Windows 3.x interface

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

ppl might sound strange but what if we (the people that dont already program for reactos) start a team to design and code an entire shell, being a start menu, whereon can be right-clicked and then you can select Program Manager, and then the taskbar undocks from the bottom of the screen, and becomes the status bar of the program manager? anyone in for this? I mean i can program a bit but not in languages that are low resource eating and supported by reactos... if we succesfully do it it would also mean that the reactos ppl can focus on non-ui things if they want to. Anyone in?
-graey-
gnu_rocky

Ha Ha. Great idea!

Post by gnu_rocky »

Yep!

Good for nostaliga's sake! Hey man I love Windows 3.11. It was, next to the NT series, the most stable yet! :lol:

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Ha Ha. Great idea!

Post by Jaix »

gnu_rocky wrote:Yep!

Good for nostaliga's sake! Hey man I love Windows 3.11. It was, next to the NT series, the most stable yet! :lol:

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
Windows 3.11 wasn't stable, it was Windows NT 3.51 that was the first stable OS from MS.
gnu_rocky

Re: Ha Ha. Great idea!

Post by gnu_rocky »

Jaix wrote:
gnu_rocky wrote:Yep!

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
Windows 3.11 wasn't stable, it was Windows NT 3.51 that was the first stable OS from MS.
Im sorry! You are absolutely right!

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
Kutter9

Post by Kutter9 »

I't would be really great to have a win3.x style shell in reactos!
But on my opinion the program manager has some limitations that needs to be eliminated so that it would be more userfriendly. If somebody is making a 3.1 shell for reactos I would like it to have:

-Possibility to crate groups inside program groups and to crate short cuts directly to the program manager.
-Tray for minimized apps.
-Background image in program manager

What do you guys think about this?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sorry to rain on you idea a little. Code to create a Replication of the MDI in side Win 3.11 anyone.

Windows NT Windows 2000 and Windows XP even Windows 9X set has the wrong MDI code.

Ok I am not going to write the code to do this someone less step up to plate. Looks like we have a person Peter_123.

Without the dll with a Win3.11 style MDI it will never look right. Open up program manager on a 9x box and you will see what I mean. Exactly the same code as the windows 3.11 version complete differnet look and feel.

It the Mdi that lets closing of groups to icons.

Don't worry about the shell at first get the MDI working right. Best would be a MDI that is able to go inside itself. So groups would not be required and the start menu be rendered inside the Windows 3.11 style interface.
TOTMS

Win 3.1 GUI

Post by TOTMS »

Erm, i personally found the win3.1 system hideously restrictive and hard to work with. That is just me though. It depends on which path we take ROS. When work goes into the GUI, the decision needs to be taken whether to make skinning a core level property or to just allow themes (like in xp.) The former would be more interesting and allow for a better end result, but dont forget the aim of this project is totaly interoperability with windows NT programs. We may have to stick with the windows xp system for the time being. Once it works flawlessly maybe think about adding extensions?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi all
I know it's not quite what your looking for but since a Win3.1-GUI is probably not of top most priority you might want to try to get Windowblinds to run on ReactOS. (haven't tried it yet and I doubt it will work...)

nevertheless, that's how it could look...
http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx? ... dows%203.1
no it does not work
Erm, i personally found the win3.1 system hideously restrictive and hard to work with. That is just me
i am 19 and i like win3.11
hard to work with
yes

for some cool info on windows look at this http://www.vintageos.com/windows/

he is a bit off for the floppies number for 3.11 and 3.11 for Workgroups
6 floppies for 3.11; 9 floppies for Workgroups
3.11 and 3.11 for Workgroups have 6 floppies
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

O please dont make program manager the main gui.

Stick with the explorer win9X style.

As for all you that are stuck in the early 90's im sure you can get a copy of program manager and winfile off of the decaying disks downstairs.

And just for the note Win98 was most stable, it crashed twice and that was mostly my fault, was visiting unsecure websites.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Oh come on... cool people use MOTIF :) 8)
Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz »

I like motif. it works exactly like Windows 3.x (which is quite the same as win95 and later, minus the cross to kill the window), with added goodies : ALT-F9, ALT-F10 and ALT-F5 for minimise, maximise, restore.

I still frequently close windows by double clicking on the top left icon ;)

and, I'd love to have these hotkeys in windows or reactos, why did MS not keep them when they ripped off Motif for their Windows 3.0, they're so damn useful.
Kutter9

Post by Kutter9 »

I never meant and I think neither did anybody else that program manager should be the main gui.
But it would be nice optional add-on for us who are stuck in the days of dos/win3x :P
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Kutter9 wrote:

I never meant and I think neither did anybody else that program manager should be the main gui.
But it would be nice optional add-on for us who are stuck in the days of dos/win3x :P
The current Explorer GUI looks like a combination of the WinFile (from Win 3.x / WinNT 3.x) and the Win95 Explorer.

The very old program manager from Win 1, Win 2 and Win 3.x is really outdated in the user interface term of view.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

GreatLord wrote:Microsoft did ship windows 95 with Progman.exe and winfile.exe, But u need to found it at windows/system if I rember right.
Actually, during Windows 95 setup, you had the option of using the Windows 95 interface, or using the Windows 3.1 interface. I never tried it, but there is a list of computer settings during Windows 95 installation. These include Keyboard, Language, etc.. Then, at the end of the list, is "Interface", from which you can select "Windows 95", or "Windows 3.1 (Program Manager)", or something like that.

Just a question; Why in the world are we posting to a 6-month old topic??
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi Windows 3.1/95/98/2k interface are beter than the xp one
Just a question; Why in the world are we posting to a 6-month old topic??
so what if this is a 6-month old topic