Any way to do SVN check out on existing ROS source code

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyberkoa

Any way to do SVN check out on existing ROS source code

Post by cyberkoa »

My question is simple.

I know how to do a SVN check out of ROS source from the repository.

However, ROS source tree is too big , and to check out the all the files from nothing is time consuming.

Instead, I am thinking to download the ROS 0.33 source code from sourceforge, and put in my hard disk. And from there only I do a SVN check out to the latest code.

Is there anyway to do so ? I have tried to do but get the error message saying that "there is no working copy ..."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I don't think there is any way to do so, especially as there are differences between 0.3.3 and what is in trunk.

The best possibility is just to checkout the folder trunk/reactos.
my blog: phoenix.de.am
steveh

why this doesn't work...

Post by steveh »

>Instead, I am thinking to download the ROS 0.33 source code from sourceforge, and put in my hard disk. And from there only I do a SVN check out to the latest code.

That will not work, because on a checkout your SVN client will not only create a local copy of the SVN tree, but also create in each directory some sort of standardized SVN control information, mostly version inventory. In linux all this is even hidden by names starting with dots.

In linux you have in each subdirectory of the SVN tree a hidden ".svn" subdirectory containing hidden files (with names starting with a dot).

So far, the SVN client cannot "take over" a existing simple copy of the reactos software source tree, because that internal SVN info is missing. The SVN client will not even be able to identify the versions of your source files...
cyberkoa

Post by cyberkoa »

thx for all the reply. It seems like there is no way to do so.

I hope that ROS dev team will consider to package a nightly source package (with SVN info inside) , so that new comers do not need to do a new SVN checkout which I think wasting resources. This will help those who did not do checkout frequently.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

They provide nightly builds. Unless you plan to make modifications, you don't even need to build. However, due to the likeliness you ARE modifying it and know about the nightly builds, I will point out that its very redundant to not checkout the whole tree at least once...
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage