Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source on windows 10.

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ootu

Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source on windows 10.

Post by Ootu »

Hi, I'm planing to edit the source code of explorer.exe from ReactOS 0.2.0 to add wallpaper functionality while running on windows 10, but before I get that far I need to know how to compile explorer.exe, All I know is that the source code for explorer.exe is located in reactos-0.2.0-source.zip\subsys\system\explorer and reactos-0.2.0-source.zip is available for download at "https://sourceforge.net/projects/reacto ... p/download". Also The only documentation of compiling explorer.exe from ReactOS I've found is here "http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/index.html", Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Ootu on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source for windows 10.

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Ootu

Post by Ootu »

I've read the compiling part of "http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/index.html" but I haven't had any luck, I always get errors when compiling with minGW and with visual studio 6.0, I'm probably doing something wrong, any extra help would be much appreciated.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, some errors in a pastebin would be helpful then. Btw... why Explorer from 0.2.0?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Ootu

Post by Ootu »

EmuandCo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:59 pm Well, some errors in a pastebin would be helpful then. Btw... why Explorer from 0.2.0?
I'd like to use explorer from 0.2.0 because it runs perfectly on windows 10 without being ran in compatibility mode. My plan is to add a bmp image behind the desktop icons using a file in the root of the C drive called something like wallpaper.bmp. As for the errors, I'm getting this "gcc: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory" when running "mingw32-make -f Makefile.MinGW" as it says to do at "http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/index.html"
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Try mingw32-make -f Makefile-MinGW or in RosBE case: make -f Makefile-MinGW

Ootu

Post by Ootu »

EmuandCo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 am Try mingw32-make -f Makefile-MinGW or in RosBE case: make -f Makefile-MinGW
I used RosBE and did the command "make -f Makefile.MinGW" and got an error with a log file: "https://pastebin.com/Wbtj1NYb". I also used minGW and did the command "mingw32-make -f Makefile.MinGW" and got an error so I copied the cmd text and pasted it here: "https://pastebin.com/mbG9pw5G".
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source on windows 10.

Post by hbelusca »

Since you want to compile the explorer_old from ROS 0.2.0, are you using the correspondingly older version of RosBE, that uses an older version of GCC that should be more lenient concerning these sorts of warnings?
Ootu

Post by Ootu »

hbelusca wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 am Since you want to compile the explorer_old from ROS 0.2.0, are you using the correspondingly older version of RosBE, that uses an older version of GCC that should be more lenient concerning these sorts of warnings?
I don't think there was a version of RosBE for 0.2.0, the install file that tells you how to compile and says to use the 'make' command in the root of the OS's source code.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Interesting... :) Nevertheless at that time the code was compatible with whatever version of GCC/MinGW that was existing back then (in 2004).
Ootu

Post by Ootu »

hbelusca wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:02 am Interesting... :) Nevertheless at that time the code was compatible with whatever version of GCC/MinGW that was existing back then (in 2004).
So what should I try and do now, and is there a way to compile the whole 0.2.0 OS to a bootcd.iso? if so I could edit the source code then compile the whole OS to an iso and extract explorer.exe from that iso.