An operating system

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mohamed_Mezo

An operating system

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

Hi everyone,
I have made an operating system that is contains some files from ReactOS so that i wrote in the OS documents that there is some source code was taken from ReactOS and i also wrote the website of reactos.
Are these things enough for making my operating system legal???? :?:
Note : I have made my own shell , programs , some compatibility changes , add a new files and some another customization.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: An operating system

Post by vicmarcal »

Mohamed_Mezo wrote:Hi everyone,
I have made an operating system that is contains some files from ReactOS so that i wrote in the OS documents that there is some source code was taken from ReactOS and i also wrote the website of reactos.
Note : I have made my own shell , programs , some compatibility changes , add a new files and some another customization.
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
There you can find the term of use of GPL code
Also some of our code is BSD (iirc): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses

One thing you have to provide when releasing is an Easy-to-find link where the source code is available to download.

Which source code you have to release?
All the GPL files that you have modified or used must be released as open source.
So if you have i.e changed our explorer.c file and added extra stuff inside it, then that modified explorer.c has to be released as Open.
If you have created a whole file with new code (and whole means==you didnt use any line of GPL code,yes, 1 line counts as GPL code) then you can release the file as Closed.

The Free Software Foundation will prosecute you if it finds that you are releasing GPL code as Closed.

Anyway, if you have any doubt you can ask here...or post a link to the OS and we can help you easier...

Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

I want to say that i Thought and thought and thought about how to make another code that isn't depend on any part of reactos but i didn't found any way.

I want to say that i have only 14 years old and i want to make my own operating system only.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Then why don't you do an open source operating system?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

errr. small reminder. you said you want to sell it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Mohamed_Mezo wrote:Hi everyone,
No.

Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

OK,
vicmarcal wrote:All the GPL files that you have modified or used must be released as open source.
So if you have i.e changed our explorer.c file and added extra stuff inside it, then that modified explorer.c has to be released as Open.
If you have created a whole file with new code (and whole means==you didnt use any line of GPL code,yes, 1 line counts as GPL code) then you can release the file as Closed.

The Free Software Foundation will prosecute you if it finds that you are releasing GPL code as Closed.
Now i want to know : Why the ReactOS team made an open source operating system if I cannot use any part of it or starting building on it until I learn how to build an operating system ???
I read all Books that is i found in a file in the source code , after that I didn't found any way to make a kernel or hal that isn't depends on reactos code , If i made my own one then compared it with ReactOS source code it maybe 99.9% the same code."I have tried"

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Read properly. and then re-read again. Properly. You clearly don't understand anything we're saying.

ehasis

Post by ehasis »

Now i want to know : Why the ReactOS team made an open source operating system if I cannot use any part of it or starting building on it until I learn how to build an operating system ???
I read all Books that is i found in a file in the source code , after that I didn't found any way to make a kernel or hal that isn't depends on reactos code , If i made my own one then compared it with ReactOS source code it maybe 99.9% the same code."I have tried"
You can create your own operation system based on ReactOS, pack and sell, but you must provide the source for free. This is because ReactOS is an open source operational system and a free software licensed under GPL (and couple other similar licenses).

ReactOS team has made an open source operation system because they believe that the knowledge must be free, and belongs to humanity and not to a single person on company, and cannot be available only for who have money, but yes for everyone. The GPL license (and similar ones) protect this beliefs.

Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

OK,
I have read the whole source code of ReactOS :geek: and I understood it and I read some books about NT development .
Now I will start writing my own source code but it may be up to 90% the same source code in ReactOS .
Is it any problem with GPL or any other licenses about it ?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Only if you copy paste stuff.
I still dont get why you just dont make your stuff open.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Mohamed_Mezo wrote:OK,
I have read the whole source code of ReactOS :geek: and I understood it and I read some books about NT development .
Now I will start writing my own source code but it may be up to 90% the same source code in ReactOS .
Is it any problem with GPL or any other licenses about it ?
I'm losing my patience with you. READ WHAT THE GPL SAYS, PARTICULARLY ABOUT WHAT THE GPL SAYS ABOUT COPYING. THE ANSWERS ARE THERE. YOU CLAIM THAT YOU'VE READ THE SOURCE CODE. SO WHY THE HELL DO YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT LICENSING?

bugboy
Developer

Post by bugboy »

Mohamed_Mezo,

In a little over a week, you claim to have made a new shell
and new programs. You claim to have read ReactOS source
and understand it and that you read some books on
NT development.
Yet you seem to not understand the GPL or other licenses
documented in ReactOS source. At first you seem to not
understand why you can't take the hard work of
others and call it your own to make money from.
Your source code would not be 90% the same as ReactOS
if you wrote it and didn't copy.
I highly suggest you adbandon your current path before you
get yourself in trouble.

Mjmartin

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Actually, you know what? Go ahead and publish it. We know where you are, we know what you do, we'll find you, we'll get you.

EDIT: And in case you don't believe me:
http://www.reactos.org/roscms/?search=M ... age=search
http://mohamedsalah96.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/pro ... 20Elghamry

Any violation of the GPL will result in your information being handed over to the Free Software Foundation who will then prosecute you to the maximum extent of the law allowed in the US or Saudi Arabia, the country where you are presumably intending to violate the GPL through your software.