Motto Competition (Final Phase)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

Motto Competition (Final Phase)

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey everyone!

The voting process for the 2nd phase (http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12976) of the ReactOS motto competition has ended, entering its' final phase, which comprises the top 3 mottoes. The reason why I added another phase was because non of the mottoes were able to achieve at least 50% of the voting. If one of them would have reached this goal, the 3rd phase would prove useless.

So, here are the final results of the 2nd phase:
[ external image ]

Unfortunately, only 64 votes were received, but the post was viewed 1494 times! If every single person who entered the thread could have voted, we could have received a lot more votes, leading to a better confidence rate of the people's choice of their favorite motto. So I wish to turn to those who see this post, and ask them to vote, for the sake of the project!

The Survey will be locked on February 16th at EXACTLY 23:59 (GMT +2).

This is it boys and girls! Let get this show on the road! Good luck to all of our contestants!!!

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor! ;)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dq8ij9 ... g/viewform
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
Aeneas

Re: Motto Competition (Final Phase)

Post by Aeneas »

Firstly, anone who takes interest in your survey may well view it multiple times, so "views" does not equate at all to "viewers".

Secondly - and much more interestingly - your post is an indication of a certain "view to action ratio". We may say that a thing can be viewed 20-25 times before anyone even takes a note of it. That might be more interesting for ReactOS. E.g., if they ask for testing or support or whatever, if a thread is viewed 2000x, maybe there will be some 80-100 members actually taking steps, presumably less if the request is difficult, challenging or time-consuming.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Aeneas wrote:Firstly, anyone who takes interest in your survey may well view it multiple times, so "views" does not equate at all to "viewers".

Secondly - and much more interestingly - your post is an indication of a certain "view to action ratio". We may say that a thing can be viewed 20-25 times before anyone even takes a note of it. That might be more interesting for ReactOS. E.g., if they ask for testing or support or whatever, if a thread is viewed 2000x, maybe there will be some 80-100 members actually taking steps, presumably less if the request is difficult, challenging or time-consuming.
Taking into consideration the fact of your "request-to-action-ratio" based on the difficulty, challenges and the time a task requires one to work on, every single user who views this post (and I'm ignoring the number of views to a thread) should vote, since it's not at all difficult, challenging or time-consuming. Thus, I come with 2 conclusions:
1) Either the ROS community is lazy even to vote on a principle manner
OR
2) The ROS community does not believe that any self actions would by taken into consideration by the devs and may promoted within the development team.
helsinkiharbour

Post by helsinkiharbour »

ArmyMan007 wrote: 1) Either the ROS community is lazy even to vote on a principle manner
OR
2) The ROS community does not believe that any self actions would by taken into consideration by the devs and may promoted within the development team.
I can give a third reason: was not aware at all of a ongoing motto voting. This could have been also pushed out over the usual news channels to the broad IT public as major step for reactos, showing activity, progress and offering a way to "participate"... well, still not to late. ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ArmyMan007 wrote:
Aeneas wrote:Firstly, anyone who takes interest in your survey may well view it multiple times, so "views" does not equate at all to "viewers".

Taking into consideration the fact of your "request-to-action-ratio" based on the difficulty, challenges and the time a task requires one to work on, every single user who views this post (and I'm ignoring the number of views to a thread) should vote, since it's not at all difficult, challenging or time-consuming. Thus, I come with 2 conclusions:
1) Either the ROS community is lazy even to vote on a principle manner
OR

Personally, I think 2. Even I didn't almost vote, just because it's rather pointless; z98 already indicated he won't give any consideration to this motto-vote. So it's like: what's the use? It's because it was only a click that I decided to do it anyway, but if it had taken any more effort, I would not have done so, because it's fruitless and wasted effort, then. It would be something else if the devs really put their approval to it, but this is not the case...
Marius

Post by Marius »

I guess there is two reasons:
1. It's too early because it's not close to version 1.0, so when it's in pre-alpha/alpha/beta stages of development, you don't worry about that kind of stuff. Motto's etc is something you find just before release.
2. I'm not a native english speaking person, but when almost every motto gave me speaking problems when trying to speak them out loud, and that's not because I suck at speaking english, but the suggested motto's just felt awkward.
helsinkiharbour

Post by helsinkiharbour »

Marius wrote:I guess there is two reasons:
1. It's too early because it's not close to version 1.0, so when it's in pre-alpha/alpha/beta stages of development, you don't worry about that kind of stuff. Motto's etc is something you find just before release.
2. I'm not a native english speaking person, but when almost every motto gave me speaking problems when trying to speak them out loud, and that's not because I suck at speaking english, but the suggested motto's just felt awkward.
(bahh... non-constructive negativity based on a subjective opinion.)

Yeah, such votes are held exactly held therefore... to find a motto which sounds fine for most ears ... so everyone vote.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

helsinkiharbour wrote:
Marius wrote:I guess there is two reasons:
(bahh... non-constructive negativity based on a subjective opinion.)

Yeah, such votes are held exactly held therefore... to find a motto which sounds fine for most ears ... so everyone vote.

Joy! Open your windows to freedom wins!

Now, make a petition for that logo and give it to z98 or other devs. Maybe they'll be swayed by your powers of persuasion...
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Vote!
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Please vote!
milon

Post by milon »

I'm guessing that by now, everyone who will vote already has. Everyone else either doesn't like the options or isn't going to bother.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I voted for Open your Windows to Freedom! :lol:
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hurry up everyone! Only 4 more days to go!
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Entering the final 12 hours! CAST YOUR VOTE!!!
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ArmyMan007 wrote:Entering the final 12 hours! CAST YOUR VOTE!!!
And the winner is...