how to edit .rc files

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mrkaras

how to edit .rc files

Post by Mrkaras »

Is there any info anywhere on the standard syntax and command of a .rc file or any GUI editors that save proper files? I can not seem to find any info on them and trying to look at samples is a bit hit and miss.

also, how do I recompile a program with an updated .rc file? typing "make {thing to make}" will say there is nothing to make if only the .rc is changed?

I am currently getting "/en-US.rc:41:57: Error: syntax error" (the end of the error message) even though line 41 is empty, not even a space on it, i want to be able to recompile easily and get sensible error messages, editing a .c or .cpp file works fine just the build environment seems to ignore changes to .rc files.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I got that problem fixed but now I have checkboxes that won't check, clicking on them does not put a mark in the box. same for my radiobuttons.

Avalos

Post by Avalos »

notepad x)

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

also, how do I recompile a program with an updated .rc file?
There should be corresponding *.coff file under obj-i386 subdirectory. Delete it to force recompilation.
I am currently getting "/en-US.rc:41:57: Error: syntax error" (the end of the error message) even though line 41 is empty [...]

I got that problem fixed
Missing quotation mark?
I have checkboxes that won't check, clicking on them does not put a mark in the box. same for my radiobuttons.
Did you test that app under Windows?

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

*.coff:
that was exactly what I needed to know, thanks.

error:
I think it may have turned out to be a missing quote mark but now that I can recompile with the changes taking effect things like this should be a lot easier to find.

Checkboxes:
I am testing under windows but I must be doing something wrong. it there any code required before the boxes will check/unchecked, maybe I did something wrong in the .rc file, I'll have to try to find somewhere another .rc files uses them (I just copied a button and changed PUSHBUTTON to CHECKBOX or RADIOBUTTON)

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

or just paste your .rc code in here ;)

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I got the checkbox thing, it looks like I should use AUTOCHECKBOX rather than CHECKBOX and the same for the radiobuttons.

I am still trying to work out how to find the state of the checkboxes (whether they are checked or not) and how to make the radio buttons behave properly in 2 separate groups. I am still looking into both now and I think I will probably find the state checking but I'm not sure about the radiobutton grouping, do I have to use RADIOBUTTON and manually control them maybe?