cmoibenlepro

Visual Studio

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Can I compile Reactos with Visual C++, and if yes could you tell me how? Thanks

And if it doesn't work, what is missing? :?:
LRN

Re: Visual Studio

Post by LRN »

You should not use MSVS for C/C++ development, because Microsoft C Compiler (cl.exe) is obsolete and MS refuses to update it.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello,
At the moment you cannot compile the whole of ROS with VC++ .. some parts you can .. you can make rbuild generate the project files .. Hopefully in the future someone will get the time to fix rest of the compilation ..

LRN .. No .. VC++ is not obsolete .. it is one of the best compilers around ..
Regards GreyGhost
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The VC++ compiler is one of the best out there, far surpassing the G++ compiler that's part of GCC. One reason we dislike including C++ code is because of the crappiness of G++. While the C compiler in MSVC has not been updated to support newer standards, it's perfectly functional and suitable for most projects.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Z98 wrote:The VC++ compiler is one of the best out there, far surpassing the G++ compiler that's part of GCC. One reason we dislike including C++ code is because of the crappiness of G++. While the C compiler in MSVC has not been updated to support newer standards, it's perfectly functional and suitable for most projects.
Does this mean that GCC is better for C but MSVC is better for C++?
z180

Post by z180 »

GCC is really slower in compiling C++ than VC++.
GCC and MSVC are not fully compatible,and not everyone has both of them to test new code.
MSVC is not available for the alternative platforms ARM PowerPC and perhaps MIPS.
GCC is open source and the 4.3.x may be stable soon.
I vote for rewriting sysreg ,rbuild and the MDI Explorer in C,but that needs people to do it.
WINE also wants C code testcases and patches.

At last,more people may help reviewing code written in C,that is a common experience.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

C would be a very poor fit for RBuild. We're not about to cripple our tools just because of GCC's flaws. There's also already a new explorer shell sitting in trunk, as pointed out multiple times in the past, written in pure C using the Windows API.
SdC

Post by SdC »

I think that many developers from the Windows (Visual Studio) camp are looking at the ReactOS project and struggling with the lack of a good IDE (syntax checking, autocomplete, object explorer, F1, F5 etc.)
I'm now working on loading the source in Netbeans 6.1. It seems to have decent C/C++ support now, and handles the Makefile properly. Ok it's primarily built for Java but at least it's open source and cross-platform. You can configure the compiler paths and Make command lines.
http://www.netbeans.org/
It's still a work in progress to run a succesful build.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its made in JAVA (yuck nr 1.) and for Windows, it uses Cygwin build tools (yuck nr 2).

/me staying with VS2008 Express
SdC

Post by SdC »

Haos wrote:Its made in JAVA (yuck nr 1.) and for Windows, it uses Cygwin build tools (yuck nr 2).

/me staying with VS2008 Express
ummm no on yuck nr 2... I'm running it from RosBE and it's completely configured to use the RosBE specific Ming GNU set.