Windows 'MinWin' and Windows 8

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

danielbarry

Re: Windows 'MinWin' and Windows 8

Post by danielbarry »

To be honest, I think that React OS will one day, not so far from now, support most, if not all Processors. It may not take full advantage, but if people write programs for Windows to take full advantage of the processor, than sureley this will work for React OS.

On the subject of getting rid of applications on installing, this is half what I meant, but the idea is still good.

What I meant was that they are developing a base operating system, that runs in a dos like mode, that runs all the basic processes. Basicly, the whole operating system can be minimzed to about 100mb, meaning that the older pc's can run it to.

This massively benefits servers, that dont need to be visual, and just process the information fast. Not only this, if you build a base, others can build, cjange, and optimize the operating system to how they want.

Imagine an operating system that you could customly make, with a wizard, and optimize it to do any job, any size, any anything. That would be absolutely amazing. I once came across the man trying to build an operating system in a wizard, build it yourself like format. 9 years later, nobody has heard of him.....

He might have died making it or something. :D

I know this is all very optimistic, but the way technology is going, we also need to be looking to the future. After all, to be like Windows, we need to think like Windows.....

Dan
danielbarry

Post by danielbarry »

fbsduser

Post by fbsduser »

I had a similar idea. Make ReactOS able to boot into a dos-like cli mode in which you can run any cli/DOS apps and if the user needs to run a windows/graphical app he types something like "startgui" or "reactos" or something similar and the ReactOS GUI comes up (the same way that you used to do to run win3x from within DOS) and when you´re done you just use the exit function in the GUI to return to the cli. (this is how PC´s worked with Win3x. You booted into DOS, you typed "win" to open win3x and when you closed win3x you returned to DOS).