Source code for importlibs?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

KenJackson

Source code for importlibs?

Post by KenJackson »

There's an importlibs directory in SVN that contains binary library files.

Where's the source code for these libraries?

KenJackson

Re: Source code for importlibs?

Post by KenJackson »

I found the source for libmingwex.a, which is the one that I was looking for.
Here's what I did:

Code: Select all

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com/cvs/src
cvs login    # enter password anoncvs
mkdir cygwin  &&  cd cygwin
cvs checkout winsup/mingw/mingwex
mkdir build  &&  cd build
MINGW=i686-pc-mingw32
../src/winsup/mingw/configure --host=$MINGW --target=$MINGW
make
Then I moved it to the importlibs directory in the reactos source directory (renaming the original to save it, of course). Libraries libcoldname.a and libmingw32.a were also built at the same time, but those weren't causing any problem.

That was one hurtle surmounted. Now I can get past the 15% mark where the build was failing due to that library's link to __alloca.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What exactly are you trying to do here?

KenJackson

Post by KenJackson »

I'm trying to see what's needed to build ReactOS without building a special set of per-project development tools.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

For what purpose?

KenJackson

Post by KenJackson »

You're asking why I don't want to build a unique version of gcc? What if every software project insisted on their own private build of gcc? That seems very undesirable to me.

Of course, since this is an OS it might make sense to have a specific cross compiler for it. After all, gcc lists over 60 platforms it supports. Except that ReactOS's express intent is Windows binary compatibility.

Please don't take offense. I'm very pleased with what ReactOS is doing. I want it to prosper and become a practical, usable, solid alternative.

I want to make a contribution. So I downloaded RosBE and looked it over, but I ended up using my own tools. Also, I'm used to writing my own scripts for everything and arranging things the way I like. I love free software for giving me this capability.

I was pleased when Fedora Linux put some gcc cross-compilers in their repository, including one for MinGW32. This lowers the entry bar for anyone that may want to cross compile, and significantly simplifies things for those of us who were already.

The easier it is to get setup to build ReactOS, the more people will do it. And the more people that get involved, the more testing, bug fixing and enhancing there will be. Patches coming in from a diversity of build environments might make ReactOS much more robust, useful and respected than it would be otherwise.

I think a valuable contribution would be to get it to build with off-the-shelf tools (so to speak), even if the core development team continues to not do it that way.

BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

That sounds like a worthy contribution. Of course, unless the ReactOS guys officially adopted it they may not be able to support it, but perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if users who used an alternate compiling method did testing in both their builds and regular builds.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

KenJackson wrote:I want to make a contribution. So I downloaded RosBE and looked it over, but I ended up using my own tools. Also, I'm used to writing my own scripts for everything and arranging things the way I like. I love free software for giving me this capability.
Its understandable, but please note that we are building our own GCC for a reason. Since GCC cannot create windows binaries out of the box, certain changes are required. Without those, you will most likely end up with build failures or unbootable ISO image. We force ROSBE users to build a certain compiler version to make sure everyone is using exactly the same compiler, returning the same binaries. You can of course try using own setup, but please note that we will not support it. In case of any bugs encountered, you will be on your own.
I was pleased when Fedora Linux put some gcc cross-compilers in their repository, including one for MinGW32. This lowers the entry bar for anyone that may want to cross compile, and significantly simplifies things for those of us who were already.
We dont use stock mingw32, but a patched version, as the original has some features we require - missing. So it will be the same situation as in previous paragraph.
The easier it is to get setup to build ReactOS, the more people will do it. And the more people that get involved, the more testing, bug fixing and enhancing there will be. Patches coming in from a diversity of build environments might make ReactOS much more robust, useful and respected than it would be otherwise.
You are still missing a point. For any chance of making ROS buildable widely, we need a standarised platform, that will produce the same, platform-independent output. Without such, we will end up in ABI hell.
I think a valuable contribution would be to get it to build with off-the-shelf tools (so to speak), even if the core development team continues to not do it that way.
Sure, no problem... Just convince GCC to support SEH. Necessary contributions would need to be done on off-the-shelf tools maintainers, not our project.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

GCC 4.6 should work without modifications. GCC 4.4 (which is used in the current RosBE) needs a patch. GCC 4.7 needs another patch.