Modifying ReactOS

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

aaparsan76

Modifying ReactOS

Post by aaparsan76 »

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how to modify the ReactOS Source Code to have a different boot screen as well as changing the installer text. I am experienced in C, C++ and Assembly.Any help would be appreciated.

-Alexander

jonaspm

Re: Modifying ReactOS

Post by jonaspm »

Do you like the idea of joining the dev team? :) btw, i cant help you, i know there is a boot.png and a text/language file but dont really know :(

aaparsan76

Post by aaparsan76 »

Do you like the idea of joining the dev team? btw, i cant help you, i know there is a boot.png and a text/language file but dont really know
I would like to get some more experience building the operating system first.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Build_Environment

in windows it's inside ntoskrnl.exe you can edit with a resource hacker like in:
http://www.logicalside.com/Win_XP_bootscreen_editing

maybe(should be) the same in reactos

binsys

Post by binsys »

Here is some install UI text in usetup.exe and E:\ReactOS\Src\base\setup\

ConductiveDielectric

Post by ConductiveDielectric »

ReactOS is opensource so you don't have to edit resources of the kernel. You can replace /reactos/ntoskrnl/inbv/logo/1.bmp and rebuild the system. :)

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ConductiveDielectric wrote:ReactOS is opensource so you don't have to edit resources of the kernel. You can replace /reactos/ntoskrnl/inbv/logo/1.bmp and rebuild the system. :)
Yep, but don't forget to save it as a 16-bit bitmap (otherwise, you'll enter into problems).

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

hbelusca wrote:
ConductiveDielectric wrote:ReactOS is opensource so you don't have to edit resources of the kernel. You can replace /reactos/ntoskrnl/inbv/logo/1.bmp and rebuild the system. :)
Yep, but don't forget to save it as a 16-bit bitmap (otherwise, you'll enter into problems).
oh yes, when I replaced the bootscreen the first time I did it as 32bit and got a bsod. with too many colors it took ages to load the image so you should better use only 15 colors.