ROS 3.16 and Virtual Box Error

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

8bit

ROS 3.16 and Virtual Box Error

Post by 8bit »

Nothing has generated this much frustration for me in some time. I've downloaded ROS 3.16 ISO, VBox and VMware versions. I'm running version 4 of VMware Fusion so the ROS version is newer and wouldn't run. So I tried to install ROS within VMware and when prompted to install VMTools, it was greyed out for me. I tried to finish the install and configuring components or registering components (I don't recall the exact error, sorry) displayed for hours so I killed the install and of course it would boot.

I then downloaded VirutalBox 4.3.8 and tried running the VB version of ROS v3.16 and I get an error [bug]failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORKD_WRITABLE)[/bug]. I added 512MB to the system memory, 20GB to size of storage disk and 32MB to video memory, turned off various ports like USB to no avail.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Nixons.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE).

Code: Select all

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}
I then tried to install ROS 3.16 into VBox and when i select the installation ISO, i get the same error. I'd love to test ROS out on my Mac but I'm having no luck.

Any ideas? I've searched the forum but didn't find enough information to figure anything out on my own.

Best Regards,
8bit
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: ROS 3.16 and Virtual Box Error

Post by Z98 »

Two things. You're in something of a no man's land with respect to testing on OSX. None of the currently active developers use OSX as a development platform so we don't have a point of reference to compare to. Second, 0.3.16 shipped with a couple of "known" bugs, including one involving USB devices on VMware. So if you're trying on VMware, you might need to disable USB devices on the guest machine. Also, VMTools is very hit or miss. We're not at the state where they can be claimed to be "consistently" working.
8bit

Post by 8bit »

Z98 wrote:Two things. You're in something of a no man's land with respect to testing on OSX. None of the currently active developers use OSX as a development platform so we don't have a point of reference to compare to. Second, 0.3.16 shipped with a couple of "known" bugs, including one involving USB devices on VMware. So if you're trying on VMware, you might need to disable USB devices on the guest machine. Also, VMTools is very hit or miss. We're not at the state where they can be claimed to be "consistently" working.
Thanks Z98 for the quick reply! That's good to know. I was hoping to test a few applications that won't run on my Mac and I'd like to sell my custom windows computer and ditch ms altogether.

I'll update my VMware Fusion eventually and test without USB and report back.

Thanks again,

Cheers.
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

For the problems with VirtualBox, maybe https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47705 can help you.
8bit

Post by 8bit »

Forever Winter wrote:For the problems with VirtualBox, maybe https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47705 can help you.
Thank you for the link! I will certainly check it out.

This is NOT a ReactOS problem but a Virtual Box issue. I downloaded an Windows XP appliance file from the Microsoft website which can be used legally for 90 days for testing purposes. I wanted to see if this was indeed a VB problem and yes, I get the same error when trying to use that image as well.

Thank you again for the help everyone!

Cheers
8bit

Re: ROS 3.16 and Virtual Box Error **Solved**

Post by 8bit »

Forever Winter,

The link you provided solved my issue! ReactOS is working like a champ so far.

Basically, within the Disk Utility app within OSX, I selected my OSX hard drive, selected Verify Disk Permissions button (which some issues were found on my Applications folder which caused Virtual Box not to work and generate the error) and lastly Repair Disk Permissions button was selected and solved the issue.

Thanks again for your friendly support everyone! Much appreciated.

Cheers
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

\o/ A VBox bug!!