Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by milon »

On the main page, the "next ›" and "last »" links under Blogs don't seem to be working. The whole page reloads, but the Blogs section does not advance to the 2nd page of blogs. I am using Chrome on 64-bit Win7. Anyone else getting this behavior?
fred02

Post by fred02 »

milon wrote:Anyone else getting this behavior?
Yes, Opera 12.15/XP32SP3.
All three links seem odd: http://www.reactos.org/front?page=1, but even changing manually to http://www.reactos.org/front?page=2 still reloads the first page.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Just tsome small remarks: I had a bit of trouble getting in (the forum) with my username from the old website. It's difficult to guess at the start if it's the login or password, but even when I asked to send a new password it didn't recognise my username and/or emailaddy.

That said, when I tried the same with the login-button on the side-bar of the main page, while it didn't work directly neither, it did allow me to reset my password (so apparently, it did recognise my username/mailaddy there).

Could be this was how it's supposed to work, and everything is ok for me now, just thought I should mention it.

Edit: also, there have been a couple of times this last week, that the website gave an error. I therefore think there is still an issue of instability which should looked into, imho.

:arrow: Also: I already told z98 in his "Intellectual Property: Fundamentals": the comment-system on the news/comment section of the main page is unstable. Most of the time, when I press 'save', it just hangs, and hangs, and ultimately gives an error. One is hard pressed to believe it worked, then, so people naturally post it again. Yet, while you don't see it and there's an error, the comment *actually* went through (you can see that if you start afresh on the site). So people who have tried it more than once, thinking it didn't work (due to the hanging and error), actually place their comment twice or more.

One should really look into this...
middings

Post by middings »

Webunny wrote:...the comment-system on the news/comment section of the main page is unstable. Most of the time, when I press 'save', it just hangs, and hangs, and ultimately gives an error. One is hard pressed to believe it worked, then, so people naturally post it again. Yet, while you don't see it and there's an error, the comment *actually* went through (you can see that if you start afresh on the site). So people who have tried it more than once, thinking it didn't work (due to the hanging and error), actually place their comment twice or more.

You may wish to report this in JIRA, the ReactOS bug tracker. You can reach the bug tracker from most ReactOS web pages (including this one) by clicking "Bugtracker" at the top of the page, then log in to JIRA. Your ReactOS forum credentials should work.

Bugs in the web site are collected in the project named ReactOS Online Service. JIRA calls a bug report an "issue". Before creating a new issue, check for any existing issue that covers the same bug. From the Issues menu, choose Search for Issues. The Search page will appear. To see only the issues for ReactOS Online Service, click the Projects button then check the box for ReactOS Online Service (ONLINE). Here is a link to the results of a search for "comment" in the ReactOS Online Service (ONLINE) project: https://jira.reactos.org/issues/?jql=pr ... %20COMMENT.

After finding no existing issue that covers the bug, start a new issue by clicking Issues at the top of the page. Then click Create Issue. Fill in the Summary, Environment, and Description fields with information about the bug. Filling in every field is unnecessary. If the default settings are not appropriate, the Project Lead will modify them. A file containing a screenshot that illustrates the bug may be attached to the issue. Click the Create button at the bottom of the Create Issue form to make the bug report.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:
Webunny wrote:...the comment-system on the news/comment section of the main page is unstable. Most of the time, when I press 'save', it just hangs, and hangs, and ultimately gives an error. One is hard pressed to believe it worked, then, so people naturally post it again. Yet, while you don't see it and there's an error, the comment *actually* went through (you can see that if you start afresh on the site). So people who have tried it more than once, thinking it didn't work (due to the hanging and error), actually place their comment twice or more.

You may wish to report this in JIRA, the ReactOS bug tracker. You can reach the bug tracker from most ReactOS web pages (including this one) by clicking "Bugtracker" at the top of the page, then log in to JIRA. Your ReactOS forum credentials should work.

Bugs in the web site are collected in the project named ReactOS Online Service. JIRA calls a bug report an "issue". Before creating a new issue, check for any existing issue that covers the same bug. From the Issues menu, choose Search for Issues. The Search page will appear. To see only the issues for ReactOS Online Service, click the Projects button then check the box for ReactOS Online Service (ONLINE). Here is a link to the results of a search for "comment" in the ReactOS Online Service (ONLINE) project: https://jira.reactos.org/issues/?jql=pr ... %20COMMENT.

After finding no existing issue that covers the bug, start a new issue by clicking Issues at the top of the page. Then click Create Issue. Fill in the Summary, Environment, and Description fields with information about the bug. Filling in every field is unnecessary. If the default settings are not appropriate, the Project Lead will modify them. A file containing a screenshot that illustrates the bug may be attached to the issue. Click the Create button at the bottom of the Create Issue form to make the bug report.
You sure about that? I filed it, but it seems to me that whole jira-system is geared towards dealing with core-development issues, not website-related issues. The dropdown-menus don't give any options for it, for instance.

