Issue w/ WINE

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

artamb

Issue w/ WINE

Post by artamb »

Greetings:

We are currently working on out distro of ReactOS (since 0.2.1) and with 0.3.0 we notice somce changes is the code mainly WINE that prevents our distro changes from working. Does ReactOS developers have a contact in the WINE group we can bring our questions to directly? I have been to their webpage and unlike ReactOS they don't list any key member contact information (i.e. e-mails).

This way it prevents us having to use ReactOS forums for an issue that is clearly WINE related not ReactOS related.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Now does feature work with True Windows.

If not you don't stand a hope with Wine or Reactos altering stuff to suit.

If it does work with Windows but not with Wine then you have found a bug in Wine that need to reported if it does not already exist in Wines bugzilla.

If it works in Windows and Wine and not in Reactos they its a Bug in Reactos same thing check the Reactos bugzilla and report as required.

Basicly if its something you distro is doing special you are on your own. If its a bug we want to hear about it. Might make a good test case what ever is setting off the problem.

After that you are on you own. Direct contact with Winehq is not common. Most meetings are done in IRC. There is a mailing list for Winehq too. Most common link in Winehq is the bugzilla.
artamb

Wine

Post by artamb »

Actually I think you are misunderstanding what we are doing
the issue with ReactOS and WINE itself

to outline, what we could do on previous version of reactos
is change the following:

\Program Files\ to \Applications\
\Settings and Documents\ to \Profiles

We use to change this in earlier versions of RactoOS we were able to make these changes in earlier versions of the reactos and were able to compile and install our alpha versions of the distro we were making however. In ver 0.3.0 something change and we realize through our tracing that it is within WINE and we need get with the WINE group to find out what edits we need to make in there code to get our distro to work with the folders structure we want.

So this is not an issue of a feature that can run in normal windows, in fact we know the file structre we want does run in normal windows because we have made these edits in windows w/o issue.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok a double misunderstanding.

Wine parts in Reactos are direct import from Winehq.org. Most of the time no alterations on Reactos part. There are some exceptions. Reason why testing has to be done on both. To work where the fault was created. Is it a reactos fault due to a alteration done to fix something. Or is it a Winehq fault at this point I am not dead sure.

I would say try what you are attempting do should work with Winehq.org parts. It could be a bug in Winehq.org. If so it need to be entered into the Winehq bugzilla.

Thinking that Winehq .dll files should be interchangeable with normal windows dlls. It will be a defect in wine if they are not interchangeable.

Winehq are mainly bugzilla and IRC not as much mailing list.

Also if you have a large connection downloading the winehq git if the winehq is a fault you will be able to back step threw patchs until you find the cause.
artamb

Wine

Post by artamb »

Thanks!! we will continue to work with them, however, if you know the
precise line of code/object we should be looking at that would help,
because in the 0.3.0 source code we are finding it differcult to locate
were we need ot make our edits, we were able to isloate it to something in Winehq but if you can help us narrow it down, that would make it easier when we goto WineHQ to resolve the issues.
oiaohm wrote:Ok a double misunderstanding.

Wine parts in Reactos are direct import from Winehq.org. Most of the time no alterations on Reactos part. There are some exceptions. Reason why testing has to be done on both. To work where the fault was created. Is it a reactos fault due to a alteration done to fix something. Or is it a Winehq fault at this point I am not dead sure.

I would say try what you are attempting do should work with Winehq.org parts. It could be a bug in Winehq.org. If so it need to be entered into the Winehq bugzilla.

Thinking that Winehq .dll files should be interchangeable with normal windows dlls. It will be a defect in wine if they are not interchangeable.

Winehq are mainly bugzilla and IRC not as much mailing list.

Also if you have a large connection downloading the winehq git if the winehq is a fault you will be able to back step threw patchs until you find the cause.