I want a Na'vi language sub-forum!

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: I want a Na'vi language sub-forum!

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 am

No objections against that from me
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Er, I'd actually prefer the wiki NOT be used for this.

Witch

Post by Witch » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:47 pm

EmuandCo wrote:No na'vi in here and btw, not in then japanese forum too. I wanted tom add Klingon too, but keep it private. We support real languages here
I realize that but when you want to create worldwide publicity for ReactOS for free with your own two hands. Then sometimes crazy publicity stunts are needed to accomplish that goal.

Not everybody has access to a president and get on the news channel on TV to PR ReactOS.

PS.
I have other means to create a storing point for Na'vi language. I just thought that the ReactOS devs would like some kind of validation system that can be traced back in time to check that things got translated properly.
Since the translation would be like reading encrypted text messages to most people even Na'vi regulars when the first translation has been created.

(wiki doesn't work like that according to my system, only forums do.)

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 am

You talk about the language of these blue aliens or something real? If its real, then we support it, if windows does
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 am

EmuandCo wrote:You talk about the language of these blue aliens or something real? If its real, then we support it, if windows does
http://www.learnnavi.org/
*cough*

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:25 am

Witch, personally I think this is an interesting project. It certainly would be interesting to show off ReactOS translated in to some fictional language, and if you are really serious about it I think you would learn quite a bit about translation issues in a complicated Operating System and could then perhaps go on to do even greater things in that area one day.

I don't think I have ever seen translation work of any significant kind discussed directly on the forums or the Wiki. If that is the way you want to collaborate with your fellow Na'vi speakers I think you will need to get some web space of your own with pre-packaged forum/wiki or whatever tools you need. If there are really enough fans of this language perhaps they would let you share some space somewhere. You would have to maintain your own ReactOS local builds and maintain sets of patches to apply against newer versions.

At the end of the day this is not something Windows does and there is no real-world need for this, so the ReactOS project would never accept such patches or provide resources for this. But the nice thing about open source is people are free to create their own customizations even when someone else says "no".

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:51 pm

SomeGuy wrote:
At the end of the day this is not something Windows does and there is no real-world need for this, so the ReactOS project would never accept such patches or provide resources for this. But the nice thing about open source is people are free to create their own customizations even when someone else says "no".
Why not?
I mean, I wont be against having a new language as Klingon or Na'vi in the OS.
Adding a new language is not resource eating(it will take just some KB) and ReactOS is mainly Community oriented and opened to Community suggestions.
So if he provides patches and translations for the Na'vi language, I would push for its inclusion. It won't hurt in anyway.
In the other hand our actual Wiki is just English (it is not multilingual) so Klingon in the wiki is not accepted(as neither Spanish or French).
A new language SubForum must have enough followers, for now we have just one Na'vi speaker.
He is following the main mantra: "Patches accepted TM"

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

and next, my droogs< we will open a nadsat forum too, righty right? :lol:

preston
Developer

Post by preston » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm

It's not true that adding a new language isn't not a "resource eating" (to quote vicmarcal). Someone has to maintain that language, keep it in sync with the other resources, commit updates etc. Also don't forget we share a huge portion of code with the Wine project. So if you ever want to see Esperanto, Klingon or whatever in ReactOS, you will have to convince Wine first. Make them add your desired language and it will automagically pop up in ReactOS sooner or later. If they say no, tough luck.

Witch

Post by Witch » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 pm

"Resource eating"
preston wrote:It's not true that adding a new language isn't not a "resource eating" (to quote vicmarcal). Someone has to maintain that language, keep it in sync with the other resources, commit updates etc.
I can make it so that nobody have to maintain that language on a regular basis. I will make sure that things get so well translated from day one that maintenance will only be required every 30 years or so when I've processed 100% of the translatable language files. I got one kickass system that will take care of that. :) If I'm only allowed to get started then I can show you what I mean.

Wine project
preston wrote: Also don't forget we share a huge portion of code with the Wine project. So if you ever want to see Esperanto, Klingon or whatever in ReactOS, you will have to convince Wine first. Make them add your desired language and it will automagically pop up in ReactOS sooner or later. If they say no, tough luck.
That won't be easy I've already had a thermonuclear fight with the Wine administrators before I joined ReactOS in 2008. If things would've worked smooth between me and Wine from the start then I would never had found my way to ReactOS.

The Wine community are old decadent vampires that has no understanding for how the new generation wants to interact on the Internet. Because of this small meaningless thing Wine and me will never make peace with each other.
(I'm not the stubborn one on this matter Wine is, see for yourselves if you don't believe me.)

Thinking 4th dimensionally
EmuandCo wrote:You talk about the language of these blue aliens or something real? If its real, then we support it, if windows does
Hey man you are just not thinking 4th dimensionally! Let's not just see this from a practical and technical perspective. See this also from a PR perspective.

If doing Klingon on ReactOS would result in ReactOS being the first OS in the world to incorporate that then I would've chosen Klingon. But because of this ReactOS will always be #2 no matter how much better the work is compared to #1.
source: the first klingon operating system
In 1996, Linux was the first operating system in the world to add support for the artificial language Klingon,
If ReactOS wait until Windows is #1 on Na'vi then ReactOS will just be a measly #2 in everybody's eyes.
Why does ReactOS always has to wait until somebody else does something first before ReactOS dares to take the leap of faith?
Why does ReactOS always has to be some copycat?
Why does ReactOS always has to ask some other organization what we can or cannot do?
Why does ReactOS always has to stand in somebody else's shadow?

I don't understand? ReactOS have a once in a lifetime chance for priceless PR free of cost yet it wants to see what Windows will do... :(

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 am

I can make it so that nobody have to maintain that language on a regular basis. I will make sure that things get so well translated from day one that maintenance will only be required every 30 years or so when I've processed 100% of the translatable language files. I got one kickass system that will take care of that. :) If I'm only allowed to get started then I can show you what I mean.
If it is for real, then I agree to take care of the technical things.

Witch

Post by Witch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 am

Yes for real it will be awesome!

It will free up much needed resources from other languages as well in the future. Letting less technical people take care of the translation maintenance and letting more technical people concentrate on learning the heavier stuff in regards to develop operating systems.

It's kickass I promise, I discovered that when I sent my first translation patches. There is one big whole in the translation work process that needs to be fixed.

milon

Post by milon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 am

Can you give the uninformed more information about this awesome translation process? I've looked at translation from a technical standpoint before (one of my own side projects) and it seemed like nothing but headaches.

Witch

Post by Witch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:47 am

Mmm... it's hard to describe with words. Let me just show you how I would do it then you can copy it and perfect it to more professional needs. I'm just good with organizing files, nothing special really!

But right now I'm stuck at step 2 and 3 because of the red tapes from all directions.
And also the Wine part that I didn't account for in the beginning that might shutdown this thing in one hit.

Wakoyantanke's TODO list
My todo list to make this operation work most efficent.
  1. Find 5-10 interested Na'vi translators on "forum.learnnavi.org"
  2. DENIED - Then persuade ReactOS forum to create a Na'vi sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.
  3. Then persuade "forum.learnnavi.org" to create a project sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.

Because ReactOS contain more than 100 translation files that needs to be patrolled and proofread even when it is finished.

4. Then it's possible to start translating with Na'vi linguists and submit the patches to the /svn/reactos trunk!

milon

Post by milon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:00 am

I feel like I'm missing something. The overall plan seems to be "find other people to do it for me". Was/is your plan to co-ordinate the effort with the learn navi folks so you handle the code & they only see (un)translated text? Is there something else? Still curious.