Microsoft buys ReactOS? ...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin

Microsoft buys ReactOS? ...

Post by laurflorin »

http://tightwadtechnica.com/?p=5898

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/51827

I have stumbled upon these... does anyone have any idea what this is
all about?
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
Shade

Re: Microsoft buys ReactOS? ...

Post by Shade »

4/1/2011
You may want to check the date of those articles.
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

I have seen the date. I was just curious why such
things have been written when it's clear that the
project is still up and running and those statements
are false.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Your country does not celebrate April Fool's?
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

Indeed it does. :)
I guess that in this case, several websites have had the same
idea of a joke.
turtleman

Post by turtleman »

AHAHAHA I was so confused >.<

It's the type of PR excuse Microsoft would make for doing such an obviously ill-willed act.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

$12.3 billion? How do I buy shares in the ReactOS Foundation for when this comes true?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Why would they buy an incomplete reverse engineered version of their own system?
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

To eliminate the competition. However, we all know from The Simpsons that they actually just send a bunch of goons to wreck your office when they offer to buy you out. Bill Gates "didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks."
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

LOL! I know this is OT, but it reminds me of an episode of Adventures in Odyssey, a children's radio drama. Bernard the window washer told an outlandish story. He said that Connie and Eugene (who always fight like cats and dogs) were making out in the shop. He said Mr. Whitaker, who was known for good advice had told a girl who wanted her ears pierced against her parents' wishes to do it herself. He said that Detective Doyle finally solved his first case. Then he go weirder and told of a special knockout perfume and the bad guys and so on. Then Mr. Whitaker walked into the middle of the tale and Bernard left saying the only thing he had left to say was "I slap floor." The kids asked Mr. Whitaker what he meant, and he told them they should unscramble it. And the announcer, Chris Anthony as she concluded said that if the listeners needed any more hints, that episode was first aired on 4-1 of whatever year. That cryptic phrase contains all the letters to spell April Fools. (Oh, and speaking of spellings, there is a brand of bottled water in the US by the name of Evian. That is funny in that they are insulting everyone who buys it - just spell it backwards, and that is probably what the customers are - Naive.)

I was about to be taken by the article, but then I noticed the date before even looking here.
saying instead that the move was meant to "protect Microsoft customers" who mistaking ReactOS for the real thing, might encounter problems. "We wanted to make sure that we could protect our customers' investment in their IT infrastructure. We wanted to make sure that if they installed ReactOS, they could count on the same level of quality and support that they currently enjoy with Microsoft Windows."
LOL! Sounds like a subtle jab at Microsoft. The same level of quality? The same level of quality as 98 or ME? No thanks, I don't want ReactOS to degrade to that. ;-) Seriously, it would be nice if we were as stable as 2000 or anything else from there and before Windows 8. I sometimes get blue screen on 7, but that is usually after running for several week straight. Now if there are memory leaks, I usually close and reopen one of the browsers, since that is where the leaks usually are. So relatively speaking, 7 is pretty stable.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Falling for an april fools joke from 2 years ago... :|
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Pesho wrote:Falling for an april fools joke from 2 years ago... :|
Priceless? :lol:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

PurpleGurl wrote: (Oh, and speaking of spellings, there is a brand of bottled water in the US by the name of Evian. That is funny in that they are insulting everyone who buys it - just spell it backwards, and that is probably what the customers are - Naive.)
And there is Evian Water Spray 10 oz. — $18.49. “I know it might be just water, but I love it!”
PurpleGurl

Re:

Post by PurpleGurl »

hto wrote:And there is Evian Water Spray 10 oz. — $18.49. “I know it might be just water, but I love it!”
LOL! I think it contains dihydrogen monoxide... ;-) That is like the prank law people have tried to pass in several places. In one state, it passed their legislature until the lawmakers were told they were all had. The pranksters would lobby their state legislators saying that dihydrogen monoxide was a very dangerous substance that should be banned. Their list might look like this:

1. Dihydrogen monoxide is the leading cause of scalding-related injuries.
2. It is a major contributor to slips and falls.
3. It is used in the manufacture and use of illegal drugs.
4. It is used in many homicides and suicides.
5. It is the main cause of drowning.
6. It is a major component in unhealthy beverages.
7. It can cause intoxication and delirium in high enough doses.
8. It is very addictive, and people have been known to fight and kill over it.
9. It is the leading cause of flooding.

So who wouldn't want to ban such a dangerous chemical? However, before anyone gets too hasty and decides it should be banned, dihydrogen monoxide is another name for water. Yes, the lawmakers in one state (California, I think) were suckered into banning water. LOL!
hbelusca
Developer

Re:

Post by hbelusca »

hto wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote: (Oh, and speaking of spellings, there is a brand of bottled water in the US by the name of Evian. That is funny in that they are insulting everyone who buys it - just spell it backwards, and that is probably what the customers are - Naive.)
And there is Evian Water Spray 10 oz. — $18.49. “I know it might be just water, but I love it!”
Knowing that "Evian" is the name of a French town where one extracts water from sources...