What easy programe can I help with?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeremyk

What easy programe can I help with?

Post by jeremyk »

I am a c programer and I also can program win32 api. so what are a list of things that I can help program that are being put aside for the more inportant things. How about some one make a list of all the core system files then a list of the the simacore system files then a list of non estial OS files. I want to work on something asy to get started then work my way down to the harder files.

I have made a note pad clone, and a win calculator. Is there something I can work on to speed up the OS so it will run a little faster or just a bunch of small programes to speed up the prosses?
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

A help system will be interesting (is not implemented now, isn't it?)
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

HUMA2000 wrote:A help system will be interesting (is not implemented now, isn't it?)
No, infact if you try it it will say "Help not implemented in Reactos now, sorry" or something very close to that.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

A few things that I can think of that ReactOS will need eventually that can be created seperatly:

A paint program
Sound recorder / media player
Disk defragmenter
Simple rich text editor (if Abiword isn't going to be bundled with reactos)
Simple database / notecard application
Address book
A tutorial program (at least the framework for one until it is finished)
A bare bones HTML renderer used just for help files and local content (should not be a full blown browser to keep it fast and simple)
A GUI based com / terminal program. (like hyper terminal)
Terminal Server / Remote Desktop client (Microsofts should run under ReactOS but it would be nice to have a Win32 port of RDesk bundled)
More open source device drivers
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

Can I compile ROS and have my video driver already installed in it so that is the video driver it uses not a genaric one?
Drs

Post by Drs »

You will have to use a generic driver. The Vesa one isn't so bad. There was support for NVidia cards but since I don't have an Nvidia card I can't tell you whether they were still working.
--
Devin
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

drs wrote:You will have to use a generic driver. The Vesa one isn't so bad. There was support for NVidia cards but since I don't have an Nvidia card I can't tell you whether they were still working.
Last time I tried they were working. It was somewhen in 0.2.5cvs. I don't think that they aren't working anymore now.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

it should work load 3d part graphic drv in reactos. but you for self set up the reg setting for it. I have not testet yet ati own drv for reactos yet.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

SomeGuy wrote:A few things that I can think of that ReactOS will need eventually that can be created seperatly:

A paint program
Sound recorder / media player
Disk defragmenter
Simple rich text editor (if Abiword isn't going to be bundled with reactos)
Simple database / notecard application
Address book
A tutorial program (at least the framework for one until it is finished)
A bare bones HTML renderer used just for help files and local content (should not be a full blown browser to keep it fast and simple)
A GUI based com / terminal program. (like hyper terminal)
Terminal Server / Remote Desktop client (Microsofts should run under ReactOS but it would be nice to have a Win32 port of RDesk bundled)
More open source device drivers
Once we get full VB support, many of those programs will be available.
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

Once we get full VB support, many of those programs will be available.
I agree with you, The Watcher. Even not being very good to work alone, VB is easier than others for easy-programming. Well, i am not being very neutral because i use it :? but i think it may make some developments/developers easier, even without extra controls options. I tried once to run a very-easy Vb program (label, file access and random) and ROS freezed (or rebooted by itself, i'm not very sure). :D Maybe i shuld have put at the app's directory some windows path DLLs, but that's the result.
I suggest working on it (as in the other ways, of course) but also trying to get more friendly errors when unsupported Windows app's are ran.
Linuxhippy

Hmmm...

Post by Linuxhippy »

I completly disagree because of:

1.) VB is dead. Even MS sees that and has created VB.NET which has nothing to do with VB6 - except some libraries and the same synthax.

2.) VB is prorietary-only. So no such program will be distributed with ReactOS since its not free software.

Beside:
As far as I know Mono already runs on top of reactos and offers a Basic-Compiler which is compatible with VB.NET...
Why donÄt you use this - its available and working welll...

lg Clemens
e7

Post by e7 »

I hope Gambas runs on ReactOS in the next month, then we have an open VB Environment...
Linuxhippy

Hmm...

Post by Linuxhippy »

Well, Gambas is Linux-only for now and hasn't even been ported to Windows.
Another problem you come arround with gambas is, that it relies on QT which also is not free software (windows version).

There is already a basic-enviroment: Mono
I do not understand whats so bad with it?

Why does everybody want to use VB? - Its a loosy language with a buggy/slow interpreter - the only thing which is quite cool is the IDE part with a cool drag&drop gui building tool.

You can have all this also with much better languages - have a look at lazarus, glade, I am sure there are also tons of win32 gui builders available.
With mono you should be even able to run Windows.Forms on top of reactos...

I just do not understand the problem...

lg Clemens
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

VB is dead. Even MS sees that and has created VB.NET which has nothing to do with VB6 - except some libraries and the same synthax.
Hmm... that is hard to accept. In the computing world, nothing is ever 'dead'. The 8088 is still alive (real mode, anyone?). DOS is still alive. Heck, CP/M is still alive! Even if vb WERE dead (which I highly doubt), there are still lots of apps that use it, so it MUST be supported. Don't forget that vb has its fingers planted in many Windows-critical stuff, such as OLE, COM, MS Access, VBScript and many scripting languages. To say we don't support vb is similar to throwing millions of users out the door.
VB is prorietary-only. So no such program will be distributed with ReactOS since its not free software.
err... how did you come up with that? AFAIK it is not wrong to install proprietary software on a free operating system.
Let's face it: free solutions to EVERY problem do not exist. Most all apps run under Windows are proprietary. In order to maintain full compatibility we must be able to run ALL (with a capital A) Windows progs under ros, and that includes VB to a large extent.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Linuxhippy

Hmmm?

Post by Linuxhippy »

Well, it seems you misunderstood me - some guys said that reactos needs some basic applications - and some other guys responeded that this would happen if VB would run on ReactOS.

I just wanted to give an advice that betting on VB for ROS-Apps is not a very good descision.
The 8088 is still alive
Well and it causes headackes to many cpu designers. Withought those limitations it would be possible to get 50% more speed out of the same amount of silicon.
To say we don't support vb
Did I ever say that? I just said that for ROS-Apps VB6 might not be the right choice and users should have a look at other, better and free tools.
AFAIK it is not wrong to install proprietary software on a free operating system.
Not to install, but to deploy...
Let's face it: free solutions to EVERY problem do not exist.
Well, thats why theres ReactOS ;-)

just happy to have helped ;-)

lg Clemens