Regarding VirtualBox and CMOS

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

CircularTriangle06

Regarding VirtualBox and CMOS

Post by CircularTriangle06 »

r68099, VirtualBox. I've noticed that in debug log, upon starting NTVDM, CMOS load (opening "cmos.ram") always fails with FILE_NOT_FOUND. Also I've noticed that others have it succeeding. If the build is the same, that should mean it's either effect of VirtualBox environment, or host machine, and so, proper NTVDM debug tests would need specific environment to perform?

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Regarding VirtualBox and CMOS

Post by hbelusca »

This is just an informative message for a feature I've added, so there is no need to worry about it.

CircularTriangle06

Post by CircularTriangle06 »

Now it's clear. The cmos.ram file is created in the current DOS prompt directory, and if it's launched from a CD, its creation will fail because current dir is read-only. So, DOS programs must be launched either from a HDD, or from cmd session.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

CircularTriangle06 wrote:Now it's clear. The cmos.ram file is created in the current DOS prompt directory, and if it's launched from a CD, its creation will fail because current dir is read-only. So, DOS programs must be launched either from a HDD, or from cmd session.
Well the dos programs will continue to work even if they are started from a CD. It's just that you'll get the cmos.ram file error in addition (which isn't critical by itself for the functionning of NTVDM nor the DOS program).