Introduce myself

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nandoe

Introduce myself

Post by nandoe »

Hi all!
My name is nandoe.
I am from Indonesia.
I am interesting with ReactOS as alternative Windows XP.
Regards
Newbie User
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Introduce myself

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi nandoe!
Welcome to ReactOS!
Hopefulle you will find a place to help around here :)
nandoe

Post by nandoe »

Thanks vicmarcal!
By the way, can I help to be a tester or translate for ReactOS?
Maybe something like a compability hardware to run a real PC or Laptop and translate a language from English to Indonesia?
I have no skill programmer.
Where I should to join for find a my place?
Newbie User
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

nandoe wrote:Thanks vicmarcal!
By the way, can I help to be a tester or translate for ReactOS?
Maybe something like a compability hardware to run a real PC or Laptop and translate a language from English to Indonesia?
I have no skill programmer.
Where I should to join for find a my place?
Hello nandoe,

welcome to the community.

You can surely test ReactOS inside a VM. I succesfully used VirtualBox for some time. There you can test your favourite apps or just the quality of the usability.
The test results should be posted to Jira.
But before creating a new issue check if there is already an existing one or an already closed one (then you found a regression ;) )
Jira Issues will be earlier checked/fixed if they contain Debug Logs
For translation you should be able to check out the ReactOS Sourcecode, install the Build environment and build it. More information about translation is here.

There is a Wiki page about real hardware testing, here.

The best place to meet the devs/PR guys is to join the #reactos channel of the freenode IRC network.
better is the #reactos-dev channel, but there you have to request for voice at first. (just for serious things)

I hope this much informations/links doesn't scare you. it is looks more complicated than it is.
I wish you much fun.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

As always GonzoMD providing awesome help.
Yup. You can go from tester to translator. You can try installing ReactOS in your language and check if it shows correctly translated or some English is appearing :)
If you need any help we're around :)
nandoe

Post by nandoe »

Well, thank you so much for help.
If I have a problem, I will ask again.
Thanks
Newbie User
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

nandoe wrote:Hi all!
My name is nandoe.
I am from Indonesia.
I am interesting with ReactOS as alternative Windows XP.
Regards
Hi there, nandoe! Welcome on the forum!

vicmarcal wrote:As always GonzoMD providing awesome help.
Yup. You can go from tester to translator. You can try installing ReactOS in your language and check if it shows correctly translated or some English is appearing :)
If you need any help we're around :)

Speaking of translations, and I'm going to keep it short - because I'm on vacation now and I'm *still* posting through remote on this forum, making someone not very happy if I keep this up for too long ;-) - can you check out how things are with the Dutch translation I made? Especially for the menu-part? I contacted z98 for that several times, and mind you, I'm not saying he didn't do anything for it or isn't busy doing other stuff as well, but it *has* been weeks if not months now, since I started (and finished the majority) of the translation. And when I look at the page in Dutch (the frontpage) still doesn't show up, and I still don't know if I should use 'add content' if I want to change the 'info' and all that under the 'navigation' menu.

It would be nice if things are cleared up and I could get on with these last straws, so when I come back in full, I can just do the remaining parts and it can finally be fully viewed in Dutch.

Can you check up on this vic, and let me know something? (can also be done in pm, if you prefer). Thanks.

See also viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12925
nandoe

Post by nandoe »

I have a question, how can I join into usergroups on translator?
Thanks
Newbie User
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

nandoe wrote:I have a question, how can I join into usergroups on translator?
Thanks
You mean translate on ROS itself, or translate the website?

Not sure about the first, but for the latter it's sufficient to give a sign to z98 (and an obligatory question) or vicmaral.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks
If you want to join Translators (Website), you have to send a Private Message telling us which Language you want to translate and its current status.
If you want to join the Translators (Operating System), you can learn about translating the OS in the rea tos.org/wiki . Some knowledge of coding (what a .rc file is?) is needed.

Thanks!
nandoe

Post by nandoe »

vicmarcal wrote:
Thanks
If you want to join Translators (Website), you have to send a Private Message telling us which Language you want to translate and its current status.
If you want to join the Translators (Operating System), you can learn about translating the OS in the rea tos.org/wiki . Some knowledge of coding (what a .rc file is?) is needed.

