Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

igorko

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

Witch wrote: I doubt that simply adding Na'vi in the ReactOS language Wiki page will automatically create a Na'vi option in the source code.
Not to wiki but to source code. Remember, file called muilanguages.h?
First of all get source code. Without having it you are just wasting your and our time.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

So what good will a Na'vi translation give us again?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Lone_Rifle wrote: So what good will a Na'vi translation give us again?
Publicity. vicmarcal knows 2 other reasons.
Witch wrote: If I don't have a Na'vi language to select from on First_Stage_Install then how am I supposed to re-compile and re-build the source code into a fresh .iso file. So that I can re-install ReactOS and verify that my translation didn't break anything?
Start translating en-US.h
If I'm only supposed to blindly translate files without testing that things didn't break then how many rc-translation files do you want in each patch?
Begin with one file.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Note that if we ever get to the point where there is actually something to commit, I'm going to be asking that we address the issue of whether fictional languages should be included in ROS at a team meeting. Expect a fairly strong stance against it from me.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Lone_Rifle wrote:So what good will a Na'vi translation give us again?
My primary goal with working on Na'vi translation is to create shock value or free shock advertising to be exact at no monetary cost. Time and energy will be spent true but if you don't have that kind of money then this is the next best option.

So my primary goal is to attract the eyes of all kinds of programmers from around the world. And hopefully increase the current amount of developers.

What happens when ReactOS is used in the movie Avatar 2 (2014) for a brief moment as cameo appearance. Isn't that like advertising written in stone? Isn't that worth something or should things only be done the traditional way like all other open source OS has done things?

Z98 wrote:Note that if we ever get to the point where there is actually something to commit, I'm going to be asking that we address the issue of whether fictional languages should be included in ROS at a team meeting. Expect a fairly strong stance against it from me.
Hey I understand that you don't want to open the gates to ROS source code by all these potential fictional languages because of all the time and energy that would be locked solely to maintenance instead of creation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_ ... rnal_links

Well I don't have anything pro or con to say about opening the gates to that issue yet....
Or when Na'vi is finished you could always say that if a fictional language doesn't at least meet all the criterias that Na'vi has then they are not allowed to be included. You set the criterias however you want to keep bad stuff away from ReactOS source code.

All I'm focused on is the primary goal creating shock value. And in the process include an another kind of fanbase that don't usually hang out at highly technical places on the Internet. To increase the social circle beyond the usual crowd.
From this you gain the true power of word of mouth advertising.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Ok, we had some laugh, now getting back to reality.

Navi is a fictional language, as you mentioned. Even with a strong stance, supporting such unusual localistation, there are problems that cannot be avoided.
It is not listed in any ISO. Adding it could introduce strange compatibility issues, as many apps might now be supporting a nonexistant fanmade language.
If you want to go on, please fork or distro ReactOS, adding your work, but you need to expect some serious opposition from within the team.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Witch wrote:
My primary goal with working on Na'vi translation is to create shock value or free shock advertising to be exact at no monetary cost. Time and energy will be spent true but if you don't have that kind of money then this is the next best option.
So if the goal is shock value or shock advertising as opposed to having a real functional purpose, it doesn't have to be an accurate translation, right? Have you weighed the costs against the benefits?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Haos wrote: It is not listed in any ISO. Adding it could introduce strange compatibility issues, as many apps might now be supporting a nonexistant fanmade language.
I think this is not a real problem.
Apps checks the ISO to install the app in the proper language but in case it doesnt match with a supported one the app uses a default one,usually English(or German as lately I've seen)
Following the same reasoning, an user which installs Windows in Sutu language(non fictional, ISO: sx ) will have incompatibilities with apps not supporting it(as most aren't translated to this specific language)
Are there more Sutu followers or Na'vi ones?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Unless it expects language to be on ISO list. We had a strange problem back in my Agency, when app was faulting on xml report marked from Taiwan. Our goal should be strict MS Windows 2003 compatibility. Unless Windows starts Navi localisation, i am against such venture in official ROS at least.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
Witch wrote:
So if the goal is shock value or shock advertising as opposed to having a real functional purpose, it doesn't have to be an accurate translation, right? Have you weighed the costs against the benefits?
Accuracy
No it doesn't have to be an accurate translation. You only need to translate 60-70% of what Desktop users see on the screen, to create the illusion of a fully Na'vi translated operating system.

Costs against benefits
I don't know how to work on a developer level or have svn commit access understanding, so I don't know what factors that needs to be included when calculating the costs against the benefits. If somebody could list and explain those factors to me, then I could see if I have weighted things right or wrong?

All I know is there are tons of really technical people around me, around the world and they haven't even heard of ReactOS. To me that's a loss if they would participate then ReactOS would have more programmers.

So to fix that problem this is the only approach I could think of.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I am afraid that IT/technical people we would like to attract to our project have in vast majority supported Human over Na'avi in Avatar.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Witch wrote: I don't know how to work on a developer level or have svn commit access understanding, so I don't know what factors that needs to be included when calculating the costs against the benefits. If somebody could list and explain those factors to me, then I could see if I have weighted things right or wrong?
It doesn't require much efforts, the difficulties are exaggerated if not trumped up.
milon

Post by milon »

Hey Witch, what about doing a fork like Haos suggested? You could even overwrite an existing language like English or French or something with Na'vi. That gets you around the technical difficulties on your end, and it wouldn't cause any software incompatibilities either. That makes it easier to get a Na'vi ReactOS launched.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

How many people do you actually expect to get the attention of with this translation? Do you really think people that matter are easily influenced by shock factor? I seriously think that this is an absurd idea, at best, and that you should better spend your efforts on other ideas.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Adding a new language to Reactos explorer/Tasbar/StartMenu/Paint/Cmd/Ftp/Solitaire/ is just adding a new .rc file as they are our own apps.That's all the required work
About shell32 we can create a diff of the RC file (as we do with some other diffs).Iirc,hto maybe can confirm this, we add several language diffs at release time as the Japanese/ Chinese fonts.

Imho adding Navi is harmless, there isnt too much effort and it could be a nice viral if managed correctly. ;)

The "Windows doesnt have it" statement is too weak: We are not talking about adding a new feature that an en-EN will see if he chooses installing ReactOS in his language. But a feature for those who selects installing Navi at Startup.
In the other hand: We have multidesktop in all the languages.Let's kill that feature now as it is not in Windows ;).Or let's be Enterprise oriented instead User oriented as MS has been for years.
Imo, the main difference comparing ReactOS and Windows is the opensource,free,community oriented product.That means evolving with the community,and growing with it.

Maybe I am one of those who believes in the " Windows doesnt have it" statement when it affect directly the compatibility with apps, but I believe in the "Differentiation:Creating our own feel&sense" instead being a total copy when possible( ie : Multidesktop or a new explorer with 2 treeviews or multitabbed ).

Where is now the "We accept patches(Tm)"?

Adding a new language is just a small wink to the Community,not a big effort, that doesnt break apps, and a good PR movement in 2 different areas:
-Community: "If you want a new feature to be included..be sure it doesnt break apps && we accept patches(TM)".

-Outsiders: PR movement. It's not about attracting Na'vis but a media PR shocking-funny new. You will have curious guys installing ReactOS just for fun to see the Na'vi language. It's more about "we are geeks and we can push crazy-harmless ideas(under some restrictions)".

This is my pov :)