I want a Na'vi language sub-forum!

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

naums

Re: I want a Na'vi language sub-forum!

Post by naums » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:42 pm

it seems the Polish, the German and Italian are the only active languages. Are there any other? Well, as far as I saw the translations of Newsletter 88 there are none, or I haven't watched close enough.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 pm

[…] or I haven't watched close enough.
There are German, Polish, Russian translations of that newsletter

Witch

Post by Witch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:28 pm

milon wrote:I feel like I'm missing something. The overall plan seems to be "find other people to do it for me". Was/is your plan to co-ordinate the effort with the learn navi folks so you handle the code & they only see (un)translated text? Is there something else? Still curious.
Intro
When I first tried translating in Swedish and doing all that compile, verify results, submit patch procedures. There was only one other Swedish translator active, but he was too busy with real life so I was practically alone.

I asked him and other translators questions about how I can know when some translation file is 100% finished or not.
The answers seemed to tell that you can never be 100% finished with a translation file.
And this cycle will repeat itself forever once I give up and some other Swedish translator comes after me in the future likely working alone when dealing with minority languages.

The main idea: produce 80-90% translation accuracy from day one.
  • Since I don't know Na'vi it's better that I have 5-10 Na'vi rookie linguists working on each file at the same time. Instead of me blindly using the online Na'vi translator like google translate. And distort the translation with an inaccurate "google translate" method.
  • If you have 5-10 translator working on each translation file at the same time then you can confidently say that it has been proofread by 5-10 translator and will have 80-90% translation accuracy from day one.
This will hopefully result in much lesser patrolling time on the ReactOS svn trunk when it comes to overall translations. Not only for Na'vi but for all languages. But I can't know for sure if I don't get to experiment with this....

The situation still remains as TheoryCrafting if I can't start experimenting. :(

Witch

Post by Witch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Lone_Rifle wrote:No.
Could you perhaps be more specific what you are saying no to?

* No to creating Na'vi language sub-forum or?
* No to even experiment with things?

Because I can deal with lack of language sub-forum but if it's no to even start to experiment then I guess this will remain a dead project.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 am

Yes, I think that's pretty much to the point. I like clear and unambiguous statements.

Webunny

Post by Webunny » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 am

ThePhysicist wrote:
Yes, I think that's pretty much to the point. I like clear and unambiguous statements.

Ah...I dunno. There is nothing inherently wrong in providing Klingon or Navi translations. Sure, it's not 'hard core' and more of a side thingy for fun, but all in all: why not? The only real question is whether we should invest any trouble in it or not (aka, if he's serious enough or not). I would suggest that, if he shows actual work (translating a considerable amount of pages) and proves he is actual serious about it, to let him do it and possibly have a subforum.

In the end, it's delivering that counts.

Witch

Post by Witch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Status is I need to learn Python to make a more permanent solution for the Na'vi linguists. How long that will take depends on how well the Django support and documentations are which will decide how fast or slow my learning curve will be.

It could take 6 months, 2 years or maybe 10 years for me to get Python/Django well enough to control what I'm doing.
So I don't think that I could incorporate this PR stunt into the "ReactOS Fundraising Campaign 2012" within this year.