Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Witch

Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

Hi ReactOS devs,
can I get some help with adding Na'vi to the muilanguages.h file?

The content is too technical and complicated for me to understand what needs to be inserted for my language.
If there are answers that needs to be listed then list the questions for me, because I don't know the questions? Give me the questions and I will find the proper answers for you.

Help please! :P

http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... anguages.h

[ external image ]
Last edited by Witch on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

First, there is a number of #include "lang/xx-XX.h" directives, which include translation files from lang subdirectory. Each file name is constructed from ISO language code and country code.

Then goes a table. The 1st column is MS locale ID (Wine has more). Columns 2-4 are code pages (since Na'vi uses Latin alphabet, you can use 1252/850/10000, which seem to have all necessary diacritics). The 6th is GeoID/calling code.
Witch

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

So can I start working with this file?
Or do I need permission first from a ReactOS dev and the Wine community?

Because me and Wine community is like oil and water nothing I say to them gets through.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

These files do not depend on Wine in any way.

I could add it to ReactOS, but how can I check that it's a real translation?
Witch

Re:

Post by Witch »

Hi hto yes it would be great if you could add Na'vi to that file for me because I didn't understand half of the tips you gave me in previous post. :P

Step 2
hto wrote:I could add it to ReactOS, but how can I check that it's a real translation?
You would have to check the user activity for each translation file that is submitted. Which I intended to document here if there would be a ReactOS Na'vi sub-forum for tracing back which people were involved for each rc-file translation.

But since it's forbidden to have a Na'vi sub-forum here on ReactOS I will have to get discussions going on at http://forum.learnnavi.org/ first to see if they want to create that sub-forum for me to document which people were involved for each rc-file.

My third and least preferable option would be to use my own website forum to document things. But if I have to do it then I will. The problem is figuring out how to persuade the Na'vi translators to transfer their avatars to the specified forum of these 3 options.

Step 1
But the above question isn't fully worked out yet I need to have more discussions with the Na'vi first.
All I need right now is for this file to be updated with a Na'vi language option. Then I can kick start the proper wheels and wing it from there... ;)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This is pointless. WINE would never accept such localisation and i think this is they best reason why we should neither.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Haos wrote:This is pointless. WINE would never accept such localisation and i think this is they best reason why we should neither.
Maybe Wine would accept it when they see somebody else do it differently?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

With all my experience regarding WINE from all those years i`m around here, i can assure you that it wont happen.

What else, what do you expect us to do with winesynced modules? Leave them untranslated or maintain them on our own??
Witch

Post by Witch »

Na'vi people just want to have Na'vi fun on the surface when using the Desktop.
All that important under the hood files I would prefer to be untouched as en-US.rc. Translating everything into Na'vi would be crazy even for my taste.

Only the superficial stuff like Paint, Calculator, IE and such ordinary daily applications.

And if something is Wine dependent then I just let it remain in English and don't bother to translate it at all. Having only 60-70% of it all in Na'vi is all it takes to create the illusion of a fully translated Na'vi operating system.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Witch, if you really want to do this big task show us your interest by:
1)Sending a patch with a lot of Rc files translated to our Bugzilla
If you show real interest to translate to Na'vi, if you show real work, then you will be closer to have a Na'vi subforum.
Even more, if you are able to convince 10 other guys to create Na'vi patches and sending them to our Bugzilla..Then,I will take care personally about pushing harder this crazy-funny-lovely idea forward ;).
I am not a big one inside the ReactOS Team but at least I have some voice there ;).
If you want your sub-forum:Work in your dream and it will become true!
Witch

Post by Witch »

Then the very first step towards those criterias is I need help by hto or somebody else who can add Na'vi to the First_stage_Install screen. Because I don't know how to do that part.

So that I can see which files I can work with initially together with the Na'vis and sort them properly for future documentations.
Last edited by Witch on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Witch wrote:Then the very first step towards those criterias is I need help by hto or somebody else who can add Na'vi to the First_stage_Install screen.
Nope.The very first step is to send .rc files translated to Na'vi to ReactOS Bugzilla. After you have sent them hto or myself will help you to create a patch to add the new language to the ReactOS setup.
You can translate them yourself, you can hire a team of Na'viz guys, or whatever, but without translations there is no way to push this into.
This is the standard way to add a new language into our setup, and the same is required to "fictional" ones.
As you can imagine noone will support the inclusion of a fictional language to our setup if there are no translations to commit. :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I am going to make this very clear, there is very little interest amongst the devs to include a fictional language in ROS.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:I am going to make this very clear, there is very little interest amongst the devs to include a fictional language in ROS.
We can discuss that in the next ReactOS meeting really ;)
I can give more than 3 reasons about Why Na'vi is better than having some of the current languages in the Setup.
I can't find one, good enough( having ros-diffs and "roswine" svn ), to prevent a new feature going into.
But of course some Na'vi translations are needed to backup these reasons.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Witch wrote: Then the very first step towards those criterias is I need help by hto or somebody else who can add Na'vi to the First_stage_Install screen. Because I don't know how to do that part.
Well… simply take en-US.h and translate it, and I will add necessary stuff to muilanguages.h and commit into the repository, for the fun of it.

I'm still a bit sceptical about all this endeavour. If it will be just a few poor unmaintained .rc files which eventually start to rot, then it does not make very much sense to add them. If it's a serious undertaking, then prove somehow that it's serious.