Also: where is the compatibility database gone to? I know it's still on the old site, but there it only goes to 3.14 (and besides, it didn't recognise my nick/password??), but I do hope one is planning to put it over to the new site? I always found it interesting to read up about it, and to check it out (and it was also an easy way for a non-coder to feel useful in a not overly-burdening way). I really think one should make a similar system on the new website.
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Webunny wrote: You sure about that? I filed it, but it seems to me that whole jira-system is geared towards dealing with core-development issues, not website-related issues. The dropdown-menus don't give any options for it, for instance.

Also: where is the compatibility databse gone to? I know it's still on the old site, but there it only goes to 3.14 (and besides, it didn't recognise my nick/pasword??), but I do hope one is palnning to put it over to the new site? I always found it interesting to read up about it, and to check it out (and it was also an easy way for a non-coder to feel useful in a not overly-burdening way). I really think one should make a similar system on the new website.
You can choose the "Project" for your report: "Core ReactOS" for ReactOS itself, some other things, and "ReactOS Online Services" for everything related to website: it's what you're searching for.
Concerning the compatibility database, it needs to be ported to Drupal to be integrated there, and nobody from the officials had time to do that. So you can contact Z98 aka. zguo aka. ziliang guo for that (IRC, or create a report on Jira...) or Aleksey or Pierre (aka. HeisSpiter on IRC) or Colin Finck...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

hbelusca wrote:
Webunny wrote: You sure about that? I filed it, but it seems to me that whole jira-system is geared towards dealing with core-development issues, not website-related issues. The dropdown-menus don't give any options for it, for instance.

Also: where is the compatibility databse gone to? I know it's still on the old site, but there it only goes to 3.14 (and besides, it didn't recognise my nick/pasword??), but I do hope one is palnning to put it over to the new site? I always found it interesting to read up about it, and to check it out (and it was also an easy way for a non-coder to feel useful in a not overly-burdening way). I really think one should make a similar system on the new website.
You can choose the "Project" for your report: "Core ReactOS" for ReactOS itself, some other things, and "ReactOS Online Services" for everything related to website: it's what you're searching for.
Concerning the compatibility database, it needs to be ported to Drupal to be integrated there, and nobody from the officials had time to do that. So you can contact Z98 aka. zguo aka. ziliang guo for that (IRC, or create a report on Jira...) or Aleksey or Pierre (aka. HeisSpiter on IRC) or Colin Finck...
Yes, as you can see, I did file it under "ReactOS Online Services", but still, the place was pretty much geared towards core-coding in almost all aspects. Which are, ofcourse, most of the issues reported.

Anyway, the compatibility database was a nice touch, so I hope they port it over soon.
middings

Post by middings »

Webunny wrote:
middings wrote:You may wish to report this in JIRA, the ReactOS bug tracker. You can reach the bug tracker from most ReactOS web pages (including this one) by clicking "Bugtracker" at the top of the page, then log in to JIRA. Your ReactOS forum credentials should work.

You sure about that? I filed it, but it seems to me that whole jira-system is geared towards dealing with core-development issues, not website-related issues. The dropdown-menus don't give any options for it, for instance.
Thank you for your comments. You showed me that I was not as clear as I wished to be. I mistakenly referred to the Project button as the Projects button. There is a menu item labeled Projects. If my mistake led you to click that instead of the button labeled Project (no 's') then I caused the problem you experienced. I apologize.

I have re-written some of the instructions.

To view only the JIRA issues for the ReactOS Online Service project:

1) Navigate to JIRA by clicking the Bugtracker link that is at the top of the ReactOS web site's home page and most other ReactOS web pages.

An opportunity to log in to JIRA is available on the ReactOS JIRA home page. To view issues, logging in is not required. (To see all the options in the Issues drop-down list including Create Issue, logging in is required.)

2) The top portion of JIRA pages have a menu bar with four items: Dashboards, Projects, Issues, and Agile. Each item has a downward pointing arrowhead (down arrow) that opens the drop-down list associated with that item. There is also a search field marked Quick Search. Click Issues. (Or open the Issues drop-down list and click Search for Issues.) This opens a page labeled Search.

3) The Search page has two modes, Basic and Advanced. When in Basic mode, the buttons Project, Issue Type, Status, and Assignee appear below the word Search (the page label). There is also a link labeled Switch to Advanced. NOTE: The Project button has a function that is different from the Projects item in the JIRA menu bar.

In Advanced mode, these buttons are replaced by a large search box and to its right is a link labeled Switch to Basic. If in Advanced mode, switch to Basic mode by clicking the link labeled Switch to Basic.

4) The Search page lists the issues entered into JIRA. Thousands of ReactOS issues have been opened in JIRA. To sort the issues, click one of the column headings. To screen the issues for the ReactOS Online Service project, click the button labeled Project. Inside the drop-down list that appears, click the box labeled ReactOS Online Service. A check mark will appear in the box. (Issues can be sorted and re-sorted at any time, including after being screened.)

5) The Search page takes a few seconds to screen the issues. When the Project button displays "Project: ReactOS Online Service", the issues have been screened and only issues for the ReactOS Online Service project will be shown. These projects have a key with the word ONLINE in it. Click the Project button again to dismiss the drop-down list.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Instability on the main site won't be fixed until we resolve the database contention issue.