Re: Using Native Windows DLL's in ReactOS.

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Although a moderator seemingly split the thread in error, my comments at the bottom and the following posts are a response to this post and require this post and thread to be understood:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 519#p75319

Without the context of the original post, others may think Naums' post after mine was directed to me, and may wrongly assume he meant I was doing something illegal, when he was replying to the first poster in the thread above.

----
Well, I just tried winlogon.exe from Reactos in Windows. I about hosed it. Luckily I had another hard drive with XP on it. Anyway, what happened was the XP came up with a dialog box saying: "LSASS.EXE Object name not found." That is one Reactos file to not try in Windows. Not sure what would happen the other way around. I don't have a CD-RW or a copy of ISO Buster around (to modify a Live CD), but it would be interesting to try Winlogon.exe from Windows in Reactos.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
naums

Post by naums »

Well the EULA says that you are not allowed to take parts of Windows and put it into another (your) project. And that is pretty much what you are doing here. However if you wanna do this, it might crash ReactOS because we are not compatible to Windows, it might improve the stability as well. But what is the point to have ReactOS when you are using the Windows DLLs?

MfG Naums
hankscorpio

Post by hankscorpio »

I am located in Australia.

I would like to make it very clear that here you are legally allowed to modify any software you own, reverse engineer and recode it any way you like. Microsoft tried challenging the right to do so and failed in the High Court (Thats our equivalent of the Supreme Court). DMCA only applies in the US, despite how much large corporations like to bully people into thinking that it applies worldwide. EULA's cannot negate commonlaw ownership rights (again ruled by the High Court). This should apply to at least all commonwealth countries as it derives from British common law.

That said it brings up something i've been wondering about - Can you plug Windows dll's into ReactOS?
To take a simple example, charmap.exe requires getuname.dll to run. So if you load a program that ReactOS does not have a required dll to support (yet), can you just plug in a copy of the dll from XP?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

To take a simple example, charmap.exe requires getuname.dll to run. So if you load a program that ReactOS does not have a required dll to support (yet), can you just plug in a copy of the dll from XP?
Just try it. I think it should work.

If it will not work due to missing (or incorrectly implemented) functions in some ReactOS DLLs, then file a bug report about it.
hankscorpio

Post by hankscorpio »

Just try it. I think it should work.
Good to know. Though I cant get ReactOS to install nor boot, so trying is not possible atm.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

What will not work, is replacing certain ReactOS DLLs, like kernel32.dll, user32.dll, gdi32.dll, etc., by their Windows counterparts. These DLLs ‘know too much’ about ROS internals, which are not always 100% identical with Windows.

But things like getuname.dll must work… It's probably a ROS bug, if it will not work.
Though I cant get ReactOS to install nor boot, so trying is not possible atm.
You can run ReactOS in a virtual machine.
hankscorpio

Post by hankscorpio »

Yes, but you can't copy files from outside the virtual machine into it, so you can't test that sort of compatability.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

hankscorpio wrote:
Yes, but you can't copy files from outside the virtual machine into it, so you can't test that sort of compatability.
Create an ISO with the files you want to copy into ReactOS.Attach that ISO as virtual cdrom in the VM.
Then run the VM.
Access to the D: drive. You will find the files there.