_French_Rat wrote: One question: How?
The license(s) that ReactOS are licensed under permit commercial uses, including but not limited to, charging a monetary fee for a copy of ReactOS, forking ReactOS in order to gain a commercial advantage, and usage in a business for essential operations, even if the main user target is towards those of residential or other non-commercial users.
And these snippets,
From the Windows Research Kernel Source Code License:

You may use and modify this software for any non-commercial purpose within
your educational institution, including making a reasonable number of copies.
Teaching, academic research, and personal experimentation are examples
of purposes which can be non-commercial.
You may post copies
on an internal secure server, and it may be installed and used
on personal machines of eligible users. [<- Does not fit the definition of "anyone"]

You may not use or distribute this software or any derivative works
in any form for commercial purposes. Examples of commercial purposes
would be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling
the software, or distributing the software for use with commercial products.


You may distribute the software and modifications to the software for
non-commercial purposes, but only to other eligible users of the software
(for example, to another university student or professor to support joint
academic research). You may not grant rights to the software or derivative
works that are broader than those provided by this license. For example,
you may not distribute modifications of the software under terms that would
permit commercial use
, or under terms that purport to require the software
or derivative works to be sublicensed to others.
go against my main point here.
Thanks for clarifying.
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.

Bluebee
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 am

Re: ReactOS needs tests and application compatibility

Post by Bluebee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 am

There is a great tool for Development Help: Win32Forth

With Win32Forth it is easy to have interactive and automated access to parts of the source.
For testing I am using VisualFORTH from http://www.visualforth.org
All vF-examples are running on ReactOS
These examples are available at http://www.visualforth.org/Examples/Examples.html

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests