Rufus now supports ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Rufus now supports ReactOS

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Rufus is an utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.

[ external image ]

http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus_v1.4.2_BETA3.exe Direct link
milon

Re: Rufus now supports ReactOS

Post by milon »

I was going to wait for the next stable release to update the LiveUSB wiki, but maybe I won't wait. That feature was added to v1.4.2 Beta 1. It's now at Beta 3. I tested it, but just realized that the test I did was with a stick already formatted to boot. When I have time to run a proper test, I'll update the wiki. In the meantime, has anyone else run any tests with Rufus to make a bootable ROS stick?
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

¿? Support for ReactOS? Run under ReactOS?, what does mean?.

Altrought if now rufus can do a USB- bootable ReactOS's iso maybe better said: "rufus now support Windows Server 2003" but i don't know if rufus supported "Windows Server 2003" as is whitout R2 update.
milon

Post by milon »

It means that Rufus can be used (under Windows) to create a bootable ReactOS ISO on a flash drive. It *should* work for both LiveCD and BootCD iso's.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

You can run the RUFUS tool from Windows to transform a ReactOS ISO onto an USB flash drive so you end up with a bootable ReactOS (LiveCD is possible, BootCD is possible. Installed ReactOS isn't possible).

The (USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0) flash drive has to be inserted into an USB port that's (in)directly connected to one of your motherboard's EHCI/OHCI/UHCI (USB2.0 and/or 1.1) controllers. USB 3.0 port (XHCI) won't work as ReactOS has no driver stack for it. Same as trying to install Windows 7 from flash drive on USB3 port. Also goes wrong.

What works:
* bootloader
* driver loading

What doesn't work:
* logfile creation
* booting to desktop/installer screens due to inaccessible boot device issues. Somewhere something in the USB driver(-stack) is still not flawless.

RUFUS won't copy itself to the ReactOS flash drive, even though it's a win32 program thus something that ReactOS should be able to run.
Several APIs and other code in ReactOS are not mature/implemented enough yet to let RUFUS run from USB Flash drive.

What would be nice to have working: ReactOS installing from USB drive onto itself, thus ending up with all of these:
1) SETUP environment
2) Live environment
3) Installed environment

and ofcourse you could add the Build Environment, source code, and other programs/software if you like. By that time some kind of SolidStateDrive (SSD) might be nice though as an USB boot disk.
Akeo

Post by Akeo »

Hi, I'm the author of Rufus.
mametoc wrote:¿? Support for ReactOS? Run under ReactOS?, what does mean?.
It means that it supports picking a ReactOS ISO, and converting it to a bootable USB.
It also means that, even without using an ISO, Rufus provides an additional mode where you can can install the freeldr bootblocks (so that you can then copy freeldr and an freeldr.ini onto an USB to make it boot ReactOS).
Finally, since I fixed an issue that prevented it, it means that Rufus can now be launched from within ReactOS (though it seems that limitations in the USB API implementation will still prevent it to properly detect any USB drive connected).

For more details, please see the announcement posts detailing all this in the mailing lists here, and here.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.
milon

Post by milon »

milon wrote:I was going to wait for the next stable release to update the LiveUSB wiki, but maybe I won't wait. That feature was added to v1.4.2 Beta 1. It's now at Beta 3. I tested it, but just realized that the test I did was with a stick already formatted to boot. When I have time to run a proper test, I'll update the wiki. In the meantime, has anyone else run any tests with Rufus to make a bootable ROS stick?
I've updated the Live USB wiki. I even verified that I started with a non-bootable USB drive this time. ;) Rufus makes USB booting painless (or it will, when ROS can load its USB drivers properly).
Akeo

Post by Akeo »

Thanks for this!

For what is worth, Rufus v1.4.2 should officially be released in a couple of days.
I wouldn't mind releasing it sooner, but I gave my translators tomorrow as the deadline for any new translation they want to see included in that release...
milon

Post by milon »

The LiveUSB wiki is updated again. :D