Media player Classic on Github

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Angelus

Re: Media player Classic on Github

Post by Angelus »

IMHO right now ReactOS (alpha/beta stages) should (/ must) be shipped with only the OS itself, without any add-ons, to make it as lightweight as it can be to let fast downloads and easy test. Anyone can install any app easily using Rapps app on demand.

To ship ReactOS with some software as stated here will let us to other discussions like i.e. "¿Why MPC and not VLC? " and so on. So again IMHO right now ReactOS should be shipped without non-OS-essential 3th-party software.

Of course, in the future, when ReactOS becomes stable (latest betas or +1.X versions) we could discuss about a (let's say) commercial release with all the 3th party software really useful for the final user (media players, office pack softwares, partition managers, system optimizers, compressor tools, internet browsers, mail clients, and so on and on and on and on....).
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

What I see eventually happening is Rapps being integrated into the installer. You can just check off the programs you want installed, and as soon as it loads up your network driver, it will download them. Once setup finishes installing ROS, it silent installs the downloaded apps.

Heck, if setup can prioritize the registry and basic folder structure, you could make a sandbox redirect driver and install the apps while ROS is being installed. Any changes (like DLL registrations) that need to be done in the OS could be queued to run on first start, registry entries can be redirected to the offline registry.
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

BrentNewland wrote:....
Heck, if setup can prioritize the registry and basic folder structure, you could make a sandbox redirect driver and install the apps while ROS is being installed. Any changes (like DLL registrations) that need to be done in the OS could be queued to run on first start, registry entries can be redirected to the offline registry.
I strongly believe the exact MS methods should be implemented with unattended deployment (WIM images/unattended.txt/xml etc.) so ReactOS could be dropped into existing System Management/Deployment scenario's (SCCM/WDS/LANdesk/XenApp etc. etc.) without too much trouble.
Re-inventing the wheel would not be beneficial.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

rembrandt wrote:
BrentNewland wrote:....
I strongly believe the exact MS methods should be implemented with unattended deployment (WIM images/unattended.txt/xml etc.) so ReactOS could be dropped into existing System Management/Deployment scenario's (SCCM/WDS/LANdesk/XenApp etc. etc.) without too much trouble.
However, migration cost will not be zero, but will be minimal for such a Windows to ReactOS transistion.
Some methods such as bug reporting and using online accounts will obviously be different.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
fred02

Post by fred02 »

erkinalp wrote:
rembrandt wrote:I strongly believe the exact MS methods should be implemented with unattended deployment (WIM images/unattended.txt/xml etc.) so ReactOS could be dropped into existing System Management/Deployment scenario's (SCCM/WDS/LANdesk/XenApp etc. etc.) without too much trouble.
However, migration cost will not be zero
Indeed. Also WIM can not be used, as it is proprietary. unattended contains a lot of Windows-specific entries such as licensing, IE/OEM-branding, etc. which are useless for ROS. So there is no need to copy these when ROS will be ready for enterprise deployment.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

fred02 wrote:
erkinalp wrote: However, migration cost will not be zero
Indeed. Also WIM can not be used, as it is proprietary. unattended contains a lot of Windows-specific entries such as licensing, IE/OEM-branding, etc. which are useless for ROS. So there is no need to copy these when ROS will be ready for enterprise deployment.
However, we can use a dump drive-style raw images that will serve exact same purpose as WIMs for ReactOS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

If Microsoft jumps the cliff down, jumps you then also ?
noo' *head wave* ... common..serious ? ! or can you make it maybe more complicated ???
Hold it easy and usable and not an compress in compress crap ..
this dirty compress and try to hold hidden it is for the enduser to hold they
are as Users and make not easy possible for leaning how it works ..
so, don't think about for make so an crap like Microsift does like in the last jears with the Installer and try to hide it ....

like it is now it is totaly enough.. don't need so an sh..t .. maybe compress as zip okey.. but not more ..
the users mus be have an possible to take an look in and learn about ..
Nt, the structure of the installation and easy(est) adjustment of the installation ..

best regards
Blacky
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Blacky, you can compress without hiding, if you use common algorithms. I suggest a 7z based compression if the aim is to minimize image size, although compressing in that format is somewhat expensive.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

mrugiero wrote:Blacky, you can compress without hiding, if you use common algorithms. I suggest a 7z based compression if the aim is to minimize image size, although compressing in that format is somewhat expensive.
really ?

http://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/User:Blackcrack
*wide grin*
(my english is maybe bad.. very bad, but my knowing it is good :mrgreen: )

now in serious , you suggestion is not bad, maybe can use an 7zfs or something, if exist ..
so it is possible for go in the compress File and extract later maybe needed files
with an free/total/or what ever commander or with "Far" in prompt ..

best regards
Blacky
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

Wow, a 5 page discussion about something so simple! Summed up in 5 points:

1) ReactOS is open source 100%, it WILL follow the same path as Linux, with lots of flavours/distros.
2) ReactOS already has a Applications Installer app, similar to the Linux apt-get, but a lot easier.
3) ReactOS team will always focus on the "core" functionality of the OS. The community will focus on how to use it.
4) ReactOS may recommend a specific distro that has a useful set of software on it, one day, but will never maintain it.
5) ReactOS is cool as school! (Or not but I don't have a fifth point!)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

bernarddt wrote:Wow, a 5 page discussion about something so simple! Summed up in 5 points:

1) ReactOS is open source 100%, it WILL follow the same path as Linux, with lots of flavours/distros.
2) ReactOS already has a Applications Installer app, similar to the Linux apt-get, but a lot easier.
3) ReactOS team will always focus on the "core" functionality of the OS. The community will focus on how to use it.
4) ReactOS may recommend a specific distro that has a useful set of software on it, one day, but will never maintain it.
5) ReactOS is cool as school! (Or not but I don't have a fifth point!)
I miss the Facebook LIKE! Button ^^. That says everything.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I wince whenever anyone suggests that numerous distros will be the norm for ReactOS.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Z98 wrote:I wince whenever anyone suggests that numerous distros will be the norm for ReactOS.
good opinion !

+like

emu, wood way (wrong track, an german wordplay) it's maybe not hart , but good if anyone fall *bg*

best regards
Blacky
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Blackcrack wrote:
Z98 wrote:I wince whenever anyone suggests that numerous distros will be the norm for ReactOS.
good opinion !

+like

emu, wood way (wrong track, an german wordplay) it's maybe not hart , but good if anyone fall *bg*

best regards
Blacky
This may indeed end-up like this: [ external image ]
:lol:
Last edited by fred02 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

lol... !!
+like