Layers

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

danielbarry

Layers

Post by danielbarry »

I did put something up about having 'layers', but everyone seemed to ignore it. If you wathc this video, you will see what I mean about having React Os like Windows 8.

Heres the Video: http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... lor=01AAEA

Dan

Black_Fox

Re: Layers

Post by Black_Fox »

the link is broken, try [url] tag

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What Windows 8?

danielbarry

Post by danielbarry »

Sorry about the link guys, I will try and find another one. Just type Windows MinWin into a search engine or something.

By the way, theres no mistake, I know there is a Windows 7, but we are talking bout Windows 8 here. :D

Its being made as we speak. Its built in a series of layers, in which they will build the operating system. They are also working on making it slip stream.

Is React OS going to stay compatible with just XP, or will it progress? Windows is redoing their whole operating system for Windows 8, will this jepodise Raect OS?

Dan

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

If you're going to discuss MinWin again, danielbarry, then please use your old thread.

lollebol

Post by lollebol »

I think that he's not talking about 'winmin' alone, but about the follow up (named Windows 8 for now), will be complete different then the previous releases. Since there are only rumors about Microsoft's 'next-gen' operating right now like,
*A tighter and modular core*
*A complete new GUI*
* Register will be replaced by SQL??* :|

I wouldn't take this serious yet, unless Microsoft brings the news itself.

danielbarry

Post by danielbarry »

OK, but I I know someone that work in Microsoft, and it looks like a whole new rebuild.

The question remains, is React OS going to stay compatible, and if so, is all the work being done now a waste of time?

Dan

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

danielbarry wrote:OK, but I I know someone that work in Microsoft, and it looks like a whole new rebuild.

The question remains, is React OS going to stay compatible, and if so, is all the work being done now a waste of time?

Dan
Stay compatible with the ever-evolving new OSes? Well, ROS can do that, once it gets passed all the hurdles it has now (IE: USB, Uniata, DirectX, More Network Support, etc.) You probably won't see good eyecandy effects like in Vista or Windows 7 in ReactOS for quite some time though. Not until someone develops an eyecandy suite for ROS like they did with Compiz.

And why SQL of all things? Isn't Windows supposed to be SECURE?!

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

coldReactive wrote:And why SQL of all things? Isn't Windows supposed to be SECURE?!
You seem to be implying that SQL is not secure. As a programmer whose background lies in relational database design, I would have to disagree.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:
coldReactive wrote:And why SQL of all things? Isn't Windows supposed to be SECURE?!
You seem to be implying that SQL is not secure. As a programmer whose background lies in relational database design, I would have to disagree.
No database is completely secure however. MD5 and SHA aren't completely secure either. ( http://milw0rm.com/ )

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

So? By that definition, no piece of software is secure. Don't see why somehow using a SQL backend for something makes an OS less secure.

danielbarry

Post by danielbarry »

To be honest, as long as it works, security can be added to any data base. They may come up with some sort of automatic encryption or something.

Is React OS going to start using SQL if Microsoft do?

If so, how many changes will be needed to be made? Considering the fact that they have an army of programmers, the odds don't look good. Wouldn't it be better to be able to choose between the two? I know it would take a while to do, but it would be worth it in the end for compatibility.

Dan

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

danielbarry wrote:To be honest, as long as it works, security can be added to any data base. They may come up with some sort of automatic encryption or something.

Is React OS going to start using SQL if Microsoft do?

If so, how many changes will be needed to be made? Considering the fact that they have an army of programmers, the odds don't look good. Wouldn't it be better to be able to choose between the two? I know it would take a while to do, but it would be worth it in the end for compatibility.

Dan
No.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

danielbarry wrote:Is React OS going to start using SQL if Microsoft do?
Without some sort of compatibility layer, residing on top of such sql database and converting input/output to the correct format, all application compatibility would be lost.

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Haos wrote:
danielbarry wrote:Is React OS going to start using SQL if Microsoft do?
Without some sort of compatibility layer, residing on top of such sql database and converting input/output to the correct format, all application compatibility would be lost.
Isn't the registry technically a flat-file database?

And in any case, Microsoft tries really hard not to break compatibility, so I expect they will use a translation layer to go from the flat-file registry mergefiles to SQL in order to make it work.

This means that if ReactOS were to follow the same method, they could use ANY SQL engine they wanted. Firebird, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Drizzle, SQLite, MariaDB, etc.

Probably either SQLite, PostgreSQL, or Drizzle would be used in ReactOS. Most likely SQLite. Microsoft would either go with MS SQL Server (obviously modified to be more minimal) or SQLite (since it is under Public Domain, Microsoft will easily relicense it under their proprietary terms). It is more likely they will use MS SQL Server, since it would be harder to directly manipulate by non-Windows systems.