Propritary Knowledge

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmccay

Propritary Knowledge

Post by jmccay » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:47 am

Given the current audit, I want to find out some more information. What is knowledge that can't be used? Obviously if you memorized, or copied, MFC (or other propriatary code) and placed it into the source for ROS, that would cause problems in the United States.

What about if you read a book, or two, about the subject, and how things work? That's not the same as seeing the source code (unless it is a book on the source code which only exist for OS project to knowledge). Can someone use this knowledge on how it works to contribute to furthering the React OS? Thank you.
jmccay

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:20 am

unless it is a book on the source code which only exist for OS project to knowledge
If you have seen the source code you can document how it works. No code of course. Good documentation can be a great help.

Licence on code in book can also have a effect. If book has the code licence to be used anyway you like and was aquired legally and with permission to be under a anyway you like licence. But I would recommend that it has a reference attached ie this code came from X book under X licence. Somecases you can get permission for authors of books to use their code even if it has a strict licence.

Its called the line of gray. Just because something is in a OS does not mean its protected if it exists else where under different rules.

Quick check of you reference material can tell you how much freedom you have or not.

Note books and online basicly have the same rules. Either you have permission or you don't.

Basicly Propritary Knowledge is only Propritary Knowladge if it cannot be obtain under a non restricting licnece.

jmccay

well.

Post by jmccay » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:40 am

I was wondering more about ideas & knowledge I have learned from the subject in the book. You are right about the code from the book, but what about the knowledge? Knowledge like COM interfaces and how things are done.

I am trying to determine what would cross the line like what happened to cause the audit.
jmccay

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am

It depends on the book. Most books examples are public domain. Ie Book write realises that sections of that code could turn up any way. It the odd book with a restrictive licence you have to watch out for.

Normall in the book will have a clause like ALL examples in this book are property of ... and cannot be distrubited with out prior written consent of Author. Don't touch these books with a barge poll.

Knollage and ideas from books without code is knollage. No restriction on use unless you had to sign a licnece/aggreement before you could read the book/site.

99% of cases these restrictions don't apply. Why it just makes it to hard on coders. More likely coders will code with something else.

Crossing the line is aquiring infomation in breach of licences or Single man disasmblely and code production. Without double checking you books/source of infomation I could not say if you are exactly clean or not. 99% chance that you are completely clean no cause of Audit risk.

Over 99% of infomation in coding books is Public Infomation. Just the Author writes it in a more unstandable way. Its the 1 percent you have to be aware of. It does not matter what you are coding reactos or you own project.