Reactos language C and C++

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

FORCE

Reactos language C and C++

Post by FORCE »

Will ReactOS always use only C and C++, i ask because todays most Linux distros is bloated with Phython snake and Mono and Windows with that .NET horror. I really hope that reactoswill keep C and C++ only for speed and size.

My current OP is Nlited Win XP that is very fast because crap is ripped out, even .iso size is 157mb.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Reactos language C and C++

Post by vicmarcal »

ReactOS is coded in C and C++, and it will be in that way forever.
Of course on ReactOS you will be able to run any app(.Net app, Delphi app, whatever that is able to run on Windows).

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What crap are you referring to? Just because you obviously don't know how to use some of it, that doesn't make it crap...

As for Python and .NET - both have their uses. Again, lack of knowledge regarding this topic shouldn't push you to such hasty conclusions.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Someone's crap is somebody else's fertilizer. :)

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Re:

Post by gabrielilardi »

hto wrote:Someone's crap is somebody else's fertilizer. :)
LOL :D

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

That was supposed to prove Java is not slower than native binary?

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

It's supposed to prove that any complaints about performance when running interpreted/jitted/etc. code as opposed to natively compiled code is misdirected, and should be directed at other, more significant, performance bottlenecks in an application.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

So if i never seen a java app working on par regarding performance, as natively compiled app, its only because apps were not designed correctly? Looks like a strange streak of bad luck for java, for me.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

I'm saying that there probably are other bottlenecks that should be looked into. Only when you determine or trust that the design is sound and that the usual I/O bottlenecks (databases, disk, network) are not a problem or resolved that you should start to suspect that there are some problems with the language used.

And perhaps there really was a streak of bad luck for Java. The concept of VM languages for mainstream applications did not really take off until we had sufficient computing resources at our disposal, so as a result, and combined with the JVM refusing to use JIT, Java had a bad rep for slow performance.

By the time we've had the computing power, the .com boom - and this can be disputable - and other factors raised a generation of programmers who are more interested in acquiring material wealth than they are in good software design. Otherwise, I struggle to think of another reason why that has led to the popularity of sites like thedailywtf. Since Java is a far more forgiving language, most people learnt that, and as a result Java got further bad rep for its community.

Of course, the usual caveat to what I said applies: Correlation does not imply Causation. And yes, unfortunately, Java is still slower than C++. But Java has other useful features that outweigh its performance problems (portability, sandboxing, automatic memory management). JFGI.

Our machines of today do work pretty quickly by the way, so the gap between VM and native apps shouldn't be so significant. Don't forget that some VM langs take the trouble to JIT once, and then run as native either for the rest of the app's session (Java, certain hotspots get JITted, although the rest of the application often remains interpreted), or the rest of its lifetime on the system's disk (.NET).

Also, my dailywtf link post wasn't trying to prove that Java was not slower than native compiled code. It's only there because the site didn't have a .NET related link highlighting the fact that the thread starter has no idea what he is talking about.
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Let's rewrite the HAL in Python!!!

SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

FORCE wrote:Will ReactOS always use only C and C++, i ask because todays most Linux distros is bloated with Phython snake and Mono and Windows with that .NET horror.
Reactos won't always use C and C++.
Don't compare Reactos to Linux.
Python and .NET are not bad.

FORCE

Post by FORCE »

i do not hate directly them but atleast offical release should be fast and very light without python, .net etc..., everyone can later install whatever they want or make custom release.

Look ubuntu and try to remove Python then whole desktop dies.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

FORCE wrote:i do not hate directly them but atleast offical release should be fast and very light without python, .net etc..., everyone can later install whatever they want or make custom release.

Look ubuntu and try to remove Python then whole desktop dies.
Thats why we dont accept any other languages as asm, c and c++, we wont provide a build system and no runtimes for them, because we want ROS stay slim.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.