XBOX

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

PHEZNIK

XBOX

Post by PHEZNIK »

I cant seem to find ANY info on what has happened for reactos for xbox, I saw somewhere that it was under development. Has it gotten any progress?
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

as far as i know, you can setup linux, and run reactos under a virtual machine. As for reactos under xbox raw, im not to sure. I have heard of this, but its just a bunch of bits and peices and you need a mod chip installed etc. How bout you wait until its a little more "officially reconized" with guides and such on this site? No need to damage your xbox by switching between guides.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
we are working on both xbox and PC same time. it is same code. when xbox release will come I do not know.
PHEZNIK

thanks

Post by PHEZNIK »

GreatLord wrote:Hi
we are working on both xbox and PC same time. it is same code. when xbox release will come I do not know.
That's cool. Can't wait to try it out on the xbox and see what i can move over from the pc
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Since reactos is generally possible to port as far as i know, it should not be to hard to compile for some other machines. I trust that it may be possible to run on not only the xbox and x86 pc but probably a powerpc. Which would be nice, bringing windows applications to both xbox and mac users with more intentions then ever before. But of course, there are no plans for ports that i know of except for xbox. There used to be a dos port, i think.
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Arty was working on a PowerPC port a while ago, but like Xbox I think it too has gonne onto the back burner for a while.
Jaix
Moderator Team

XBox and PowerPC

Post by Jaix »

ReactOS will work on XBox because the difference is pretty small (hal and drivers) as GreatLord said, no porting needs to be done, only the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and all XBox specific drivers plus some more stuff I don't remember now.
Read about it here:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/XBOX
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... OS_on_XBox
When we talk about PowerPC a lot of work has been done developing ways to build ReactOS for PowerPC and then also for how to handle the specific hardware.
Read about it here:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/PowerPC
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

If powerpc can only handle special built apps, its no good. Please guys, figure out a way to emulate the x86 binary format without a vpc or similar! Better late than never too, since were not even near close to finishing this os in the first place.

Actually, a virtual pc could work. ReactOS for PowerPC could be a Qemu operating system with a reactos sub partition technique maybe a file based harddrive.. My solutions are always this hard-to-implement, btw.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Nmn wrote:If powerpc can only handle special built apps, its no good. Please guys, figure out a way to emulate the x86 binary format without a vpc or similar!
That's not possible. You'll always take a massive performance hit when you run x86 binaries on non-x86 computers.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Matthias wrote:
Nmn wrote:If powerpc can only handle special built apps, its no good. Please guys, figure out a way to emulate the x86 binary format without a vpc or similar!
That's not possible. You'll always take a massive performance hit when you run x86 binaries on non-x86 computers.
Yes, they will be slower, but it might be not that bad, if all OS based operations are executed natively. A lot of programs make massive use of winapi and don't use cpu time a lot by themselves. Those programs might be pretty usable on a ppc with emulation.
So there would be at least the possibility to run (almost) all win software on a ppc and faster than with full PC+OS emulation.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Emulation & Recompilation

Post by Jaix »

When ReactOS is finnished and the PowerPC port is too, then I'm sure there will be solutions on how to run x86 software coming, either by emulation or recompilation.
When ReactOS is finnished there will be a large ammount of OpenSource software available for building to the PPC platform, so there is maybe only a few softwares that really needs to be emulated (and most of it comes form Microsoft).