Thanks!
I want to join Translator Website and I want to translate from English language to Indonesia language and to whom I should send a Private Message?

Thanks
Newbie User
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

nandoe wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:
Thanks

Thanks!
I want to join Translator Website and I want to translate from English language to Indonesia language and to whom I should send a Private Message?

Thanks

I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember that z98 said there wouldn't be any other translations of the website for the time being. I'm not sure why. Maybe they had too much trouble with the latest of their webtranslator(s). Which would be me. Lol. :D But hey, it's not my fault; I translated everything. I'm just waiting for a sign of how to translate the tabs/links under the 'navigation' menu in the sidebar, since there is no 'translate' tab there, only an 'add content' tab. It's been two months now, and I asked z98 as well as vicamaral about it, on the forum and in pm, but I just don't get a clear answer of how to do it - so it's not like I haven't been patient.

In all honesty, the translation-mechanics are atrocious and not user-friendly at all. If I hadn't known some html myself, it would have been difficult to make without screwing things up (the non-html way of editing is a PITA). Maybe that's why it's put on a hold. Otherwise, I see little reason for it, since the more languages, the merrier, I would say. It would be nice if people from Indonesia who don't know English could check out the site too, for instance.

If I'm wrong about it, you could ask z98 or vicamaral. After all the discussion about involving the public a bit more, it would seem strange, not to say counter-productive, if they now even decided to prohibit people from being helpful in translating as well. Maybe he meant just for translations in ROS itself, I don't remember.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

The getbuilds page was in Italian when I visited yesterday. It's apparently pretty easy for the translators to overwrite or override English when they upload their translations since it keeps happening, so they might be reluctant to give even more people the ability to turn off the English version of the site.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DOSGuy wrote:The getbuilds page was in Italian when I visited yesterday. It's apparently pretty easy for the translators to overwrite or override English when they upload their translations since it keeps happening, so they might be reluctant to give even more people the ability to turn off the English version of the site.
No, that's because they clicked on 'new draft' or 'edit' or some other tab up there, and not 'translate' and THEN edit *on the right language* (unless it's the first time, of course). A mistake is easily made, but as long as one stays focused on just using the translate button and select the edit on the right language, make your adjustments and only then set it on 'for review', things should work out.

Which is why I still haven't clicked on the 'add content' tab under navigation, though I strongly suspect, there, you do need to use it (there is no translate or any other tab there). But I need confirmation of either z98 or vicamaral, but it sure takes time...

It's true it ain't very user-friendly, but if one knows some html and stays focussed on what one is doing, it's manageable. I didn't hear any complaints as of yet, so I think I'm not to blame for any mishaps or the current refusal to take on new translators. I did my job diligently, even if I say so myself. That's not to say there can't be some type-errors here or there, but I don't think that's their problem or concern. Having worked with the system now, and dealing with the translation-mechanics, I do understand to some degree why they're unwilling to let anyone translate, though. If one really knows squat about editing or some html, are not careful and do not understand the concept and layout of that system - it even took me some time, because it is not intuitive - one is bound to make mistakes, even drastic ones. It's not advisable to let the first come-first-served hoi palloi make some editing/translations there. So I'm beginning to understand the reluctance and the stupid question of z98 when I asked for translator rights. The fault, however, is not as much the person asking (or even making a mistake), it's the unintuitive way the whole translation-mechanics is set up. In an age where you have easy make-able wiki's, websites, blogs, etc., the translation process seems overly complicated and not quite thought through (at least, not from a stance of user-friendliness to an ordinary bloke who wants to help translate but doesn't really know much about the process for doing that).

If there is ever some time for the webmaster to redo it, I would recommend a serious overhaul of that system, so ordinary people can translate a page without fear they'll overwrite a completely different page on another language-part.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

The getbuilds page is indeed different from the rest of the website, as it automagically localizes to the language of your browser.
See:
http://jira.reactos.org/browse/ONLINE-364
http://jira.reactos.org/browse/ONLINE-294
for more information.