Help needed developing explorer_old for Windows 10

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ootu

Help needed developing explorer_old for Windows 10

Post by Ootu »

Hi, I've recently started a personal project of making explorer_old have wallpaper functionality while running on windows 10. Wallpapers don't function on windows 10 because Microsoft made it so custom shells can't use the wallpaper engine on windows 7, 8 and 10. So basically what I'm trying to do is edit the source code to add 'C:\wallpaper.bmp' to where the wallpaper or solid color usually is on explorer_old and i'm wondering how this can be done with what cpp file, also today I was looking through desktop.cpp in C:\Users\User\ReactOS\modules\rosapps\applications\explorer-old\desktop but don't really know what i'm doing because i'm more used to object oriented programming with c#. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks for reading :).
dizt3mp3r

Re: Help needed developing explorer_old for Windows 10

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think you are on a hiding to nothing old boy. I somewhat doubt that the devs will want to spend time on an old version of the old explorer when the current branch is still being developed and there is real work for them to do. If I were you I would put my efforts into assisting getting the new version into shape and doing what you want. To confirm this you could ask the same question on the off topic channel on Mattermost where some devs may be listening. I think you will receive the same response there though. I'd suggest not to post on the dev section though, your concept might receive short shrift there, keep it off topic and see how it goes.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.