Source code owner by wine guys or not

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
CodeVisio
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:36 am

Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by CodeVisio »

Hi,

1) How do I know if a source code is wine or not?
2) For example commdlg32, is it implemented by win guys?

Thanks

Haos
Test Team
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am
Contact:

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by Haos »

Please check media\doc\README.WINE

Other methode is checking the module svn history to find out if its winesynced or not.

BrentNewland
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by BrentNewland »

I'm working on getting that information all integrated into the Wiki, but it will take some time (a few weeks perhaps).

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Comdlg32.dll

The revision log for that file, for example (log link in the wiki page) shows it was syncedwith Wine in February.

hto
Developer
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Post by hto »

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Comdlg32.dll
I think that's too much honor for Comdlg32. A personal page, I mean.

BrentNewland
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by BrentNewland »

Pretty soon it will become a sub-page of the component it's part of (User Interface API/Common Dialog Box Library). I'm hoping to have lots of info for all the files - DLL Dependencies, major changes (in a separate page though), important functions and their implementation status, bug reports, references, and so on.

Trust me, it'll be great when done.

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by vicmarcal »

BrentNewland wrote:Pretty soon it will become a sub-page of the component it's part of (User Interface API/Common Dialog Box Library). I'm hoping to have lots of info for all the files - DLL Dependencies, major changes (in a separate page though), important functions and their implementation status, bug reports, references, and so on.

Trust me, it'll be great when done.
it's a big task but seems it will be a really great step forward in sake of documentation.
Thanks BrentNewLand!

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by Z98 »

Why does that sound like duplication of doxygen?

BrentNewland
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by BrentNewland »

Z98 wrote:Why does that sound like duplication of doxygen?
I'm not really sure.

*edit* Doxygen is overly technical and difficult to navigate for the layman. This will be more of a resource for the general public and developers.

FlyingIsFun1217
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:56 am

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

BrentNewland wrote:
Z98 wrote:Why does that sound like duplication of doxygen?
I'm not really sure.

*edit* Doxygen is overly technical and difficult to navigate for the layman. This will be more of a resource for the general public and developers.
I'm not sure that the Wiki is the proper place for dedicated changelogs for each part/DLL.

FlyingIsFun1217

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by vicmarcal »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:
BrentNewland wrote:
Z98 wrote:Why does that sound like duplication of doxygen?
I'm not really sure.

*edit* Doxygen is overly technical and difficult to navigate for the layman. This will be more of a resource for the general public and developers.
I'm not sure that the Wiki is the proper place for dedicated changelogs for each part/DLL.

FlyingIsFun1217
In Wiki we are currently saving some comments about our code. Wiki must be the place to document our Apis, really.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by Z98 »

I really do not have time this week to deal with this....

1) Laymen wouldn't understand nor do they need to understand this kind of stuff in the first place. Doxygen's value is to developers. And failing that, most of the user mode functions have documentation on msdn already anyway.

2) ROS is far too large and complex for a map of the codebase to be built by hand, especially the statistics you talk about. There's a reason other people on the wiki automate as much of their statistic gathering as possible. I suggest you talk to Haos/Caemyr first if you seriously wish to pursue some kind of live stat count on the codebase.

coldbear1
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 am

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by coldbear1 »

Hi CodeVisio,

I don't know how deep you wanted to get into this. But basically I think it's more like this. A while back in the early days there was some discussion of having the ROS and Wine projects share source (people from both projects thought of this as an advantageous thing). Basically it's a you scratch my back and I scratch yours. So while both originally implemented their own projects commdlg32, now each project uses a customised version of commdlg32 which is specific to their project but contains some common code which is beneficial to both projects.

In other words each project (Wine or ROS) has it's own implementation of commdlg32 which while it may share common source has been retrofitted for the particular project it's used.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by Z98 »

This topic was last touched over seven months ago.

User avatar
EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4430
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Source code owner by wine guys or not

Post by EmuandCo »

coldbear1 wrote:Hi CodeVisio,

I don't know how deep you wanted to get into this. But basically I think it's more like this. A while back in the early days there was some discussion of having the ROS and Wine projects share source (people from both projects thought of this as an advantageous thing). Basically it's a you scratch my back and I scratch yours. So while both originally implemented their own projects commdlg32, now each project uses a customised version of commdlg32 which is specific to their project but contains some common code which is beneficial to both projects.

In other words each project (Wine or ROS) has it's own implementation of commdlg32 which while it may share common source has been retrofitted for the particular project it's used.
Additionally we sync the whole thing with wine. Some files have a small rosdiffs.patch to make it more ROS/Windows compatible, but thats it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest