Hardware drivers must be fixed

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

UltraManII

Hardware drivers must be fixed

Post by UltraManII » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:16 am

Hey,
I have tested all ReactOS builds and it still seems that whenever I try to use it, it will force me to install drivers for Keyboard and Mouse. If i dont install, system locks up nothing happens.
If i install, system will work for 10 seconds then just lock up.

System is always Idle even when cpu-sucking actions are being done.

I think the first step to developing is implementing WDDM and XPDM and also main drivers, video and audio and network later.

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Hardware drivers must be fixed

Post by EmuandCo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 am

well the only way to help you is provide us with a log file and your specs
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 am

EmuandCo's response was kind of blunt, though not surprising because these kinds of postings are somewhat common and it can get somewhat frustrating when people ask the same questions over and over again with no information to work off of.

Saying that something isn't working on your computer under ReactOS but not having any debug output or hardware specifications is like going to the doctor for a fever and the doctor being unable to ask you what any other symptoms might be or examine you physically to see what is wrong. More information is necessary if a proper assessment can be made.

Hardware specs are simply the components of your computer, i.e., the motherboard, CPU, video card, sound card, ethernet card, disk drives, etc. Software like CPU-Z can be helpful if you're uncertain as to the specifics of your hardware. For example, right now I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with an AMD Athlon 64 X2, an ATI Radeon 2600, 3 gigabytes of DDR2 RAM, a 1 terabyte Seagate SATA hard drive, and so on. If you're testing in a virtual machine, your specs are your virtual machine and it's settings, such as the RAM you gave it, if ACPI is enabled (I can't remember if we support that yet, actually :P), etc. If you're trying ReactOS for the first time, your best bet is playing on it with a virtual machine. If you already know what WDDM and stuff means, I'm assuming you know this already as well.

If you're not familiar with creating debug output, I made a tutorial a while back, and MadWolf even added a link with pictures to visually guide you through the process. Assuming you're testing in a virtual machine, of course. I don't have the hardware to get debug output from an actual computer, so I don't have any skills with working on real hardware, besides installing ReactOS on an old computer of mine way back in 0.3.9 or so.

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c8f565d89e

Seems you're new, so welcome to the ReactOS community! :D

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:21 am

it was not blunt at all. I tried to get him reading our website to get the needed information.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm

<<< With those guys, post your hardware information and they can help you sort it out.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm

UltraManII wrote:I think the first step to developing is implementing WDDM and XPDM and also main drivers, video and audio and network later.
Drivers first need a correct foundation to be run upon. This means kernel, hal, pnp, driver stacks, win32k and forked userland libraries. Only then we can think of new functionality.