Firefox 26 causes BSOD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

in3D

Firefox 26 causes BSOD

Post by in3D »

I installed Firefox 26 in ROS in VBox, and then every time I started the OS, I got a BSOD at the loading screen. I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall it. The compatibility chart said it worked fine, so why is it not working for me?
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Firefox 26 causes BSOD

Post by Z98 »

Did the person who filled in the entry test it in VBox?
in3D

Post by in3D »

I don't know... it doesn't say.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.3.16
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Z98 wrote:Did the person who filled in the entry test it in VBox?
Yes, I tested in in VBox.
in3D

Post by in3D »

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? I tried debug mode, but the log showed a flood of errors and I couldn't pick out the problem.
middings

Post by middings »

in3D wrote:Do you have any idea what the problem might be? I tried debug mode, but the log showed a flood of errors and I couldn't pick out the problem.
Try bringing the problem you have discovered to the attention of ReactOS's developers. Create a bug report in ReactOS's JIRA Bugtracker. Use the Bugtracker link at the top of the page. Log in with your existing Forum credentials. (If the What's New in JIRA 5.2 splash page appears, you can close it.) Create an issue by typing c or choosing the Create Issue link at the upper left of the page.

The bug you found belongs to the project "Core ReactOS". For the Issue Type, choose what makes the most sense. The bubble with the question mark inside opens a sub-window with short descriptions of the available choices. For the Summary field, write a very short summary of the bug you found. For example you could write, "Firefox 26 causes BSOD on (release name)". For the Description field, add more details so the developers can reproduce your bug. Choose an appropriate priority level then click the Create button on the lower right of the window and you're finished.

Anything you're not sure about or anything best left to the Project Lead you can leave blank or as you found it when you opened the issue. The Project Lead will make additions or changes to the issue you've created as necessary.

I look forward to seeing the bug you have found become resolved.
in3D

Post by in3D »

Ah, thank you. I originally wanted to put it there, but was unsure of a category.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Don't file bugs against a release. File bugs against trunk.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I've tested 27.0.1 with trunk and it worked okay. Set the proxy and off and going!
in3D

Post by in3D »

Do you mean turn on proxy? Is there a problem with networking in ROS? Also, I don't use trunk builds, are they better?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A point release is obsolete before it's even released. Bug reports against them aren't really useful since the amount of changes between a point release and the bleeding edge of trunk can be significant.
in3D

Post by in3D »

Interesting. I assume trunk builds are less stable, are the new features worth it?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There is no such thing as a stable release right now. ReactOS is alpha.
in3D

Post by in3D »

Yes, but in a relative sense, releases are stable compared to trunks, right?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That's not guaranteed. If a release is more "stable" it's because we deliberately chose a revision that we knew did not have any major crashing bugs. But that revision could be dozens or even hundreds of versions behind the bleeding edge, at which point test results from it may no longer be useful, especially if a lot of work was done on a particular module or a Wine sync happened.