Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Haos »

You should first gather "Na'vi people"... right now we only hear about it from you.
Witch wrote:Na'vi people just want to have Na'vi fun on the surface when using the Desktop.
All that important under the hood files I would prefer to be untouched as en-US.rc. Translating everything into Na'vi would be crazy even for my taste.

Only the superficial stuff like Paint, Calculator, IE and such ordinary daily applications.

And if something is Wine dependent then I just let it remain in English and don't bother to translate it at all. Having only 60-70% of it all in Na'vi is all it takes to create the illusion of a fully translated Na'vi operating system.

ThePhysicist
Developer
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by ThePhysicist »

Witch,

I do not know who you represent, but all Na'vi people I know, including major representatives, spoke English very well and said that a translation to Na'vi would be pointless, since most technical terms couldn't be translated properly anyway. Therefore an integration of any Na'vi translation into official reactos sources is about as likely as Easter and Christmas at the same day.

But since ReactOS is open source you are free to create a Na'vi distribution.

Regards,
Timo

igorko
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

ReacTOS uses a LOT of WIne code. Speak with WIne guys first. because if WIne will not include Na'vi. ReactOS can't be translated. And forking resources is bad idea. So convince Wine devs first that we need Na'vi ;) But IMHO translating into fictional language which is not used by people is useless...

And if you want (as was said in previous post) make your translation anyway(avoiding changes to WIne) i can consult you(I have translated ReactOS fully in my native language). Just ping me on our IRC channel. But you will need to learn a little about building OS by youself(i can help too).

hto
Developer
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Post by hto »

It is not necessary to have a "go-ahead" from Wine. The idea itself is good.

User avatar
EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by EmuandCo »

As already said, we just need to be sure that it wont die and outdate after a while. Adding our own rc files to wine modules is lame and easy.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

vicmarcal wrote:
Witch wrote:Then the very first step towards those criterias is I need help by hto or somebody else who can add Na'vi to the First_stage_Install screen.
Nope.The very first step is to send .rc files translated to Na'vi to ReactOS Bugzilla. After you have sent them hto or myself will help you to create a patch to add the new language to the ReactOS setup.
You can translate them yourself, you can hire a team of Na'viz guys, or whatever, but without translations there is no way to push this into.
This is the standard way to add a new language into our setup, and the same is required to "fictional" ones.
As you can imagine noone will support the inclusion of a fictional language to our setup if there are no translations to commit. :)
hto wrote:
Witch wrote: Then the very first step towards those criterias is I need help by hto or somebody else who can add Na'vi to the First_stage_Install screen. Because I don't know how to do that part.
Well… simply take en-US.h and translate it, and I will add necessary stuff to muilanguages.h and commit into the repository, for the fun of it.

I'm still a bit sceptical about all this endeavour. If it will be just a few poor unmaintained .rc files which eventually start to rot, then it does not make very much sense to add them. If it's a serious undertaking, then prove somehow that it's serious.
ReactOS Bugzilla
I can send patches of Na'vi translated rc-files to Bugzilla! But I have a few more questions that needs to be answered before I can begin.



Re-building and Verification

1.) Breaking things
If I don't have a Na'vi language to select from on First_Stage_Install then how am I supposed to re-compile and re-build the source code into a fresh .iso file. So that I can re-install ReactOS and verify that my translation didn't break anything?

2.) Verification
Isn't re-compiling, re-building, re-installation and verification part of the translator's job description?

3.) Debugging
If I'm only supposed to blindly translate files without testing that things didn't break then how many rc-translation files do you want in each patch? I mean if I send a patch containing 100 rc files compared to sending 1 rc file per patch doesn't that make code debugging and troubleshooting 100 times harder?

igorko
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

That's why i told you will need to build it yourself. Stop discussing and go ahead!!!

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

Please hold...

I have answers to all your questions but I don't want this thread to digress too much from my main questions before they have been resolved first.

So please hold and I will present explanations for each and everyone of you.
Haos wrote:You should first gather "Na'vi people"... right now we only hear about it from you.
ThePhysicist wrote:Witch,

I do not know who you represent, but all Na'vi people I know, including major representatives, spoke English very well and said that a translation to Na'vi would be pointless, since most technical terms couldn't be translated properly anyway. Therefore an integration of any Na'vi translation into official reactos sources is about as likely as Easter and Christmas at the same day.

