Successful USB Install - Good job vgal (and others helping)!

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosfan34

Successful USB Install - Good job vgal (and others helping)!

Post by reactosfan34 »

I tested out one of the newer ReactOS versions that vgal has been sharing for USB installs and it appears to be working great! I tried it on four different laptops. Two of them were newer netbooks and they didn't want to install ReactOS, but it is most likely due to hardware compatability and not because of the USB installation. I was curious to try it because those computers don't have CD drives thus I haven't been able to see how well ReactOS runs on them. The other two laptops used worked great. I used Rufus to create the bootable USB.

The only thing that made me initially think it didn't work was that it gave an error message about the hive missing after installation when trying to boot ReactOS. Vgal posted about it mentioning that you need to edit a file to lower the amount of drives by one because it counts the USB flash drive as a connected drive or something. Once I did that it loaded ReactOS as usual. As for other USB improvements, everything remained mostly unchanged. For example, after copying files from a flash drive I removed the flash drive and it immediatly gave the BSOD. The files did transfer though. The other few times I removed the flash drive there was no BSOD. I have no idea if vgal is working on other USB improvements or not. If not, just disregard that.

Can't wait to be able to switch from CD-RW's to USB and test out devices that don't have CD drives. Awesome work vgal and anyone else helping!
jonas7281

Re: Successful USB Install - Good job vgal (and others helping)!

Post by jonas7281 »

hey good one