Re: New Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

happy1460

Post by happy1460 »

Haos wrote:There should be a tool, bundled with ROS to customize each aspect of UI, including Start Menu.
Great ideal.
happy1460

Re: Multiple menu's

Post by happy1460 »

BPsoftware wrote:My opinion is that React OS shoul propose a lot of new StartMenu's:
When selecting Properties>StartMenu we should have this menu's:
Classic StartMenu (windows95 style, pretty easy and nice, I still use it)
XP start menu (the Windows XP menu)
Vista Start Menu
A React Menu (or maybe ReactMenu1)
ReactMenu2
ReactMenu3...
And then other option where users should be able to program their self a menu with a tool or with any programming language they want (just a .exe).

You think this is a good idea?
Now that would make everybody happy. I would pick the XP menu. And classic is good to have around also. But no Windows 7 menu. It's dumb down.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

happy1460 wrote:Now that would make everybody happy. (...) But no Windows 7 menu. It's dumb down.
Yeah, you are so tolerant!</irony>
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Code of conduct #5: do not revive threads that are years old.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

why not?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

They usually contain years old information that may be completely incorrect and irrelevant after a few years.
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

They usually contain years old information that may be completely incorrect and irrelevant after a few years.
But they also could contain useful information.
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If you want to debate the merits of the rule, do so in its own topic.
happy1460

Post by happy1460 »

Z98 wrote:Code of conduct #5: do not revive threads that are years old.
I don't know why you people have to get so smart. It's like you think you are better than us. Besides, it's been like over 15 years now. And ReactOS is still getting nowhere. Microsoft Windows is way ahead. They'll be on Windows 10 and ReactOS will still be at it. Gosh, I'll be dead by then. Gates just knows more about computers I guess. :|
happy1460

Post by happy1460 »

Black_Fox wrote:
happy1460 wrote:Now that would make everybody happy. (...) But no Windows 7 menu. It's dumb down.
Yeah, you are so tolerant!</irony>
I don't know what that means smart alect. But you are obviously a Windows 7 fanboy. And ReactOS doesn't need to be like Windows 7. It's already done, plus it's going to get updated for another 10 years. So Windows XP should be the reason for ReactOS being made.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Well, lets keep calm, in most forums that is a rule, also, do not forget that the dev team does not like those kind of comments since they're doing their best job. :)
Last edited by jonaspm on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happy1460

Post by happy1460 »

jonaspm wrote:Well, lets keep calm, in most forums that is a rule, also, do not forget that the dev team does not like those comments simce they're doing their best job.
Okay. I'm sorry. I'm just anxious for the official first release of ReactOS.
milon

Post by milon »

@happy1460, Dave3434, etc:
Jonaspm is right. If you want to comment on/about a years-old thread, I suggest making a new thread and posting a link to the old one. That way you can still reference anything useful (quote it, if there's not too much), but people don't have to read through all the old/incorrect stuff just to see what you want to say.

Happy1460, why don't you post a link to the old thread in post #1 of this thread?
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

happy1460 wrote: Okay. I'm sorry. I'm just anxious for the official first release of ReactOS.
Me too :D
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

happy1460 wrote:I don't know what that means smart alect. But you are obviously a Windows 7 fanboy. And ReactOS doesn't need to be like Windows 7. It's already done, plus it's going to get updated for another 10 years. So Windows XP should be the reason for ReactOS being made.
Mind you, if I were Windows 7 fanboy, I wouldn't be using Ubuntu and Android daily and ReactOS and Debian occasionally, especially I wouldn't be a forum regular having hundreds of posts on a project reimplementing Windows XP :-) But yes, in my opinion the Windows 7 Start menu is more useful than the Windows XP Start menu (if that makes me a fanboy, we'll have to find a new word to describe the actual fanboys). It's clear that ReactOS should implement the XP menu, I said nothing about that.