But since ReactOS is open source you are free to create a Na'vi distribution.

Regards,
Timo
igorko wrote:ReacTOS uses a LOT of WIne code. Speak with WIne guys first. because if WIne will not include Na'vi. ReactOS can't be translated. And forking resources is bad idea. So convince Wine devs first that we need Na'vi ;) But IMHO translating into fictional language which is not used by people is useless...

And if you want (as was said in previous post) make your translation anyway(avoiding changes to WIne) i can consult you(I have translated ReactOS fully in my native language). Just ping me on our IRC channel. But you will need to learn a little about building OS by youself(i can help too).

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

igorko wrote:That's why i told you will need to build it yourself. Stop discussing and go ahead!!!
I only know how to work with rc-files and build them when there is an existing language option to choose from.

What you tell me to do creates a lot of blanks that I don't understand yet. That's why I asked the questions above and needs to be answered before I can just build it myself.

The only way I can do as you say is to use some other country's existing files and translate them into Na'vi and then commit guy comes back to me and tells me that I need to change this line into the appropriate Na'vi line.

Code: Select all

LANGUAGE LANG_SWEDISH, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL
It's the initial setups that's stopping me from starting the translation process with the Na'vi people.

igorko
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

I've already told. Go to our IRC channel. This is not forum discussion. #reactos on freenode

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

If my questions are answered once here then it is documented for eternity. And 1000 people after me asking the same questions can find it here. Instead of having 1000 people in the future asking the same questions on IRC.

How is that bad forum discussion? What you write in forums can work like FAQs. What you write on IRC is harder to "cement in stone" and harder for future people to google it.

igorko
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

All you need is already written in our Wiki. You need just to find and read it.

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Translation_Introduction
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/RC_File_Standards
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Subversion
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Build_Environment
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Building_ReactOS
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Building_Modules

About setup screen: read first hto comment. Watch file reactos\base\setup\usetup\muilanguages.h

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

That's why I created this thread. When reading the Wiki my poor understanding tells me that I need to add Na'vi into this file before I can work like I'm accustomed to.

Code: Select all

muilanguages.h
But I'm not allowed to do it that way because people say:

* Na'vi isn't a real language,
* There is no Na'vi people that shows up besides me,
* There is no existing Na'vi translations,
* There are doubts about maintaining this language,
* etc. etc.

That's why I ask these questions on the forum because I don't understand how to use the information in the Wiki in a practical way. I'm sorry if I don't understand the Wiki on the same level as you but I can't help it that I don't understand it as well as you.

igorko
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by igorko »

OS also doesn't know such language. You just need to tell it that Na'vi language does exist(by adding it to the list). tell it what alphabet does it use etc etc.
Witch wrote: There are doubts about maintaining this language,
Yep because nooone except you does need this. So all is only in your hands.

Oh and... are you sure there will be enough words in Na'vi to translate OS fully?

Witch
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Help with adding Na'vi to muilanguages.h file?

Post by Witch »

igorko wrote:OS also doesn't know such language. You just need to tell it that Na'vi language does exist(by adding it to the list). tell it what alphabet does it use etc etc.
Witch wrote: There are doubts about maintaining this language,
Yep because nooone except you does need this. So all is only in your hands.
I doubt that simply adding Na'vi in the ReactOS language Wiki page will automatically create a Na'vi option in the source code. I first have to ask the big bosses at ReactOS for permission first which I used this forum to do instead of IRC because then it is better documented.

It is all in my hands because I can't create proof until I get to start working on this. All my time has been tied up these couple of weeks to answering questions and peoples worries.



Please hold...
igorko wrote: Oh and... are you sure there will be enough words in Na'vi to translate OS fully?
ThePhysicist asked a similar question earlier which I put on the "Please hold..." list.
I will give you and ThePhysicist my full explanation to this later. Because I want to avoid multiple digressing conversations in this thread.

Right now I just want to solve one problem what this thread started with which is still unresolved.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests