Open Source collection

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

lm8

Open Source collection

Post by lm8 »

I've been wanting to put together a disk with Open Source programs for events like Software Freedom Day. There were several Open Source collection disks available at one point, but now there just seem to be a few out there. I could just put all the programs I want to share on a CD or DVD and let the users install to their system. However, I've been thinking it might be an interesting alternative to take a ReactOS live CD and add the programs there so anyone could try them out via VirtualBox, Qemu, etc. Just wondering how feasible the idea is. Most of the programs in the collection would be SDL, FLTK, pdcurses or command line based and they're very portable. So, building them for Windows or ReactOS shouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone done something similar? Any suggestions on best approaches? Are there any projects or documentation you'd recommend checking out? I downloaded the ReactOS source and followed the instructions on the wiki to build ReactOS from source. I also tried the live CD and tried installing the boot CD with VirtualBox. Copied a few Windows programs that I've built from source and they seem to run fine on ReactOS in VirtualBox. What are some good next steps? Thanks.
gonzoMD

Re: Open Source collection

Post by gonzoMD »

In the past I created an nsis script that just launched all bundled applications setups in silent install mode, and added a runonce key for itso that this software would automatically installed after the reactos setup.

A better solution would be to add all those setups as runonceex keys, but this is not implemented yet.

I did all this with an installation of reactos, no idea how to achieve it with a live CD.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I've tried modifying live CDs in the past, but without luck. If you open them with something like 7zip you'll see that the Default user profile is right there - you could easily add a folder to the Desktop or something.

The trouble I've found is that modifying an ISO isn't as straightforward as it should be. If you can find a tool to modify the ISO, you generally end up breaking it's ability to boot. This is where I've been stuck in the past and haven't bothered to look into further.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

To modify the iso is not the correct way. You have to check out the source code, add the packages and the registry keys/source list entries and build it on your own.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

For the moment the OS is not finish (the development status is alpha), it's for that there is no CD packages. But you can burned your own.