Developers: make ROS your playground

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zc456

Developers: make ROS your playground

Post by Zc456 »

It's mentioned numerous of times in posts and I don't if it has as a topic, so forgive me. First of all, I'm not a member of any team, don't claim to be, but I know enough about Windows and ReactOS to at least give a few pointers. Plus I'm starting to get a better understanding of how the team operates. But that's not the point...

Point is that it's been suggested many times by the ROS developers that the best way for the system flourish is to develop simple or complex applications as you can on ROS itself until you trip on a bug, cause the system to crash :D, ect, and submit to the team. Basically, make ROS your playground, by writing applications that push the system to it's max while testing present and stable ones, such as Firefox. Granted, you have the capabilities in the first place.

Just my two cents.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
Black_Fox

Re: Developers: make ROS your playground

Post by Black_Fox »

It's not necessary as long as JIRA is full of unresolved bug reports by other people :-) The developers have already their hands full of bugs that are known, there's no need (yet) for them to search for more. The devs of course discover some bugs, but a lot more are discovered thanks to the community of fans who make ROS their playground!
turtleman

Post by turtleman »

Developers need to repair the already-broken playground equipment :P
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

turtleman wrote:Developers need to repair the already-broken playground equipment :P
Well, part of the sandbox or playground is finding what works to fix the problem. :roll:
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
milon

Post by milon »

Zc456 wrote:
turtleman wrote:Developers need to repair the already-broken playground equipment :P
Well, part of the sandbox or playground is finding what works to fix the problem. :roll:
Also, a number of old bugs have likely already been fixed just by rewrites/improvements and we just haven't figured out which ones yet.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

milon wrote:Also, a number of old bugs have likely already been fixed just by rewrites/improvements and we just haven't figured out which ones yet.
In that case, those who committed the bugs should test them, and if all who complained are happy, then mark them resolved.

One other comment is that sometimes fixing new bugs can shed light on old ones.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

PurpleGurl wrote:
milon wrote:Also, a number of old bugs have likely already been fixed just by rewrites/improvements and we just haven't figured out which ones yet.
In that case, those who committed the bugs should test them, and if all who complained are happy, then mark them resolved.

One other comment is that sometimes fixing new bugs can shed light on old ones.
That's whole point. Create an application designed to work flawlessly on a flawed system in order to make use of APIs that may not be or still being developed in order to find new bugs in the system and treat them, weather it be by contacting the developers of said bug or handing the code you used to fix it. Don't mean to sound cheesy but part of moving things forward involves getting your hands and feet wet.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Zc456 wrote:It's mentioned numerous of times in posts and I don't if it has as a topic, so forgive me. First of all, I'm not a member of any team, don't claim to be, but I know enough about Windows and ReactOS to at least give a few pointers. Plus I'm starting to get a better understanding of how the team operates. But that's not the point...

Point is that it's been suggested many times by the ROS developers that the best way for the system flourish is to develop simple or complex applications as you can on ROS itself until you trip on a bug, cause the system to crash :D, ect, and submit to the team. Basically, make ROS your playground, by writing applications that push the system to it's max while testing present and stable ones, such as Firefox. Granted, you have the capabilities in the first place.

Just my two cents.
Well. Devs usually creates some testcases before going into a rewrite, but they dont have time to create a testcase that replicates a bug from an app.
This work is done by the Testers-Developers who are guys skilled to obtain a Debuglog but also able to code small snippets with any framework: from QT, to GTK or using pure WinAPI.
We know that GTK uses some GDI functions which are really bugged. We know it because GTK apps looks really bad.
But we don't know which GTK GUI api are the bugged ones. A pity noone, aka a GTK Tester-Developer, has cared enough to create basic exes(just drawing a rectangle or a circle or a string could be a perfect valid test) to understand why GIMP looks so bad, for example.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

vicmarcal wrote: Well. Devs usually creates some testcases before going into a rewrite, but they dont have time to create a testcase that replicates a bug from an app.
This work is done by the Testers-Developers who are guys skilled to obtain a Debuglog but also able to code small snippets with any framework: from QT, to GTK or using pure WinAPI.
We know that GTK uses some GDI functions which are really bugged. We know it because GTK apps looks really bad.
But we don't know which GTK GUI api are the bugged ones. A pity noone, aka a GTK Tester-Developer, has cared enough to create basic exes(just drawing a rectangle or a circle or a string could be a perfect valid test) to understand why GIMP looks so bad, for example.
I created a GTK Test App which draws some labels (they are screwed up under ROS) but when I looked inside Jira i saw that there are allready many tests about gtk, so is this obsolete?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I've been a web programmer for so long that I had almost forgotten that I used to be an applications developer. Now I'm curious if my old programs will work in ROS. I'll try to find some time to test them and submit bug reports, if necessary.

There must be a number of programmers in this forum. This should be a call to action for everyone not on the Dev team to test out any software they've written on ROS. Of course, tons of third-party software is already being tested, but the advantage of testing software that you wrote yourself is that you have the source code to figure out exactly what is failing, which could result in a more useful bug report.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I will write some Ecere SDK apps and see how they work
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

DOSGuy wrote:I've been a web programmer for so long that I had almost forgotten that I used to be an applications developer. Now I'm curious if my old programs will work in ROS. I'll try to find some time to test them and submit bug reports, if necessary.

There must be a number of programmers in this forum. This should be a call to action for everyone not on the Dev team to test out any software they've written on ROS. Of course, tons of third-party software is already being tested, but the advantage of testing software that you wrote yourself is that you have the source code to figure out exactly what is failing, which could result in a more useful bug report.
Valid point! Although I don't think it is impossible to find the bug even with "no-source-code-available" apps. It is just 10 times more diffucult to do the low level debugging and log trolling that is required to find the problem from the bottom up.

Another point that is possibly more valuable, you then already have the source code lines to do a simple unit test app!
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I have some sample/test programs written in Ecere SDK and a finished game written in GLBasic.

I will test both under ReactOS :D